cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you give friends/family credit advice?

Your FICO® Scores can impact your loan interest rates, terms, approvals and more.
Established Contributor

Re: Do you give friends/family credit advice?

As I chimed on here a couple years ago, folks look at me with glazed eyes when I bring up credit. I have seen co-workers and friends open cards and put 90% on them(my stomach turned). Even at church folks only want to hear what will Dave Ramsey do advice. 

Message 81 of 84
Frequent Contributor

I've tried but the bottom line equals LMAO! Like you said you can only lead the horse to the water...

"Give me liberty, or give me credit!" -PlasticDad

Message 82 of 84
Established Contributor

@ninajporter wrote:

I never try to give some credit advice. I know that it is just wasting time  and efforts

I feel the same way. If people really wanted to improve their credit, typing "How to improve credit" into google is within most people's abilities. Anyone doing credit research is bound to come across MyFICO anyway. 

Current

Goal Cards

Message 83 of 84
Frequent Contributor

I overheard a co-worker cut off another who was giving unsolicited personal finance advice, saying something to the tune of...

"John, you know the difference between my coffee and your advice?" John says what? The guy goes "I actually asked for this coffee." and walks out.

Unsolicited advice to those who aren't open to change only will frustrate the one giving it.

Back In the garden until March 2020
FICO 8 Scores as of 4/2019: 626 EQ | 662 TU | 642 EX
Goal: Util down to 25% FICO 8 700
Inq: 16 EQ | 2 TU | 10 EX
NFCU Platinum Visa - $20K | | Barclays AAdvantage Aviator Red World Elite MC - $4K | Amex Platinum NPSL | Amex Hilton - $2K | Dell Financial - $3K | Ikea - $6K | NFCU CLOC - $2.5K | DCU LOC $2K | PayPal MC $1.5K | TD Bank (Samsung) - $1.2K
AAoA 1 Yr AoOA 3 Yrs 8 Mos AoYA 1 Mos
Installment Loans
NFCU HELOAN $15K of $15K
NFCU Consol Loan(Home Repair) $7K of $8.8K @ 10.75%
Toyota $13K of $14K
Guaranteed Rate (Mtge) $124K of 132K
Annual Income ~ $125K

Message 84 of 84