Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I Add my newborn as AU?

tag
Society1
Regular Contributor

Can I Add my newborn as AU?

I'm having a new born baby within a month so of course I would love the financial freedom for my child m! Can I add a newborn baby as a AU? And just build the credit throughout her life? Any recommendations please tell me 

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Re: Can I Add my newborn as AU?

If I recall correctly, someone else asked almost that exact same question a few weeks ago.  The definitive answer was "No".  Sorry for the bad news.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 2 of 19
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

In all honesty I really don't see the point and it is kinda overkill.

My dd turned 18 got her first card and now has 2 cards. 2 years later her scores are 790 and she is doing well.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 3 of 19
Society1
Regular Contributor

4D440CD4-FA4C-42D8-B9AC-C3A69CAEACB8.jpeg

Message 4 of 19
TekkenQQ7
Established Contributor

Congratulations, on the new born 👶.  I personally think you should keep her out of the crooked system as long as you can. Plus once the information is out there you need to monitor her identity. More work and headache for the rewards she will get eventually. God bless her, I love kids.

Message 5 of 19
iced
Valued Contributor

Having a good credit score is pointless if one isn't taught to manage their finances properly as they'll find ways to lose the score, but someone who is taught to manage their finances will find they have a good score with no additional effort.

To put it metaphorically, taking your child's tests for them doesn't teach them the material, and as soon as you stop taking their tests for them they'll start to score poorly. Teach them the material and the good test scores come naturally.

Message 6 of 19
Society1
Regular Contributor

Well said buddy but I believe in each one teach one. Meaning I didn't have the opportunity to have credit or what a AU & the importance of it at a early age. So any knowledge that I can pass before & set up early I will do & as she ages teach her financial literacy 

Message 7 of 19
GatorGuy
Valued Contributor

I added my 6 year olds.

You can help your children build good credit AND teach them proper financial discipline.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Usually no, Most companies require the child the be about 13YO

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think each bank has different rules but regardless they have to be old enough to be able to consent to it. 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.