cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you give friends/family credit advice?

tag
masscredit
Valued Contributor

Do you give friends/family credit advice?

When I'm interesting in something I throughly research it. Not only is credit and my scores benefical to my financial life,  I also consider them a hobby and like to think that I am fairly knowledgeable and able to give informed advice.  I don't know it all, there is always something new to learn. With that said, I sometimes pass along what I know to friends and family members that might be able to use the advise. For example, one friend has an interest rate that is "ok" but not the best. If I remember correctly it's 4.9 or 5.9%. So I suggested that he use the credit union that I use (DCU). He should be able to qualify for a rate that is under 2% plus get a free EQ score each month. Did he? Um... no. Then he bought a new car a few months ago and let the dealer take care of his loan again. They are probably buying the loan cheaper and making a few points on the deal. Oh well, I tried. I have a family member with some credit issues. I layed out a road map for her to follow to improve her credit. She took some advice but not much. I did the same for a friend. It took him awhile but he started to follow what I said. He also took a couple of detours from that which set him back.  Like they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 1 of 102
101 REPLIES 101
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Do you give friends/family credit advice?

@masscredit wrote:

When I'm interesting in something I throughly research it. Not only is credit and my scores benefical to my financial life,  I also consider them a hobby and like to think that I am fairly knowledgeable and able to give informed advice.  I don't know it all, there is always something new to learn. With that said, I sometimes pass along what I know to friends and family members that might be able to use the advise. For example, one friend has an interest rate that is "ok" but not the best. If I remember correctly it's 4.9 or 5.9%. So I suggested that he use the credit union that I use (DCU). He should be able to qualify for a rate that is under 2% plus get a free EQ score each month. Did he? Um... no. Then he bought a new car a few months ago and let the dealer take care of his loan again. They are probably buying the loan cheaper and making a few points on the deal. Oh well, I tried. I have a family member with some credit issues. I layed out a road map for her to follow to improve her credit. She took some advice but not much. I did the same for a friend. It took him awhile but he started to follow what I said. He also took a couple of detours from that which set him back.  Like they say, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. 

I might mention a few things here and there but like you I have found many people don't want to hear about it or give up too soon because "It's just too much trouble".

Message 2 of 102
uswala
Senior Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

I might mention a few things here and there but like you I have found many people don't want to hear about it or give up too soon because "It's just too much trouble".

+100 

Totally agree!

Message 3 of 102
jamie123
Valued Contributor

I know a few people that are in financial difficulties for one reason or another. I've tried several times to open a discussion, ya know, just in general terms to try and ease into talking about how to improve one's financial health. All I ever received was blank stares and glassy eyes. I can't believe how stupid some people can be!  They have no understanding of how credit and finance actually works and REFUSE to learn about it. They would rather just keep doing more of what it is that is NOT working for them!

They don't realize how many people and financial institutions are out there looking to fleece them in any way that they can. It drives me crazy to see them make one poor decision after another when they could easily change their circumstances with a little learning and effort.

Starting Score: EQ 653 6/21/12
Current Score: EQ 817 3/10/20 - EX 820 3/13/20 - TU 825 3/03/20
Message 4 of 102
Little_Lulu
Contributor

I've tried to get everyone I know to fix their credit but they just ask me if I'll do it for them. Lol
Message 5 of 102
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@Little_Lulu wrote:
I've tried to get everyone I know to fix their credit but they just ask me if I'll do it for them. Lol

Ha. I'm doing the same thing with a few friends of mine. They don't know where to begin and since joining here I have picked up a wealth of knowledge and feel confident helping anyone that asks for it.

Personal:

Business:

Message 6 of 102
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

@masscredit wrote:

Instead of "...you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink. " I prefer:

It's like Moses, I can bring you to the promise land, but I can't go in with you.

Message 7 of 102
Berk
Established Contributor

A good rule of thumb is that unsolicited advice generally goes unheeded and is fairly often resented. I don't give advice unless I am specifically asked. Then I tell them to check out fico forums and after they have done that, if they have any specific questions I'll be glad to help them. That way they can research for themselves and if they are serious about their credit then I am more than willing to help them. Keeps friends and family happy. If they don't want to change that is on them. Just don't ask me for money.

Message 8 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've worked in various finance related jobs over the years, and have a pretty good grasp on how most of it works.  I generally don't discuss it with friends and family unless it's something they bring up and I have some knowledge to lend.  On the whole car loan thing, I can't tell you the number of people I've told over the years to get a loan set up with their bank or credit union prior to going into the dealership.  But most just don't listen, and end up paying a couple points more on a 60 month loan than if they had gotten a good rate at their own bank.  Some people just dont' care or don't pay attention. 

Message 9 of 102
masscredit
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've worked in various finance related jobs over the years, and have a pretty good grasp on how most of it works.  I generally don't discuss it with friends and family unless it's something they bring up and I have some knowledge to lend.  On the whole car loan thing, I can't tell you the number of people I've told over the years to get a loan set up with their bank or credit union prior to going into the dealership.  But most just don't listen, and end up paying a couple points more on a 60 month loan than if they had gotten a good rate at their own bank.  Some people just dont' care or don't pay attention. 

I experienced this last night. A friend is doing some card shopping so I sent her a message on Facebook. Gave her my number and told her to give me a call. I explained the whole car buying thing to her.  Told her that the salesman isn't her friend and that the finance department is there to make additional money for the dealer. I suggested that she secure fiancing first, gave her the name of the credit union I use and explained the benefits of going with them. She agreed and even pointed out that the dealer will probably run her application through a few banks to get it appropved (limited credit).  At the end of the conversation, she still wanted to see what the saleman that she's bought a few cars from can do for her. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 10 of 102
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.