Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Child Support & Score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Child Support & Score

I was disabled for several years when I was initially divorced, and didn't receive disability until much later. Long story short, my child support went into arrears and did nothing but grow. We're talking a LOT of money. Of course, it's been reported on my credit reports and keeps my score at around a 700, no matter what.

Recent events have made things to where the ex is having the debt forgiven. How much can I expect my score to go up when it's removed? I've no other punitive items on my report. Any advice or comments regarding your personal experiences would be appreciated.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Child Support & Score

A question like this will depend on the rest of your report - if you have a typical usage profile and this is your only derogatory, I can’t put a number on it but it should be a pretty healthy bump. Losing the final derog and getting a squeaky clean file seems to yield increases of anywhere from 30-80 points depending on the individual.
Message 2 of 3
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

Re: Child Support & Score

@Anonymous wrote:
I was disabled for several years when I was initially divorced, and didn't receive disability until much later. Long story short, my child support went into arrears and did nothing but grow. We're talking a LOT of money. Of course, it's been reported on my credit reports and keeps my score at around a 700, no matter what.

Recent events have made things to where the ex is having the debt forgiven. How much can I expect my score to go up when it's removed? I've no other punitive items on my report. Any advice or comments regarding your personal experiences would be appreciated.

Even if the debt is forgiven, I believe it will stay on your reports for 7 years.   Not sure how they calculate DOFD for child support.   

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.