Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HIPPA question on paid collections from car accident

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

HIPPA question on paid collections from car accident

Hi I am new to the forum but have been reading the HIPPA process and am a little confused. Sorry for any redundant questions that have already been asked.

I was a passenger in a car accident in Fall of 2002. The other driver was in a rental car and rear ended us at a stop light (my car car was totaled). The rental car agency did not settle wth us until January 2005 to pay off my medical bills. My lawyer had written a letter of protection to the hospital and medical providers and physical therapy providers involced. Not all of them accepted the letter and reported on my credit report but have since been paid via my lawyer after the settlement but some of the collections are still showing on some of my credit reports (not all 3 agencies have all the same reported accounts) and I was recently turned down for a mortage. while these were valid debts, it still angers me that they went against me since it was the other driver's admitted fault but the rental car company would not pay a dime until all of my treatment was over which took a couple of years.

I have opted out and updated my info as explained in the first few steps of the HIPPA process on this forum (great info by the way! I had no idea this was possible). My question is now do I just send the HIPPA letters to all 3 CRA? Do I write separate letters for each account or put them all in a single letter? Do I do this even though that were all paid back in 2005?  One of the accounts was refered to a lawyer for collections (did not go to court or become public record) while the rest were with various CAs (NCO, MAF, Financial Credit Services).

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance provided!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: HIPPA question on paid collections from car accident

Welcome to the forums!

I'm sorry all of this happened to you. Sadly, this happens all of the time. I have a few questions. Are all of these med collections reporting a $0 balance? Have you ever disputed these collections? How many collections do you have on each report?

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: HIPPA question on paid collections from car accident

Hi,

Thanks for quick response.

Yes they all have a $0 balance.

Let's see...TU has 2 accounts, EQ has 3 and EX has 5 accounts.

If I remember correctly (sorry was in a lot of pain back then)I tried to dispute some of them back in 2003 when they first showed up as I thought the letter of protection prevented this but that is when I found out that companies did not have to accept a letter of protection. A couple, but not all, of them do have a note in the comments section that they had been disputed.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.