cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Claiming "not mine" on a joint credit card account

tag
Malinorne

Claiming "not mine" on a joint credit card account

My husband and I applied for a credit card numerous years ago. I had completely forgotten about the card until I saw it on my credit report last fall. After investigation, I found my card still attached to the letter from the credit institution. I never activated my card. My husband ran up $7500 (maxing it out), within the first 2 months of opening it. I'd like to remove my name from the card. I never used my card. I never even activated my card.

The bill always came in my name, but my husband always received the mail, opened it (without my consent), and made payments on the card. Now he's not making payments on the card, hence I discovered that we have a credit card together as the company is calling me trying to collect, and they won't remove my name from the card even though I never activitated or used my card. I don't want to be responsible for my husband's debt.

How do I get my name removed from this card?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Genkeim
Frequent Contributor

Re: Claiming "not mine" on a joint credit card account

If it was opened as joint account I'm afraid you're proabably stuck with it. The account is a joint responsibility regardless of who uses it. 

NFCU NavCheck $15k | NFCU cashRewards $12.5k | NFCU goRewards $12.5k |AMEX SPG $10k | Citi AA WEMC $6.5k | CSP $5k | Wal-Mart MC $4.5k | US Air WMC $3.9k | Amex Everyday $2k | Amex BCE $2k | Chase Freedom $1k | Discover IT $800
Current Scores:Equifax 697 (myFICO 4/14), TransUnion 699 (Discover 5/14), Experian 754 (Amex 5/14)
Message 2 of 19
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Malinorne wrote:

My husband and I applied for a credit card numerous years ago. I had completely forgotten about the card until I saw it on my credit report last fall. After investigation, I found my card still attached to the letter from the credit institution. I never activated my card. My husband ran up $7500 (maxing it out), within the first 2 months of opening it. I'd like to remove my name from the card. I never used my card. I never even activated my card.

The bill always came in my name, but my husband always received the mail, opened it (without my consent), and made payments on the card. Now he's not making payments on the card, hence I discovered that we have a credit card together as the company is calling me trying to collect, and they won't remove my name from the card even though I never activitated or used my card. I don't want to be responsible for my husband's debt.

How do I get my name removed from this card?

If you were a joint applicant, you'd be responsible for the account.  If you were just an AU, that might be a different story.  Also, if you're in a community property state, that would affect how the debt could be collected.   You may want to post over in the "Rebuilding" section, as the regulars there might have better information on this type of situation.  Good luck in the resolution!

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 3 of 19
Involver
Valued Contributor

Yeah you don't really have an out in this one.

Also your husband does not need permission to open mail for an account on which he is a joint applicant, even if the bill is only addressed to you.  But that's neither here nor there.  

Message 4 of 19
john398
Senior Contributor

Did you sgn the application or did he just use your info?

Message 5 of 19
Malinorne

Unfortunately, I did sign for it. I didn't know, at the time I was signing up for a credit card with him. He's been very irresponsible with money for at least the last decade. We've had separate checking accounts for longer than that because of his inability to control his spending.

He got a new job and we transfered my IRA over to a CU with his new employer and opened banking accounts (separately) for each of us there too. We had to sign lots of paperwork. I didn't even know I was signing up for it. When the cards came in the mail, I never knew. It was at least 6 years before I even know "we" got a card together. I only discovered it when I applied for a credit report because he filed for divorce on me in the fall. I moved out of the house and had my mail forwarded, so now the bill comes to me. He stopped making payments on it, and it is in default. I never even knew I had this card for 6 years. I realize that's irresponsible of me, but I never made a purchase on this card, I never activitated this card, and now he wants me to split the bill with him. If I would have known that I had a credit card with him, I would have called and cancelled it immediately upon receiving the card 6 years. But again, I didn't know we had a card together. This is the only card we're joint on for virtually this very reason.

We're in a equitable distribution state, not community property.

I wasn't sure if it would be worth the effort to write a letter to dispute the card to the credit reporting agencies. It would be cheaper than getting the lawyers involved, but if it has no chance of working, it's not worth the time.

Thanks for the information and for trying to help. I'll pop over to the rebuilding section later today.

Message 6 of 19
navistar
Regular Contributor

gotta love marriage. mi casa es su casa

MyFico Equifax - 691
MyFico Experian - 692
Barclay Transunion - 682 (Last Updated 03/21/14)

Citi Diamond Preferred - $2,300 / Citi Platinum Select AAdvantage - $5,600 / Barclay - $4,600 / GE Care Credit - $1,000
Current Utilization - 52% / AAoA - 6yrs
Message 7 of 19
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

If you signed the app you are legally liable for the balance and you cannot be removed from the account until it is brought to a 0 balance. There is no way around this. As far as your ex wanting you to pay half that I would just let your divorce attorney work out.

Message 8 of 19
pdog661
Frequent Contributor

Hi - Sorry to hear.  Joint account = 100% (unfortunately) your debt as well.  

If you signed the application you are on the hook.  

Edit - I did not see your post about going through divorce.  

So..... my advice was pointless!!!!

Unfortunately you do not have to be married to apply for joint credit.  Divorce will not take this account away, but you may only need to repay 1/2 the debt.  

Message 9 of 19
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

I hate this for you! Smiley Sad
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.