Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I accept this new job?? ADVISE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do I accept this new job?? ADVISE

So I need some advise. A little about me. Im 23. Attended GA Southern University and moved back in with my parents July 2014. Been living with my folks for 2 years this month rent free. (i work 2 miles from my folks house) Saved a lot of money and paid off $35k (all my student loans) last year. My only payment is a VERY high car payment @ $520 a month. Ive been working for Fifth Third about 1.5 years now. A position has become availabe for a branch manager and they have asked if I am interested. 

The worry....its about 1.5/2 hrs depending on how fast I drive (one way). I could commute but im in a lease so I would have to get rid of the car.

Im also in a very commited relationship and we have been together almost 2 years. If I moved he would be 2.5 hrs away from me Smiley Sad

If I dont accept I think thats puts a bad image out. I just dont know what to do. I also dont know when the next promotion would become availabe and if i would be interviewed for the next one.

Im 23 and want to make the best decision for my career/future. I cant fathom spending $1k a month on rent in a not so nice apartment. Smiley Sad

I just dont know what to do. I want to advance but it will be hard to move. Id rather turn in my lease early, take the hit, buy a used car and commute 1.5 hrs each day. With gas as cheap as it is, I would spend maybe $200 a month on fuel versus $1k a month for rent. 

Advise, insite, etc. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
stellar
Established Contributor

Re: Do I accept this new job?? ADVISE

It doesn't sound like you want to take it.  The long commute is not a good idea.  Don't worry about future prospects, you will have plenty of opportunities in the future. 

Just tell them it isn't a good fit for you right now or that the timing isn't right for you to take it but you may be interested in the future or if there's a position closer to where you live.

Do not make decisions based on your current significant other.  Statistically you will probably have many more relationships.

Message 2 of 7
tacpoly
Established Contributor

How often do bank manager jobs pop up?

Anyway, I would take the job.  2 hours driving distance from your boyfriend isn't that far.  You can afford an apartment now that you've paid off your loan -- it's a good time to become independent and move out of your parents' house (otherwise how long are you planning to live with them?). 

What the heck car are you leasing that it costs $520/month?! 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its a 2015 Sonata turbo fully loaded. 

I was young and dumb when i bought it 2 years ago. It was a mistake and I learned from it. 2 more years left and I get to turn it in. NEVER leasing again. I dotn need lane departure and cooled seats and adaptive cruise control stuff. Way overkill but at 21 I thought it was super cool. lol

I think I will accept the position. My boyfriend bought a house 1.5 years ago and its redoing ALL of it. New walls, moving rooms, new floors, new electrical and plumbing. FULL renovation job so he lives with his parents and works full time as well. Him and his dad are doing all the work themselves. 

So I cant live with my folks forever and we cant move in togehter yet since his house isnt done so I guess I will make the move. If i stayed at my current office i couldnt pay $1100 a month to rent an apt and live across the street from my parents, doesnt make sense.....

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

1.5/2 hours is a LONG commute. Just make sure you won't be burnt out 4 months into this. 4 hours on the road everyday is alot. My commute is 35 min each way and I already feel that 1 hour 10 min is too long. I can't Wait to get home everyday after work.
Message 5 of 7
Thomas_Thumb
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous I need some advise. A little about me. Im 23. Attended GA Southern University and moved back in with my parents July 2014. Been living with my folks for 2 years this month rent free. (i work 2 miles from my folks house) Saved a lot of money and paid off $35k (all my student loans) last year. My only payment is a VERY high car payment @ $520 a month. Ive been working for Fifth Third about 1.5 years now. A position has become availabe for a branch manager and they have asked if I am interested. 

The worry....its about 1.5/2 hrs depending on how fast I drive (one way). I could commute but im in a lease so I would have to get rid of the car.

Im also in a very commited relationship and we have been together almost 2 years. If I moved he would be 2.5 hrs away from me Smiley Sad

If I dont accept I think thats puts a bad image out. I just dont know what to do. I also dont know when the next promotion would become availabe and if i would be interviewed for the next one.

Im 23 and want to make the best decision for my career/future. I cant fathom spending $1k a month on rent in a not so nice apartment. Smiley Sad

I just dont know what to do. I want to advance but it will be hard to move. Id rather turn in my lease early, take the hit, buy a used car and commute 1.5 hrs each day. With gas as cheap as it is, I would spend maybe $200 a month on fuel versus $1k a month for rent. 

Advise, insite, etc. 

Thanks!

Take the job. Get past the sheltered life and jump into a career.

The commute for the relationship is not really that bad for weekend get togethers. If it can't handle the distance - not sure it was strong enough to last anyway.

Fico 9: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 8: .......EQ 850 TU 850 EX 850
Fico 4 .....:. EQ 809 TU 823 EX 830 EX Fico 98: 842
Fico 8 BC:. EQ 892 TU 900 EX 900
Fico 8 AU:. EQ 887 TU 897 EX 899
Fico 4 BC:. EQ 826 TU 858, EX Fico 98 BC: 870
Fico 4 AU:. EQ 831 TU 872, EX Fico 98 AU: 861
VS 3.0:...... EQ 835 TU 835 EX 835
CBIS: ........EQ LN Auto 940 EQ LN Home 870 TU Auto 902 TU Home 950
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, I will be opposite of almost everyone here, but I do make decisions based on my personal relationships, not on my career. When you are on your deathbed are you going to be saying "gee, I wish I had given a little more to my job"? No, your personal relationships are what really matter in life.

Since you are in a committed relationship, talk to him about it. Would he be OK with the commute? What would be the chances of transferring back closer in a few years? If not, would he be willing to move? Or, once you get the manager experience would you be able to move to another employer closer to him? How serious is this- is marriage on the table in the near future?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.