Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couples - Whether to AU or not

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Couples - Whether to AU or not

DH and I have been married for 17 yrs and together for over 20.  We have always kept finances separate and since I tanked my credit in my early 20's I was never on any of his high limit cards that he got right out of high school.  Fast forward to a year and a half ago, finally got a huge promotion at work and was able to zero my two cards that I had been making min payments on for the last 9 yrs.  

After I showed my zero balance statements to him I got him to add me as an AU on his card.  I told him I didn't want a card I just wanted to take advantage of his stellar credit history.  Within 6 months my score has jumped almost 200 points which is great as I am going to get myself a new car.  We have discussed this and looked at my financial responsibilities and think this is a smart move because with my new job I do have to travel a bit more than before so my 1979 Chevy C10 isn't the most efficient truck to drive 4 hrs one way.

Message 21 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

We are only AU on a few of each other's cards but we still refer to all of our cards as each other's cards. It just works better for both of us and it's not like he can't use them. If there were ever a situation where he needed my cards without me (traveling) I would just AU him and vice versa.
Message 22 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have my girlfriend added to 2 my oldest...We havent had any issues...yet lol. Probably because I locked them up! Smiley Tongue

Message 23 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

My gf and who live together each have our own credit cards for our spending habits. But we do have one joint card for all utilities and nothing but utilities goes on that and we pay in full. We do have an emergency card that is socked drawer for the expection of Netflix for activity. We usually buy groceries with whatever card gives us the most cash back...BCE, freedom, or discover and split it
Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.