Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Partners - Startup

tag
RSX
Valued Contributor

Re: Business Partners - Startup

all good points above - one more to add

some businesses don't pay out any money for 1-6 months - you note that he is counting on revenue from the business right away

you will want to reinvest as you bring in money for possibly the first year

if you are always worried about making his payroll, this is going to cause some serious stress

also, since you are draining your savings, you should be the first one paid back

my brother wanted to start a business with me - i said no, because i was honest, that i didnt have the funds to survive until the first payouts started rolling in, likely 6 months in = he ended up running a successful business for the last 20 years, but he was the primary invester and recipient of all funds

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 11 of 20
BlixkEm24
Established Member

Sorry but all I'm hearing is Red flags 🚩 

Current Cards:

Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@BlixkEm24  Me too; that's why I posted because I have severe trust issues and wanted to make sure that I go into this with my head and not my heart.

Message 13 of 20
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My boyfriend and I have decided to start a business together.  He's demanding to be a full partner but has no money, has not cooperated in the setup but tries to be the final decision maker.  In addition, we will need to invest my savings into equipment to start and he is counting on his earnings from the business.  I'm worried that if the relationship doesn't last, I will lose on this investment.  I love him but worry about this business relationship.

I want us to be successful on all fronts but I'm not sure if I will be able to recover if he makes poor decisions.

Advice?

Never mix business and personal. And right now, it sounds like you're letting a personal relationship/feeling drive you toward a business decision.

Message 14 of 20
sxa001
Valued Contributor

At the end of the day you have to do what is right for you. Is he bringing something to the business that you can't such as any special skills? 

I don't think I would start a partnership here because you already said he isn't good with money and doesn't have a savings account and may not be realistic about his expectations.  

Message 15 of 20
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

A lot of great points and experiences in this thread. @Anonymous  this doesn't sound like a good idea. 

Your BF is wanting to put all of the responsibility/ liability on you. 

You've already said he isn't good with money and has no savings. Idk... kind of sounds like he is looking for a free ride. 

Keep us posted if you'd like.

I wish you the best with your business!

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

If you are going to do it, let him buy his equity over time.

Create an S Corp with 1000 shares of stock.

You put in $51k and the company pays you back at 10% interest.

He puts in $1k per month and earns 1% of the company each payment up to 49k.

The company is split 51/49 in your favor.

etc etc etc

That is a very educated response. There are many companies that started out with one person having money and the others not. What they utilized was work, work ethics and time they will put into company to help the company grow. You should also create By Laws to protect both of you. Know where both of you stand within the grounds of the company.

1. Establish titles and roles along with responsibilities of each role.

2. Sign an agreement between the two of you making sure you personal lives do not effect your business lives an call each other on them when you cross the line. High moral will protect the two of you.

3. Rember that there are plenty of businesses where spouses have failed in relationships and marriage, but still run a very successful business together by abiding to their original goals.

4. Make a business plan

5. Allow him to assist you with the decisions but be firm that you are the deciding vote and its your choice to use his recommendations. If that is not an option, you can also write notes on small pieces of paper and allow up to 4 options make each option have 2 pieces of paper. Place in a bag, then draw from the bag. The first option that has pulled twice becomes a mutual decision. This will eliminate  harsh feelings and might allow both you to feel that is was more of a mutual decison and you will usually both work smarter and harder to acheive your goals.

Good luck

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you need to treat him like a collab partner instead of your boyfriend in such situation

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for posting on this subject.  I too am looking to start a small hobby business with my SO.  Even though my SO hasn't asked to be a controlling partner or anything, I still had questions regarding this matter since I will be funding the business 100%. 

Message 19 of 20
compassion101
Established Contributor

I've had a number of small businesses over the years that have had to divvy between investors and those doing the work. Sometimes the investment may be more important, sometimes the work is more important, sometimes it's more equal. If it's 50/50 investment/work, then the first 50% goes to the investor. The other 50 to the one working (assuming they are not taking a salary for the work).

So for example, food truck business that needs 100k investment to buy the truck, insurance, advertising, etc and have a workable cashflow for food. I would first agree on an amount, say investment is worth 40% and the work is 60%. If I'm the sole investor and we are both putting in equal work, I take 100% of 40% investment share and 50% of 60% worker share, so a total of 70% of profit splits. If my partner wanted a bigger share then she could take on more of the work.

Now, making decisions/voting rights in the business is another topic. Not sure if this helps you at all but just my experiences.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.