Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on savings...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Advice on savings...

My wife and I have been making great strides in our finances after years of overcoming debt.  We are now in a position that I didn't think we would be in for some time -- debt free. 

We shoud have a good amount left over at the end of each month for savings.  We already have an emergency fund, and monthly budget towards different categories like a 6-month car insurance fund, vacation fund, new car fund etc. 

With the extra money leftover (the point of the topic) I have an option to put up to 20% of my paycheck towards company stock and get a 5% discount.  However, I already have quite a bit of stock built up with my employer (around a third of my stock holdings is company stock).  Should I add to the amount committed to this program, or should I diversify by buying other stocks, etfs or mutual funds outside of the employer program?  A 5% discount from a great employer is great, but I'm concerned about having too concentrated of a position.  Any thought would be appreciated. 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Advice on savings...

Hi @Anonymous, your duplicate post in Personal Finance has been removed.  Please avoid cross-posting in the future; it's confusing to follow and is against our guidelines here. Smiley Wink

--UB

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, diversify, imagine your company having future financial trouble, you don't want to be all in entirely. Employed and invested is a huge leap of faith in any company thats not your own.

I suppose it would also depend on some serious number crunching if you wanted to get deep, but i'll leave that up to you

Message 3 of 10
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Op, I'm not heavy in knowledge of the stocks game, but I like the thought of diversifying, if possible. It just seems like for your scenario, it gives you more flexibility and options. On another note, great job getting out of debt and saving money the way you are!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 4 of 10
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

Congrats on being debt free and in a position to save. Leftover $$ have a tendancy to slip away. I respectfully suggest that savings be made a budget item -- the first one if possible.  Pay yourself first!

Investing is fun. There is a lot of reading material to help you along the way. 

Good luck!

Message 5 of 10
fuzzle
Regular Contributor

holding period, fees, and taxes to consider, but you could of course sell to avoid increasing your exposure

Message 6 of 10
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My wife and I have been making great strides in our finances after years of overcoming debt.  We are now in a position that I didn't think we would be in for some time -- debt free. 

We shoud have a good amount left over at the end of each month for savings.  We already have an emergency fund, and monthly budget towards different categories like a 6-month car insurance fund, vacation fund, new car fund etc. 

With the extra money leftover (the point of the topic) I have an option to put up to 20% of my paycheck towards company stock and get a 5% discount.  However, I already have quite a bit of stock built up with my employer (around a third of my stock holdings is company stock).  Should I add to the amount committed to this program, or should I diversify by buying other stocks, etfs or mutual funds outside of the employer program?  A 5% discount from a great employer is great, but I'm concerned about having too concentrated of a position.  Any thought would be appreciated. 

Can't you sell company stock you have purchased? If yes consider selling existing stock and purchasing other equities, mutual funds and bonds. Then you can continue taking advantage of the 5% discount. As time goes on rinse and repeat. [Is therere some minimum time duration for selling shares you purchase at a discount?]

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 7 of 10
iced
Valued Contributor

@Thomas_Thumb wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Can't you sell company stock you have purchased? If yes consider selling existing stock and purchasing other equities, mutual funds and bonds. Then you can continue taking advantage of the 5% discount. As time goes on rinse and repeat. [Is therere some minimum time duration for selling shares you purchase at a discount?]

Most ESPP plans allow you to sell the stock as soon as it vests. I imagine it's no different for the OP's plan. Some brokerages even allow you to automate this so they sell immediately upon vesting.

The one thing to keep in mind is if you sell within 12 months of vesting, you get to pay income tax on the gains from your purchase price instead of capital gains tax. At a 5% discount, that won't amount to much, though if your ESPP is also doing a 6/12-month lookback for pricing you may be on the hook for those gains too.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if it's your bag or not but I took out a loan, and the bank who is lending me the money is using the loan principal to buy a CD. As I pay off the loan, the CD grows until it's mature. Then according to a promissory note given to me by the bank, once the loan is paid off the bank will keep the interest, and I get to the CD and can cash it out. The idea is to basically take a loan from yourself that shows you can make payments which helps your credit and it forces you to make monthly payments and Save. Your results May Vary but it works for me.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Diversifying is the best decision. Look through the prisma of critical situation. Perhaps your company is under threat of bankrupcy?

Chech out alternative ways to invest your money and relax!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.