Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit use by family member with permission who then changed their mind

tag
DebtJoe
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit use by family member with permission who then changed their mind

Avoid legal trouble at all costs. Find out from an attorney if you should pay the credit card debt, and if so, make sure there is something legal in writing.

Then, you need to cut all ties with this family member and never deal with them again.

Sorry to be so blunt, but the old saying blood is thicker than water is a fools' quote. Bury this relationship now.

I "had" a sister that stole from me and my wife years ago. She is no longer my sister.

8/1/2018 FICO Scores:

6/29/2021 FICO Scores:
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

No worries there.  We have retained an attorney to help sort this . I will say I have been coming to terms with the relationship and how to move forward.  Your adviced is being echoed by many and though hard it is the way I believe I am going to go.  Recently we started blocking her and her friends on facebook, blocking phone numbers, and changing door locks and key codes that she knew and revoking POAs and changing some accts I had that were POD to her- making by husband the beneficiary or my mother of all my accts.  I fear the outcome may of all this maybe slow but most people are saying the same thing as my attorney- with all the evidence I should be ok.  

I must admit I am saddened by this.  I am pregnant with my first child and had hoped she would be part of the next chapter BUT she has put so much unnecessary stress on me with this that I think I would find it very hard to move forwarded with any type of a relationship with her. I sometimes feel very selfish when Inthink that way BUT I know this is for the best.

Message 12 of 15
DebtJoe
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

No worries there.  We have retained an attorney to help sort this . I will say I have been coming to terms with the relationship and how to move forward.  Your adviced is being echoed by many and though hard it is the way I believe I am going to go.  Recently we started blocking her and her friends on facebook, blocking phone numbers, and changing door locks and key codes that she knew and revoking POAs and changing some accts I had that were POD to her- making by husband the beneficiary or my mother of all my accts.  I fear the outcome may of all this maybe slow but most people are saying the same thing as my attorney- with all the evidence I should be ok.  

I must admit I am saddened by this.  I am pregnant with my first child and had hoped she would be part of the next chapter BUT she has put so much unnecessary stress on me with this that I think I would find it very hard to move forwarded with any type of a relationship with her. I sometimes feel very selfish when Inthink that way BUT I know this is for the best.

It's never easy, but you want people in your life who are healthy for your mental well being. Unfortunately sometimes the people who cross the line are important to you.

Maybe one day the relationship can be restored, but now is not that time.

And one last bit of advice to heed. If there are any talks from this family member in the future looking to repair things, make sure it doesn't come with a catch. If you get an olive branch extended to you followed by a sob story, run away fast.

8/1/2018 FICO Scores:

6/29/2021 FICO Scores:
Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

It also sounds llike this new boyfriend is a influence on your sister.He may have created some of the debt himself and has manioulated and convinced her to have you take the fall for it. This sounds like a trap from get go and she played you. The finacned the lavish lifestyle you just spoke off, unable to cover the debts and created this false narrative to not be held legally responsible aka scam!. I'm sorry youre going through this especially while pregnant. However everything done in the dark will come to light, I pray your profession license isn't affected by this and you can move on with as little issues as possible from it. 

Message 14 of 15
dunn2500
Established Contributor

always do financial business in writing....even if it is with family

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.