Can I Add my newborn as AU?

tag
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Can I Add my newborn as AU?

@GatorGuy wrote:

I added my 6 year olds.

You can help your children build good credit AND teach them proper financial discipline.

@GatorGuy , what companies allowed you to add your 6yo(s)?

Message 11 of 19
GrandBay
Frequent Contributor

@Society1 most banks or CCs start at age 13 including Apple

Message 12 of 19
GrandBay
Frequent Contributor

@GatorGuy 

which company allowed you to add a 6 year old?

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did we ever get an answer on this? I have a friend who started their positive credit journey as an AU at 16yr old, and they are now 30, with a 6yr old who wants to help set them up for success(including teaching them what to do and what not to do).

Message 14 of 19
Rudy1
Established Contributor

Depends on the issuer if they don't have a minimum age requirment I don't see why not. I added my DD to 2 of my credit cards so she will build her credit. My DD is 12 though.

>
Goal Cards:
Message 15 of 19
Kree
Established Contributor

My now 6 year old has been an authorized user since birth on my Capital One account.

Message 16 of 19
ToughFistFight
Frequent Contributor

I added one of my kids when he was 17.  I have definitely taught him way more than school has.  He knows way more than his peers.  They come to me for financial advice.  Im glad to help.  Even their parents are clueless.  

I plan on adding my other kiddies in their mid teens.  Im definitely teaching them responsibility. 

Chase Business Ink 20k PenFed Plat Rewards VS 25k NFCU Go Rewards 20k BECU 30k Chase FU 6k GM Biz 21k NFCU Flag 21k Amex BCP 26k Disco IT 18k FNBO Biz 11k Costco Citi Biz 8.1k Amex EDP 2k Gold Delta Skymiles Biz 5k Amazon Prime 10k USBank Cash 12k Amex Biz Plat Rewards NPSL Amex BCB NPSL
Message 17 of 19
ToughFistFight
Frequent Contributor

@Kree  Have you seen a credit report yet?  Or see if a score is available yet?   That would be interesting to see.  Smiley Happy

Chase Business Ink 20k PenFed Plat Rewards VS 25k NFCU Go Rewards 20k BECU 30k Chase FU 6k GM Biz 21k NFCU Flag 21k Amex BCP 26k Disco IT 18k FNBO Biz 11k Costco Citi Biz 8.1k Amex EDP 2k Gold Delta Skymiles Biz 5k Amazon Prime 10k USBank Cash 12k Amex Biz Plat Rewards NPSL Amex BCB NPSL
Message 18 of 19
Kree
Established Contributor

I haven't gone looking, but they legally aren't allowed to create a credit report until someone is 18, so I don't think one exists.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.