Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Medical Account HELP

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical Account HELP

In 2005 I saw a doctor and was under the impression he was covered by my insurance. ‎He was not a bill was generated. The bill began at a figure of something like 275.00. ‎Over the past few years I have been on a pre-pay status with the local clinic here in which ‎this doctor was a member. The clinic has a policy whereby everyone in your family is on ‎one account. In 2006 the bill sat at 75.00. It is currently reporting to the credit bureau at ‎‎75.00. ‎ ‎ The policy of this clinic is that you must be in a prepay status when there is an ‎outstanding bill. So even though my insurance covered 100% of some of my 2 children’s ‎visits. I was charged a minimum of 25.00 for each visit and assured that anything ‎covered by insurance would be credited to my outstanding account. I believe that ‎payments that I have made over the last 3 years should have wiped out this debt. I have ‎spoken with an agent at the clinic the first time we spoke she said yes I see a payment ‎that was not credited and your bill is now 43.00. After that combed through my bank ‎statements and showed her proof of several payments that exceed the amount due, she ‎now says that the balance is something like $17.75. I could pay this no problem. But I ‎still believe that they possibly owe me money as there were several appointments that ‎were wellness appointments and covered 100% by my insurance. I am not sure how to ‎proceed. I have begun the process for HIPPA so far I have opted out. I have mailed to ‎the credit bureaus CRR. I want to insure that this is removed from my credit report. The ‎lady I have been speaking with says that it stays on for 10 years. My understanding is ‎that after I pay this off the CRA should not report on it anymore after the HIPPA process ‎is completed. Experts your help is appreciated. ‎
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Medical Account HELP

On your credit report, how much does it say you owe? I don't advise using the HIPAA process if you (or your kids) are stilling be treated by the same clinic that's harming your credit. Using the HIPAA process will complicate and/or end your relationship with this clinic. If you can find a new clinic or doctor, let me know. I would be more than willing to assist you with the HIPAA letter process.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CA is reporting it as 75.00.  I love my childrens doctor and its the only reason we have stayed with this clinic this long.   They also have somewhat of a monopoly in our town.
Message 3 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

This will be your decision. My job is to inform you of what might happen when using the HIPAA letter process. I suppose you could ask the clinic (doctor or billing manager) to have the CA remove the collection from your reports if you pay it, but I wouldn't hold my breath. If they happen to agree to your request, make sure you have it in writing on the clinic's (or doctor's) letterhead.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fused

Does this mean if I pay the 17.75 they say I owe, I still have no remedy using the HIPPA process?  Your help is greatly appreciated.  I would give the 17.75 to have this off of my report.  

Message 5 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Like I said, if you want this clinic (doctor) to keep treating your children, using the HIPAA process will really complicate matters. The HIPAA letters are full of demands and threats against original creditors (in your case the physician) and collection agencies.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I decided to continue the HIPPA process with this baddie.  I received my letters back from the CRA saying that the account has been verified.  I am not sure which scenario to insert when creating my letter.  I think it should be scenerio A becasue the amount that they are reporting is innacurate.  Help is greatly appreciated. 
Message 7 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Did the CA send you a complete and accurate validation of the debt?
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The CA has not sent anything.  What constitutes complete and accurate?  Should I be looking a an itemized list of charges and payments etc?   If so I have not received it. 
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only thing I ahve received is letters from each of the three credit reporting agencies saying that the CA verified the account.    Thanks in advance.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.