cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dating amidst credit repair. Is it Doable?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dating amidst credit repair. Is it Doable?

I'm in my mid-20s and I've been working on making my FICO scores and credit history the best they can possibly be for the future I want.

With that being said, going out has become a luxury and I've had to avoid hanging around my friends and push back dating until I remove the Credit albatross hanging around my neck.

My questions for the single people who are on these forums: How have you managed to fit dating around a credit repair?

Note: I'm staying away from hookups and want something more substantial. Hookups tend to want to do bars and drink, which is a luxury I don't wish to spend on. That meant staying away from online dating and anything resembling that.

So far, I find it really difficult to meet women around my age if drinking and going out is not involved.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dating amidst credit repair. Is it Doable?

You can always go out and not drink. In college, a friend got me into Ballroom dancing, then after going through Army Basic I became a fan of country music. Once I came back I got into country line dancing and thats how I met most of my friends and my current girlfriend (And 1 ex). Both relationships were substantial and we were never really about going out and spending a lot, just having a good time, which is easy when you pick up a skill like dancing (And yes, it really is easy!). And it was especially good since I've been living on my own for the last ~6 years (I'm 26 now) and live on Long Island, NY (One very expensive place!).

My suggestion is to pick up a cheap fun hobby, like dancing, that you can take anywhere and go with it. You can still save money towards credit repair, and rather then having to buy a girl a drink, you can spin her around the floor which helps you get to know her better. At most you would find yourself spending $5-$10 a cover, but usually that place would have a few dance lessons, a live band, and very friendly people to help teach you to dance better which makes it worth it.

Now if you don't want to go out at all.... well good luck, I can't think of much activities that would introduce you to women you don't know/

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where do you live? Are you in or near a major city? With summer weather hitting there should be lots of free activities.  Check out free movie nights in the park.  Bring a picnic basket and a bottle of wine. It's lots of fun!  We also have free concerts.  It's not always my taste in music, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it.  Are you near the mountains or parks with hiking trails?  Again, pack a picnic and head out for a great spot to watch the sunset.  There are so many fun free or nearly free things to do out there.  I promise there are girls your age that want more than just drinking and partying! 

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check out groups that interest you on meetup.  Even though it's not a dating site, you will be doing things with people that share a common interest with you so you may "accidentally" meet someone.  I love the hiking and photography groups in my area and I've met lots of great people in these groups.  Plus, a lot of the places we go to and the things we do are absolutely free!

***moderators, I'm sorry if I'm not supposed to mention another site here!

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in NYC. There's no shortage of free events.

"Bring a picnic basket and a bottle of wine. It's lots of fun!  We also have free concerts.  It's not always my taste in music, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it.  Are you near the mountains or parks with hiking trails?  Again, pack a picnic and head out for a great spot to watch the sunset.  There are so many fun free or nearly free things to do out there."

I would love to find a woman into hiking that would kick my butt into great shape, but I haven't met her yet.

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seriously, look into hiking groups in New York! If I can find some in Miami where the world is flat, I know there have to be some in NYC.  LOL.  I've also joined some of the Smokey Mountain hiking groups because I like to vacation in East Tennessee and have made lots of friends that I hike with when I'm there.

Message 6 of 13
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Netflix is only $11.99, no but seriously, there are so many free events that you'd be able to go and meet people at, even if you don't meet anyone at the very least you'd have a good time!. Me and my DW went to The Broad Art Museum in LA and it was free! We had a blast and would've happily paid to go in. Go to a BBQ with friends and all pitch in! Cuts the costs to minimal.
Message 7 of 13
RonM21
Valued Contributor

It can be done OP, but there is nothing wrong with it being done responsibly. And seriously, if someone you want to date gives you a hard time because you're trying to better yourself, versus supporting you, being understanding, and being your biggest cheerleader......well then, they probably aren't right for you anyway right?

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@RM21 wrote:
It can be done OP, but there is nothing wrong with it being done responsibly. And seriously, if someone you want to date gives you a hard time because you're trying to better yourself, versus supporting you, being understanding, and being your biggest cheerleader......well then, they probably aren't right for you anyway right?

+1

You can tell all sorts of things about an individual on how they react to any type of information, and just like on this forum, if you're willing to share, you'll get tremendous feedback from all sorts of angles if one pays attention.

Also anyone who has had an issue (which is the majority) and kicks you to the curb over that, would be a hypocrit anyway and I would suggest they're never worth dating anyway.

I know the stigma, but I was harder on myself than others were on me even when I had my albatross tax lien outstanding... at least dating in the 30's and older, people are fully cognizant that charmed lives exist mostly in fairy tales.

        
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Revelate and RM21 for the words on encouragement.

I started looking on Meetup and will go from there.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.