Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concerned about fiance's spending habits

tag
PdxGirl
Valued Member

Concerned about fiance's spending habits

I have been with my BF for 3 years and we recently got engaged.  We are both in our late 50's and have lived together for 2 years.  During that time I have not seen him spend ridiculous amounts of money, but he thinks nothing of going out for dinner or spending big bucks at the grocery store - just charge it!  I am more careful with budgeting for things.  If it's in my budget and I need it, I will buy, so I don't think I am a cheapskate.

At one time I made a lot more money but lost my job and started my own business during the pandemic. I have about $30k in cc debt due to the business, but I also have $30K in liquid investments to pay it off if I need to. My business now makes enough to pay my monthly bills but not a lot extra to pay down the cards. Really hoping the investments will turn around and then I won't have to totally empty my savings account to pay off the debt.

He has a good job but also credit card debt.  He ran up most of the debt when he had a low-paying job.  He has been paying it down, but bought himself some new sports gear ($600), needs a new car (his is literally falling apart), and just got hit with a $7,000 medical bill. He's told me he can't afford to pay it.

I can't figure a way out of debt. I hate that we are getting older and have no assets, no home.  We are renting. We both have some retirement funds but not large amounts. Any suggestions on how we can work together to get out of debt? 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
SeaProbe
Regular Contributor

Re: Concerned about fiance's spending habits

As one of a similar age who has had two marriages and two divorces, I have both failed and also learned a lot from each failure. So take the below with a grain of salt…

The most important part is regular and steady communication, and a *joint* plan for budgeting & spending. The two of you need to agree on a budget and "regular" spend, such as gas, groceries, utilities, insurance and the like. Other non-regular spend should be discussed prior to making any expenditures and in the context of the family budget. A "fun" discretionary budget for each of you, whether it be for splurging or impulse buys, or anything else, is an important part. Without that, it can feel like one of the two is trying to "control" the other.

In short, both of you should work with a budgeting program or spreadsheet, problem solve together, and commit to your joint path forward.

Message 2 of 10
iced
Valued Contributor

@PdxGirl wrote:

I have been with my BF for 3 years and we recently got engaged.  We are both in our late 50's and have lived together for 2 years.  During that time I have not seen him spend ridiculous amounts of money, but he thinks nothing of going out for dinner or spending big bucks at the grocery store - just charge it!  I am more careful with budgeting for things.  If it's in my budget and I need it, I will buy, so I don't think I am a cheapskate.

At one time I made a lot more money but lost my job and started my own business during the pandemic. I have about $30k in cc debt due to the business, but I also have $30K in liquid investments to pay it off if I need to. My business now makes enough to pay my monthly bills but not a lot extra to pay down the cards. Really hoping the investments will turn around and then I won't have to totally empty my savings account to pay off the debt.

He has a good job but also credit card debt.  He ran up most of the debt when he had a low-paying job.  He has been paying it down, but bought himself some new sports gear ($600), needs a new car (his is literally falling apart), and just got hit with a $7,000 medical bill. He's told me he can't afford to pay it.

I can't figure a way out of debt. I hate that we are getting older and have no assets, no home.  We are renting. We both have some retirement funds but not large amounts. Any suggestions on how we can work together to get out of debt? 

That's a question for your fiance. He has to want to get out of debt, you have to want to get out of debt, and you two have to communicate and agree on a plan to do it. If he's not on the same page as you about this, you nor any Internet forum response can put him on that page. He has to go there willingly.

Message 3 of 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Whats the number 1 reason for divorce? $. If it doesnt get under control now. What will happen after the wedding? Time to sit down and come up with a plan. Any purchases have to be approved by both of you. Nothing like a savings account and save what one of you want to purchase. Once you got the cash. Use the card. Get the rewards. You earned it. No interest flying out the window you'll never see again. Finances have to be as a couple. His I'll buy that and you find out later wont cut it. Your a team. Have to work as a team. One sided wont cut it. So the budget will need a sit down plan now. Or do you want to walk down the isle in debt and worry more debt will come as he spends what I'm sure you both work for. Love doesnt concor everything. Especially money. My 2 cents.

Message 4 of 10
JoeRockhead
Senior Contributor

As stated upthread, he has to be a willing participant. Would be best to sit down now and come up with a plan together, for now, as well as what you both want for the future. You'll both need to be committed to it because if one of you is responsible, focused on what's important (and what isn't) for your lifelong financial goals and needs, and the other tends to be irresponsible, frivolous and/or selfish, it's simply a drag on the whole thing in it's entirety. If it continues, sooner or later it will rear it's ugly head, and become a major sore spot in your relationship, and your life.

Message 5 of 10
PdxGirl
Valued Member

Thank you all for your advice.  I don't think he is unwilling, just clueless.  And we are both of an age where we don't want someone else telling us what to do.  We are working together this weekend to document all expenses and income. I think it will be very enlightening for him to see where his money is going.  Next step will be to make budget. Then see if we can both stick to it. Feeling hopeful!

Message 6 of 10
madmann26
Valued Contributor

So the credit world is stressful as it is. People get lured into companies that aren't legit.

Fixing credit is even more stressful.

Relationships and credit is even more stressful.

So this compounds. You're trying to do the right thing and you may have to take it a step further. You've come to the right place to get help.

Sit him down and make a plan. Stick to the plan. 

The old saying is true. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it.

(I'm a guy btw)

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 7 of 10
MeredithLepore
New Contributor

Congratulations on your engagement! Debt can feel overwhelming, but it is possible to get out of it. The first step is to make a plan *together*. Start scheduling a regular "money date" with your partner. During your money date is a great time to bring up your questions, concerns, and goals, and create a plan around them. It's great that you're budgeting for things, but creating a budget together and divvying up the responsibility for certain expenses can ensure both you and your fiance are on the same page and are contributing to financial goals, i.e., getting out of debt and saving up for a home. Once you have a budget, start knocking out your debts *together* one-by-one. This will help you feel accomplished and strengthen your motivation to continue.

Message 8 of 10
Roisin
New Contributor

I'm sorry about the medical bill. Hopefully, your fiance can work out a payment plan. Also, I'm glad you're taking steps to address this issue now, rather than after you're married. I once made a mistake of financially helping a fiance, and after he lost everything I did too. Of course after that I was no help to either of us. 

After being sure to protect yourself financially now -- as others have posted, in the long run your financial journey should be a partnership with shared goals. For starters, you're here on the forum, can your fiance be here too? I'm older than you both, and up until a few years ago I had "no" credit. I've discovered, however, that by checking in here and reading posts, I'm not only educating myself in a relatively painless way, but also, I'm feeling supported as well as inspired to actively engage in improving my credit, which I've done. If you're both participating, or at least reading here, then you'll be learning more as you open up a new, shared, common interest/goal. Also, if you can agree on some way(s) to build in some fun with this, giving yourselves little rewards along the way, it'll help avoid the potential "doom and gloom" your partner may associate with paying down debt.

All that being said, you're still two different people with different strengths and sensibilities; one of you may always be more adept at managing money than the other. Make sure your expectations are realistic, and if so, work out financial goals and a system that's fair and equitable, yet still accomodates each of your unique personalities/strengths. 

Message 9 of 10
AdamCarey

This is it in a nutshell, be honest and create a solid plan regarding "extra expenses".

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.