Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DW annoyed by my credit talk.

tag
wilde6
Established Member

Re: DW annoyed by my credit talk.

No upgrade yet I haven't had the card a full month yet. I will ask to pc once I hit the year mark.
Message 31 of 41
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Something to remember - your wife is raising 4 kids every day as well.  When she is at the grovery store with 4 kids that are fighting I would think which card to use is likely the least of her concerns.  You need to be more understanding of what she has going on in life - there really is more to life than credit card rewards.  I've been in your shoes and, frankly, it just doesn't matter as much to others.  

Message 32 of 41
sarge12
Senior Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Every single person I know, my spouse included, is far less interested in credit stuff than I am.

So I come here Smiley Happy

@SouthJamaica....We here who spend so much time on these forums...are the ones who are abnormal. Most of the world could not tell you a single one of their credit scores if their life depended on it. To be honest, I suspect many of us are OCD about credit. If my refrigerator goes out like it did a few months back, I'm like...eh stuff happens. If by some horrifying accident, I wound up with a late payment or even had to pay interest on a credit card, I would lose sleep over that....yeah, OCD I think.

TU fico08=812 07/16/23
EX fico08=809 07/16/23
EQ fico09=812 07/16/23
EX fico09=821 07/16/23
EQ fico bankcard08=832 07/16/23
TU Fico Bankcard 08=840 07/16/23
EQ NG1 fico=802 04/17/21
EQ Resilience index score=58 03/09/21
Unknown score from EX=784 used by Cap1 07/10/20
Message 33 of 41
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@sarge12 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Every single person I know, my spouse included, is far less interested in credit stuff than I am.

@SouthJamaica....We here who spend so much time on these forums...are the ones who are abnormal. Most of the world could not tell you a single one of their credit scores if their life depended on it. To be honest, I suspect many of us are OCD about credit. If my refrigerator goes out like it did a few months back, I'm like...eh stuff happens. If by some horrifying accident, I wound up with a late payment or even had to pay interest on a credit card, I would lose sleep over that....yeah, OCD I think.

Yeah I started to think that when I noticed that everyone  in the world is less interested in it than we are.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 34 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm the same way with talking about credit constantly when it's on my mind and it frustrates people to no end, especially if they don't understand it. I say if you dont have any active bonuses (like a 3 month bonus if you spend x dollars or 5% or higher cash back or something like that ) then probably just cool it. At the end of the day an occasional missed 3% on groceries feels delflating but it it's still a benefit when it occurs; they don't have to happen.

Message 35 of 41
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@sarge12 wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

Yeah I started to think that when I noticed that everyone  in the world is less interested in it than we are.

Some people are obsessive about the stock market, others hunting or fishing, a few gardening and fewer still just want too collect baseball cards. Then there are the true outliers that obsess about credit cards or credit scores.

My DW wants nothing to do with credit score discussions - "a total waste of time". We don't discuss the topic. I did get her to check her score through Wells Fargo once, it was 850.

Her hobby is maintaining the 8 bird feeders and bird bath so we can keep the deer, rabbits and squirrels happy along with the occassional bird or two. I don't have much interest in discussing bird food but, we do get some cool birds.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 36 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

First, think about the way you talk about it and try to get her involved. You need her buy in not just do what what you say. Spend some time setting down and explaning in a way that she understand (people see things different so go slow and ask questions). She might not really understand what your talking about or get how important it is to you. Maybe give her the 'Rewards' to put to something she wants to do as a goal. Your talking about 1% here or 1.5% what is that on the year? Second you need to ask yourself and her if she cares. That is a hard thing to ask and if the answer is no then think about moving on. If she is all about you doing the money thing and she just spends it however it is what it is. 

Message 37 of 41
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

Most people are able to see the simple math behind 2% is better than 1%. But she needs to be able to see why it matters a lot to you. And once she starts to see (and experience) the benefits, I’m sure she’ll start to buy in. Proposing the discussion as a way for her to “help” you and the finances could also be an encouraging way to help.

[2/2019]
Message 38 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe you are using a wrong kind of persuasion? If you told your wife how exactly she personally can benefit from it, maybe she would agree. I don't quite understand why she is refusing to hear you out, though. It seems like you are trying to do what's good for the family...

Message 39 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you live with your parents and don't pay any rent it means that you have to play by their rules. Until you've fixed your financial situation, you will have to stay in this position. So, disclosing the amount you make at work should not be such a big problem, I guess.

Message 40 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.