Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Collectors contacting current in-laws about ex's debts

tag
mwlcolorado
Established Member

Collectors contacting current in-laws about ex's debts

So, my ex-wife has apparently stopped paying all of her debts?  I have remarried and moved.  She has never lived in my current residence, however, I continue to receive plenty of her debt collection letters and the phone calls keep coming.  Now, that part doesn't bother me as much, but lately they have tried a new tactic; They are contacting my current wife's parents!  Talk about infuriating!!  I know they didn't get their contact information from my ex as she doesn't even know my current wife, but my question is how the hell did they get that information and what the heck are they thinking??  Not a very fun predicament I'm in to say the least.  I understand they have a little lee-way, but my current in-laws??  Anyway, what would be the best course of action for me here?  I'm worried that once they pass the debt off to someone else, the calls will resume to my in-laws.  I welcome your input! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 626 (EQ) / 646 (TU) / 631 (EX) 10 January 2015
Current Score: 775 (EQ) / 776 (TU) / 754(EX) 30 July 2015
Goal Score: 801

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Collectors contacting current in-laws about ex's debts

Are any of these debts left over from when you were married? Even if you weren't listed as a joint owner of the card/ loan/ debt, you might still be liable, depending on the laws in your state.  Smiley Tongue

Otherwise, the way that they've found out these addresses is through the chain pf addresses on credit reports of ex-wife --> you --> current wife --> her parents. It doesn't mean that they're liable, but all these previous addresses and shared names and old history can be found with stubborn searching.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mlawsonmcse wrote:

So, my ex-wife has apparently stopped paying all of her debts?  I have remarried and moved.  She has never lived in my current residence, however, I continue to receive plenty of her debt collection letters and the phone calls keep coming.  Now, that part doesn't bother me as much, but lately they have tried a new tactic; They are contacting my current wife's parents!  Talk about infuriating!!  I know they didn't get their contact information from my ex as she doesn't even know my current wife, but my question is how the hell did they get that information and what the heck are they thinking??  Not a very fun predicament I'm in to say the least.  I understand they have a little lee-way, but my current in-laws??  Anyway, what would be the best course of action for me here?  I'm worried that once they pass the debt off to someone else, the calls will resume to my in-laws.  I welcome your input! Smiley Happy

What exactly did they say to your wife's parents?

While original creditors have much more leeway, CAs cannot call third parties unless it is an attempt (and I believe they only have one shot at this) to locate you.  Since they already know how to contact you, that means they should not contact anybody else, period.

File a suit against them for FDCPA violations.  You can do this in small claims court.

In the meantime, if the statute of limitations has expired, you can safely write them what we lovingly refer to as a FOAD letter, but better known as a Cease & Desist ordering them to cease all communications with you or anybody else regarding this debt.

Message 3 of 5
dwhanc00
New Contributor

Does that work with Federal Student loans?  The loan is almost 15 yrs old and they recently called my parents on debt for my wife.  This was debt prior to us getting married....

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dwhanc00 wrote:

Does that work with Federal Student loans?  The loan is almost 15 yrs old and they recently called my parents on debt for my wife.  This was debt prior to us getting married....

Probably not.

Original creditors are not controlled by the FDCPA.  And student loans never die.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.