cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HIPAA --- Handwritten correspondence necessary?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HIPAA --- Handwritten correspondence necessary?

I have seen throughout the messages about the HIPAA process various comments about hand writing your envelope and/or letter.  I was hoping for some consensus to the different statements made about handwriting the letters, as well as the reasons behind doing all this instead of printing letters from a computer. 

• Should I hand write the envelopes? 
  • Should I hand write all the letters too? 
  • What color ink should I use if hand writing? 
  • What color paper should I use for letters and/or envelopes?
  • Why is this beneficial to the HIPPA process?
  • What do I risk by typing the letters and using normal black ink on white paper (which would appear more professional)? 

Thank you so much for your help!

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: HIPAA --- Handwritten correspondence necessary?

Welcome to the forums!

We recommend using personalized stationary or colored paper when writing the pre-HIPAA dispute letter to the CRAs to help avoid an electronic verification of the collection. This is known as E-Oscar (Online Solution for Complete and Accurate Reporting). Using personalized stationary and handwriting the letter makes it very difficult for the CRAs to scan your dispute. You want a human not a computer to investigate your dispute.

For more info: E-Oscar

1.) Handwrite the envelops

2.) No, only handwrite this letter PRE-HIPAA MEDICAL DISPUTE LETTER

3.) Teal is the best color

4.) Doesn't matter, just don't use regular white printer paper

5.) See above paragraph

6.) You risk an E-Oscar verification and the collection will likely remain on your report. A professional appearance doesn't matter.

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forums!

We recommend using personalized stationary or colored paper when writing the pre-HIPAA dispute letter to the CRAs to help avoid an electronic verification of the collection. This is known as E-Oscar (Online Solution for Complete and Accurate Reporting). Using personalized stationary and handwriting the letter makes it very difficult for the CRAs to scan your dispute. You want a human not a computer to investigate your dispute.

For more info: E-Oscar

1.) Handwrite the envelops

2.) No, only handwrite this letter PRE-HIPAA MEDICAL DISPUTE LETTER

3.) Teal is the best color

4.) Doesn't matter, just don't use regular white printer paper

5.) See above paragraph

6.) You risk an E-Oscar verification and the collection will likely remain on your report. A professional appearance doesn't matter.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.  That was very helpful!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.