Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car & Boyfriiend; HELP

tag
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

Re: Car & Boyfriiend; HELP

Ok, so you also need advice on the dealership sharks.   Many members in this thread have gave you advice on various models/brands that are typically reliable. Dont leave out Toyota's as they are generally bullet proof.  Also, any of the Ford or GM smaller type cars are reliable as well ( finally) as of recent years so don't overlook them either if you see something you like. Now a days pretty much any newer car, 2008-2015 from the top import or domestic brands are reliable. Now, that said, figure out what you like and pick something. Use the internet as many have said to learn about the car and get an idea of what it will cost. 

PAY ATTENTION HERE.   If you are already approved thru a CU or other Bank and you feel its a reasonable rate that you're happy with, DO NOT LET THE DEALER RUN YOUR CREDIT or you can end up with a ton of INQ's.  This is extremely important if you find yourself at a used car dealer or even the used car department of a regular dealership.  You also need to walk into a dealshership knowing the car you want and just as important, knowing exactly what you're willing to pay for that car.  YOU dictate the price. Not them !   YOU control the process of buying this car. Not them !   Its your money.  Do not let them intimidate you !!!!   If they make you uncomfortable and continue to do so, thank them for their time and walk out. There are other cars and other dealers.  Arm yourself with knowledge and you will have a good experience with this process.

As for your boyfriend and the cosign thing, I think enough folks have chimmed in here and you get the idea. Be your own Woman and do what you feel is right for you .  Do some research, spend a few hours on the computer to figure out what you like, what its reliability rating is and how much you're willing to pay for it .   

Keep in mind you do have the opportunity to take your time with in reason as you mentioned you can borrow his car. A few weeks should be more than enough time to research and make a good purchase.  Check out Edmunds.com and Kellybluebook.com  both are good sources to learn the value of used cars . Good luck with this and keep us posted along the way. This forum will help get you thru this  Smiley Wink

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 21 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Many of your foreign brands are now assembled in plants right here in the US. Choose a car that is from a reliable brand & model. Check it carefully. Bring a mechanically inclined friend or relative with you. (BTW, that's NOT your boyfriend who has a hard on for one or two brands.) Be aggressive with the salesmen. Sometimes I get accused of being a b because I make it clear that I'm not talking to them. I'm browsing.

Just an excuse people use to buy foreign cars to make themselves feel better. Follow the money trail. 

If you don't support American products and American companies, you cannot complain about the economy because you are part of the problem. Period.

Message 22 of 34
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Many of your foreign brands are now assembled in plants right here in the US. Choose a car that is from a reliable brand & model. Check it carefully. Bring a mechanically inclined friend or relative with you. (BTW, that's NOT your boyfriend who has a hard on for one or two brands.) Be aggressive with the salesmen. Sometimes I get accused of being a b because I make it clear that I'm not talking to them. I'm browsing.

Just an excuse people use to buy foreign cars to make themselves feel better. Follow the money trail. 

If you don't support American products and American companies, you cannot complain about the economy because you are part of the problem. Period.

An opinion worth noting but perhaps for a different forum or thread.  Lets not hijack the OP's thread and debate the economic interests of America.

I hope the OP does her research and buys what will suit her for this time in her life.  We are here to help her make a sound financial decision whether she chooses to buy a Ford or Nissan.

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 23 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditwiser wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

An opinion worth noting but perhaps for a different forum or thread.  Lets not hijack the OP's thread and debate the economic interests of America.

I hope the OP does her research and buys what will suit her for this time in her life.  We are here to help her make a sound financial decision whether she chooses to buy a Ford or Nissan.

I do apologize if anyone felt that my comments seemed aggressive or if it felt like I was 'hijacking' the thread in any way.

It is just something I am deeply passionate about, so I hope you can understand with that being said.

I wanted to provoke some thought as it is an important investment.

Good luck either way, OP.

Message 24 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditwiser wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I do apologize if anyone felt that my comments seemed aggressive or if it felt like I was 'hijacking' the thread in any way.

It is just something I am deeply passionate about, so I hope you can understand with that being said.

We can tell that it's important to you. The reason American car manufacturers flew in private jets to Washington to beg for bailouts is because they weren't competitive in the market or responsive to what consumers wanted & were purchasing. That cost them dearly, both financially & in consumer's perceptions of their companies. I've owned lots of cars, foreign & domestic. As long as it's reliable, I don't care who built it or where. If you want people to buy your product, you have to be competitive.

Message 25 of 34
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Creditwiser wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

http://fortune.com/2015/06/29/cars-made-in-america/

We live in a world of multinationals: if Honda/Toyota can make it work in Tennessee among other places, why can't Chrysler or Ford?  Supporting an American company does not necessarily mean supporting our direct economy... I agree Made in America means something, but many things from American companies, simply aren't.

        
Message 26 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

If someone would willingly give their own money to a foreign company over an American one, there is something seriously wrong with their priorities! They need to study up on how this country was founded, how many people have spilled blood for our freedom and how lucky we really are. Regardless of if 'the parts are made overseas' etc, it is nothing I haven't heard before as I have family who have worked in the industry for over 30 years. It is a sad thing to see companies not supporting the US, and they are no better than those people driving around in a Honda. 'The Big Three' are a huge part of this countries economy and always have been, supplying millions of us with jobs and wages. Why drive an ugly looking Toyota around, complaining about the state of the economy and this country, desperately trying to find arguments for when people ask you: "Why are you not trying to support the country you live in?".

Embarrassing. Being an American should involve that you are proud of the fact!

“And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country.”
~John F. Kennedy

Message 27 of 34
SisterGirl
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for all of the advice! My boyfriend isn't too happy about my choice, so I can't really ask him ..

Does anyone have any tips on going to car dealerships? I went to the Mistubishi Dealership in Arlington Texas and it was a nightmare. I had a copy of my credit report and a paper from my credit union agreeing to finance a used car for me at 5% (Not great but you guys know how it goes) and I brought my report in case they could match the financing.

Anyway, I felt like they were pressuring me to buy a car right there like I couldn't even look a few minutes by myself, and they kept bringing managers by everytime I wanted to leave. I want to take my time to get a car, I mean I'm gonna have it for awhile. I like the idea of improving my credit with a revolving loan since I have such a thin profile, but I don't know if I can go through that pain again. Smiley Sad

I'm in Dallas & I would tell you to check out Don Davis Auto Group or CarMax in Arlington just off I-20 !  I'd be willing to bet you can find decent for what you want to pay for. I puchased my 2009 Honda CRV in 2012 & never looked back.....13k miles - certain accessories already added by previous owner - NEVER had any trouble to this day. Before that I had a cash car that was a 1988 Nissan Stanza Wagon 5 speed that I ran 263k miles; if my mechanic didn't pass away of pancreatic cancer, I'd still be rolling in that sucker....Smiley Wink

And before that I had a 1978 Datsun 510 4 speed - paid $800 dollars for at a local auction, needed a paint job like 5 years ago, interior was ROUGH to say the least, but Froggy could jump ( that was her name because it was green like Frogger). From there is when I learned how to work a manual transmission)

Good luck in your search !

SisterGirl
Message 28 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forgive me, as I didn't read this entire thread. I was shocked that your boyfriend thinks that you won't find a reliable car for 10k. Sounds like boyfriend doesn't know much about cars, other than how to finance them. Don't go in to debt if you are not comfortable. Take another 5k and buy a reliable car. I find it a bit strange and controlling that he only wants you to be in a Lexus.

Message 29 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amen Annipoo!

2008 Lexus IS 250 in 2013. Needed a tire. Big O Tires. Cost $450. That car can not be rotated (tires).

Buy within your means.

Carmax. Edmunds dot com. Autotrader dot com.

Btw: I love Honda and Ford. Most reliable beaters I've ever rolled over 150k miles in. Also, funny note beat up cars attract less attention: ergo less worry of hijack in parking lots and people generally stay out of your way when your flying down the highway.
Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.