Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Date didn't have a credit card

tag
myscorerocks
Regular Contributor

Date didn't have a credit card

I recently was on a date and they said they didn't have any credit cards. I immediately lost interest! I was curious as to why, but I didn't want to ask. Has this happened to you? Would you have felt the same way?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Date didn't have a credit card

If I were considering this person for a long term relationship I definitely would’ve inquired. Whether I would’ve lost interest would depend on the answer and reasoning.
Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myscorerocks wrote:

I recently was on a date and they said they didn't have any credit cards. I immediately lost interest! I was curious as to why, but I didn't want to ask. Has this happened to you? Would you have felt the same way?

"Lost interest" would depend on if the date were male or female Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myscorerocks wrote:

That sucks. Smiley Sad

That wouldn't be a dealbreaker to me unless their reasoning was understandble. If the reasoning were something ridiculousSmiley Indifferent, I will just point to the door. But that's just me. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 25
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

We're there now? A date who does not use credit cards is disqualified? 

When I met my spouse I didn't have credit cards. The conversation came up at work . I bought a new car. Co-worker(s) wanted to know who financed the purchased. I said I paid cash. The scuttlebutt turned that spouse [we were friends, not dating then] gifed me with a luxury car. 

The topic came up as a result of the rumor. He advised me that it's important to establish credit. We both knew the rumor mongers were nuts and had a good laugh. I did apply for a MasterCard called Master Charge then. Had to jump to many hoops to be approved. Anything they asked for I produced. Still denied and co-maker required. My dad co-signed. Denied. Dad was PO'd at that point. His pride was engaged. 

We went to the bank that issues the card. This was the good old days when a bank could make and hand the plastic to you in one vist. My dad spoke to the branch manager who tried to assuage him. Dad acted as if all was well. Manager asked if there was anything else he could do. My dad asked for sissors. He cut his card it two and handed to the manager. Manager was flustered. Dad said he didn't want them losing sleep as he was obviously considered a bum risk. Manager excused himself. He returned with two cards. One card for my dad. One card for me. Different accounts. 

Six months later I applied for another bank card. When I received the card I closed the original. That account is still open and active. The bank that declined with my dad as a co-signer is long gone. The other is thriving.

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since financial issues are one of the two main causes of marital strife, it’s only reasonable to consider compatibility in cash/credit philosophy. If someone’s reasoning is sound for not having credit cards or credit in general and they have good financial stability without it, I likely wouldn’t see it as an issue. However, if they were struggling and missing out on financial freedom because they have unwisely or through being uninformed neglected their credit, AND they are unwilling to educate and potentially change, then I think that relationship would be doomed from the start.
Message 6 of 25
fuzzle
Regular Contributor

Might be a bad sign, but most people with credit cards are carrying debt with a stupid interest rate

Message 7 of 25
myscorerocks
Regular Contributor

If you're 45 and don't have a credit card... well, I can't date you. Can't rent a car or buy a house. Huge dealbreaker! 

Message 8 of 25
LunaBuna
Regular Contributor

It really come down to one question, provided the OP is male.   Is she hot?  

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@myscorerocks wrote:

Statistically speaking, s/he's more likely to be financially responsible than the average credit card user who carries a balance. We on the forums are a rare breed looking to maximize rewards and avoid interest.

My ex didn't have any cards yet at the time we broke up. Her reason to not get one was because her parents got in trouble with them. A young lady I'm talking with nowadays doesn't have any, but it's because she doesn't yet have enough income to apply. We've talked about financial responsibility in general though and we're in-line with each other.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.