cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you give friends/family credit advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Do you give friends/family credit advice?

In general I keep my mouth shut however an old friend who own's a business I gave him a few tips but it's not a topic I care to discuss.

Message 61 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

Everybody at work asks me all their questions so I guess so... I do sometimes say "I don't know" though when their head isn't on straight.

Message 62 of 102
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I recently gave a friend and relative advice on how to rebuild their credit. They took that advice and thanked me later. Smiley Happy 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

SDFCU Secured - $5000 / TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 63 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

Usually, I do not give advice as very often people do not like when someone points out what they should do. I may provide some tips when it is asked. Still, I do not like this a lot as I'm not an expert in the given field. 

Message 64 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never try to give some credit advice. I know that it is just wasting time  and efforts

Message 65 of 102
Cprman
Contributor

I have many friends of my wife who have bankruptcies. I could help all of them if they were interested, but only one ever asked. She rebuilt her credit (I pointed her here to be honest) and gave her basic advice on how credit scores work. I find giving unsolicited advice of any type but especially about finances rarely comes across well.

Honestly most things in finance have to come from an individual. In this day an age information is everywhere, it's the will that's so hard.  

5/08 EQ 696.....9/13 EQ 796.....9/17 EX 824, EQ 843
Amex Blue Cash 15K || PenFed Cash Rewards 18K || Chase Freedom 12K || Cap1 Quicksilver 15K || Amazon Prime 3.8K || Citi Double Cash 10.8K
Message 66 of 102
Hotcoals91
Regular Contributor

No. NEVER TRUST AN-Y-BO-DY WITH ANY KIND OF FINANCIAL INFORMATION ABOUT YOU ESPECIALLY IF YOU LOVE THEM/ARE FRIENDS OR FAMILY.
Message 67 of 102
marty56
Super Contributor

After a couple of tries I got my parents to get them to PIF their mortgage.  It felt so good when they did that because it was the right thing to do and I was also happythey listened to me.  Even after all the work I did to fix my credit, helping them made it seem that I finally did have my act together regardless of what my FICO score was.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 68 of 102
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes. Though I might don't have much knowledge as a professional adviser have, still I try my best to help them according to my experience. It helps me to gain more knowledge.

Message 69 of 102
jetsfan2013
Frequent Contributor

I only give advice to those who ask. Unsolicited advice is just wasting time.

Road to rebuilding starts soon
Message 70 of 102
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.