Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Articles as proof to DW that apps/new credit are worth the trouble

tag
dabearsv2
Contributor

Articles as proof to DW that apps/new credit are worth the trouble

Maybe this is the wrong location to post this question, if so, mods, please move!

My soon-to-be-DW was about to do an app-o-rama to maximize our wedding spend next month. She was totally on board, but now that it's almost time to app, she is playing devil's advocate and using things I told her against the idea of applying for new credit (go figure lol).

I told her once "never close a credit card that's in good standing" (but I left out the part about, "as long as there is no AF"). All the cards we're looking at are CCs to acquire airline miles for future vacations. Citi AA, Barclays Arrival+, Chase United etc. All of them have the AF waived the 1st year. She wants proof that cancelling them in 1 year, prior to the AF posting, won't hurt her credit score in 10 years. She wants written proof, not my logical explanation.

Any help? Any other articles (TPG or MMS) that may help her understand that App-o-ramas and applying for new credit in general, only impact your credit score negatively for the short term, but ultimately, as long as credit is used smart and correctly, it boosts your score...

FWIW, she has 2 CCs, only with Chase, so her credit portfolio is very weak and undiversified. She likes Chase, I've tried to explain that its best to spread out your credit. She wants proof lol

Current Scores: TU 760, EX 718, EQ 726
Goal: 750 across the board!
My Wallet: CSP 23.8k, AMEX SPG 15k, AMEX BCP 12.9k, Barclay AAviator Red 10k, USBank Club Carlson 10k, BankAmericard Cash Rewards 10k, Citi Plat AA WEMC 7.9k, Chase Freedom 5k, Barclay AAviator Red v2 5k, Chase Hyatt 5k, Amex PRG
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Re: Articles as proof to DW that apps/new credit are worth the trouble

My 2 cents, is that you would be burning bridges down the line. If you cancel after one year to get the free miles, they will realize that. It will not effect your credit. but it could irritate Barclay's etc.. for future TL's

Message 2 of 4
dabearsv2
Contributor

I respectfully disagree. There wouldnt be so many people in this "game" if that were the case. Half the people out there cancel CCs before the AF hits, and as long as you dont cancel immediately after getting the bonus, instead waiting 8-10 months, most don't have a problem with this, as long as you dont abuse the system and continually do this. This is a one time thing, but even if it weren't, most banks wouldnt even care (thats why these boards exist).

Anyways, I am not asking for anyone to play devil's advocate, just looking for any articles or links as proof to my questions Smiley Wink

Current Scores: TU 760, EX 718, EQ 726
Goal: 750 across the board!
My Wallet: CSP 23.8k, AMEX SPG 15k, AMEX BCP 12.9k, Barclay AAviator Red 10k, USBank Club Carlson 10k, BankAmericard Cash Rewards 10k, Citi Plat AA WEMC 7.9k, Chase Freedom 5k, Barclay AAviator Red v2 5k, Chase Hyatt 5k, Amex PRG
Message 3 of 4
Erusidhion
Frequent Contributor

All you can really do in this situation is lay out all the pros and the cons of doing this application spree. Short-term effects and the long-term efftect of such an action. A relationship is 50/50 and as long as you're both communicating 100% about everything; that's all that matters in the end regardless of what decision is made as a result. It sounds like you're in a really good relationship where both parties are aware of credit in general.

Keep communicating and whatever she decides, support her irregardless if you may think it's a bad decision in your mind. At least you laid everything out on the table and tried your best to show the whole picture. I am sorry I cannot provide the articles that you want but there's plenty out there showing both sides of the picture. Congratulations to both of you! I wish you nothing but a successful, long life together!

Also you said she has just two revolving lines of credit? I think I have seen a few posts here and maybe creditboards where some people have hit 800s with just 2-3 cards reporting. And some of them didn't even have installment loans. Diversifying your portfolio is great but make sure there's a great reason to do so. Otherwise just her 2 cards, clean reports, great payment history and a long history will get her to the 800s.

EQ 654 -- 43 Inquiries
TU 695 -- 54 Inquiries
EX 668 -- 50 Inquiries

Utilization: 9% AAoA: 20 months Total History: 3Y
Updated: 08/04/2017 Premier 3B
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.