Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I filed a complaint with the BBB against the CA

tag
mberry117
Regular Contributor

I filed a complaint with the BBB against the CA

I have been trying for 8 months now to get 3 paid medicals removed from Experian.  They will not budge.  I have done the HIPPA process all the way to the point of filing a complaint.

I have opted out, did letter one with insert B to the OC.  I then sent a letter the CRA's.  Nothing it was verified and is still there.  I did the alternate DV to the CA, nothing, sent a copy of the green card to the CRA with the next letter...same thing. I have sent the letter to the OC telling them that I am going to file in 10 days...nothing.

So I filed a complaint against the CA with the BBB.  I know not in the list, but I did find something out that I didn't know before.  They told the BBB (I have a copy of the letter) that they are not in violation of the HIPPA rules and that they are a business associate of the OC.

Now what?

Your Latest FICO® Scores
TransUnion 704 Date: 5/11/11
Equifax 666 Date: 5/11/11

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I filed a complaint with the BBB against the CA

HIPAA complaints are not filed against CAs, only OCs. So, the CA never sent you validation? Has EX marked the med collections as "disputed and verified"? Depending on your answers, its possible you might be able to file a complaint against EX with the FTC and/or file a HIPAA complaint against the OC with the Office of Civil Rights.
Message 2 of 23
mberry117
Regular Contributor

The CA sent me validation last year in August. EX has marked the med collections "disputed and verified".

Thanks so much Fused and the board.  I have been able to turn a corner and I got a VA loan at 5.5% interst and I settle on 4/30.  I REALLY want these off.  I have one medical to take care of and that will be paid off next week. (different CA).

What is my next step?

Your Latest FICO® Scores

Message 3 of 23
fused
Moderator Emeritus

EX has been refusing to delete paid med collections and I don't know why. Since EX has marked your med collection as verified, you cannot file a complaint against EX with the FTC. I assume you paid the OC.
Message 4 of 23
mberry117
Regular Contributor

Yes I paid with the letter to the OC with insert B.

So am I stuck at the moment?

Your Latest FICO® Scores

Message 5 of 23
fused
Moderator Emeritus

I'm unclear on a couple of things. Did the CA ever send you validation of the debt? It sounds as though they haven't? Did you send the OC a courtesy letter threatening to file a HIPAA complaint against them?
Message 6 of 23
mberry117
Regular Contributor

They did not send me FULL validation as in signatures things like that.  I was sent copies of computer print outs like a receipt.  I just sent out the courtesy letter a second time yesterday.  The last one was a month ago.

Your Latest FICO® Scores

Message 7 of 23
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Let us know how it goes. If OC refuses to cooperate, send the HIPAA complaint. The ignorance of some healthcare (I work in healthcare) workers baffles me. They got their money and now they want to play dumb.
Message 8 of 23
mberry117
Regular Contributor

Thanks Fused, will do Smiley Happy  I figured I had done everything that I could by now.  I just wanted to check!
Your Latest FICO® Scores

Message 9 of 23
mberry117
Regular Contributor

Hi Fused, well I did wait before I filed.  I just got this yesterday from the OC.  I have sent numerous letters before and this is the first repose that I have gotten (besides my checks being cashed)

" Thank you for your letters and the account payment received on March 9, 2009 by the Risk Management Department and forwarded to Pacient Financial Services for posting.  I appreciate your concern for the privacy of your health information.  Please be assured that we take steps to safeguard patient information in all forms.  If it is necessary to disclose protected health information to our business associates, we do so only after fully executing Business Associate Agreements.

Capitol Credit Services (Capitol) is a business associate of Bayhealth Medical Center. We are permitted by federal law to provide Capitol protected health information if that information is necessary to perform a service for us.  The service Capitol performs is to assist in the collection of delinquent payments. Capitol is also required to provide safeguards your personal information and to protect it from inappropriate use or disclose.

Bayhealth and its business associates (including collection agencies) comply with the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act which includes guidelines for reporting activity to credit bureaus. If you have additional questions about procedures with in our Patient Financial Services Department , please contact  XXXX at XXX."

Hmmm, can we say that they don't know about HIPPA??

So can I file a complaint now?

Your Latest FICO® Scores

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.