cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Co-sign with partner on a loan: Good idea?

tag
Rodzilla79

Co-sign with partner on a loan: Good idea?

Here’s the deal. My partner and I have been together almost 4 years now. Best relationship ever for the both of us.  No plans to marry at this time but something we have talked about doing.  So about a month ago we both try to get loans to consolidate separate credit card debt.  Mine was approved for 5,000 and she was denied for 20,000.  She would like me to co-sign for her so she can get this loan.  Here are my questions:

1. I had some bad credit due to student loan default but I have been working on the 18 months.  My credit was around 675 when the most recent loan was approved.  I am concerned that co-signing would drag my credit down.  Is that a legitimate concern? 
  2. When we got the house, I wasn’t on the title because of a recent job change. I am not on the title yet but I was wondering if adding me to the home would be in our best interests financially?  Would it help either one of us in terms of our credit? 

I have no doubt in my mind that she will re-pay the loan but at the same time, I don’t necessarily want to be on the hook if she get really sick and can no longer work.  She understands my POV on situation, but I was hoping some info on the forum could be enlightening.  Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
tacpoly
Established Contributor

Re: Co-sign with partner on a loan: Good idea?

I would only cosign on an uncollateralized loan if I can afford to pay it off by myself, because there are lots of situations when the other person may not be able to pay.   After reading about some of the stories on this forum about someone's credit being messed up because of boyfriends', siblings', parents' irresponsibility, I am even more adamant about it.  I suggest you run the numbers. 

Message 2 of 23
myjourney
Super Contributor

@Rodzilla79 wrote:

Here’s the deal. My partner and I have been together almost 4 years now. Best relationship ever for the both of us.  No plans to marry at this time but something we have talked about doing.  So about a month ago we both try to get loans to consolidate separate credit card debt.  Mine was approved for 5,000 and she was denied for 20,000.  She would like me to co-sign for her so she can get this loan.  Here are my questions:

1. I had some bad credit due to student loan default but I have been working on the 18 months.  My credit was around 675 when the most recent loan was approved.  I am concerned that co-signing would drag my credit down.  Is that a legitimate concern? 
  2. When we got the house, I wasn’t on the title because of a recent job change. I am not on the title yet but I was wondering if adding me to the home would be in our best interests financially?  Would it help either one of us in terms of our credit? 

I have no doubt in my mind that she will re-pay the loan but at the same time, I don’t necessarily want to be on the hook if she get really sick and can no longer work.  She understands my POV on situation, but I was hoping some info on the forum could be enlightening.  Thanks for taking the time to read this!

I don't think you should co-sign and here's a few reasons why but you'll know what to do when you yourself answer these questions.

Who's to say 2 years from now you both won't have grown into other things thus wanting to go separate ways?

No long term commitment per your post only talk of such....whats the hold up or is there something that prevents this?

Why is it if the relationship is so good and perfect your not on the house title but you can co-sign for a loan in both names shouldn't it go both ways?

$20,000 CC debt is a long term fix and frankly shows signs of bad credit decisions in the past that you could be stuck with weather together or not 

If you both are sincere in building a lasting relationship then it should not start in a financial mess which is the number one killer of relationships that start off perfect 

My advice both of you get together and make a plan to fix her credit and use it as a building and bonding time.

Not to be the downer but I see red flags here IMHO

Edit 

Forgot to add putting you on the house tittle would help your credit but not her's that is if no lates have occured if so it would hurt you

Her's can only be helped by paying down the debt

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 23
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I agree with the most part with myjourney. 

However, one point I need to clear up - you do not get any credit benefit being on the house title (deed).  You only get credit benefit if you were on the mortgage, not the deed. The deed is an asset and is not reported to the CRA's but if you were on the mortgage then the mortgage would indeed benefit you and your credit.  In order for her to add you to the mortgage she would have to refinace. That is a discussion in and of itself.

Message 4 of 23
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

If you do co-sign be willing to pay off the loan all by yourself if the relationship does not work out -- to protect your credit you may have tp pay it off yourself if things do not work out.If you are willing to do that, then yes, go ahead. That is the worst case scenario.

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@StartingOver10 wrote:

I agree with the most part with myjourney. 

However, one point I need to clear up - you do not get any credit benefit being on the house title (deed).  You only get credit benefit if you were on the mortgage, not the deed. The deed is an asset and is not reported to the CRA's but if you were on the mortgage then the mortgage would indeed benefit you and your credit.  In order for her to add you to the mortgage she would have to refinace. That is a discussion in and of itself.

+1

Message 6 of 23
ddemari
Super Contributor

I agree with what others have said, I to this day feel guilty I MADE my mom co-sign my school private loans bills. Even though I am paying them off, never late etc, if I decided to stop paying, she would take the bite. With relationships, money is always funny. I have read a lot on co-signing and the best financial experts would advise someone not to co-sign even if they are your own blood. 

If you do co-sign, be prepared to be able to pay off that debt because its yours, too. Things like this can bring strains on a relationship, cause problems and reek havoc for you down the road. Tell your partner sorry, co-signing is just not something I can do. 

Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

no.

Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I disagree to a point with what others have said.  If you think your relationship is solid, marriage or not, and you believe she would pay it back then I don't see the harm in it.  My live-in boyfriend of 3 years has co-founded 2 cars for me and he hasn't had to make one payment on them.  You are the only one that knows the person your girlfriend is and if she is responsible with money or not.  

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should not be entering legal or financial agreements with women who aren't your wife.  

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.