Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake jewelry and the joy of being on the same page

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fake jewelry and the joy of being on the same page

A couple weeks ago my boyfriend ordered a necklace for me that I saw and immediately fell in love with. Now, I'm usually not one for jewelry, but something about this particular heart shape and the black swooping stones were precisely my style, and he was equally impressed. It was on one of those Amazon review sites where you can get things at significant discount, in this case 50% off. It was now only $10, and I had reached my limit of items. So I used all my feminine wiles to entreat him to get it for me, and he happily obliged.

Last night as we were enjoying the necklace I told him that I was just as happy - no, happier - than if he had spent hundreds or thousands on "real" jewelry for me. We've been talking marriage for several months now, and I've mentioned more than once that I'd be happy with a fake diamond in my ring. It's just not that important to me to have a genuine stone on my finger. I'd much rather the money be spent on items that tangibly improve life.

He says I'm the first girlfriend he's had who's been happy when he doesn't spend money on her. After hearing some of his tales, my reply was "Are you kidding? I'd KILL you if you spent that much on me."

Now this necklace is more than just an enjoyment of the style. It's a reminder of how much we're on the same page with finances. Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
surferchris
Valued Contributor

Re: Fake jewelry and the joy of being on the same page

Congrats on your great relationship.  It seems like you are both very mature and thoughtful in your decision-making.  Best of luck with the future.

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

A great relationship in the making here on and out.  We actually take it further in our case.  We don't do gifts at all and haven't done it for years and we love it this way.  Maturity in a relationship is a wonderful thing. It is about having good communication, being compatible financially and intellectually among other things.  You seem to have a very good guy so take good care of him and treat him like the king he is. [ I mean king in a jovial waySmiley Happy]

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have a solid foundation of a great relationship.
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great story and thanks for sharing it.  That must be a great feeling to be on the same page like that.  I've never experienced a relationship where we both saw eye to eye financially.  Maybe one day...  I envy what you have for sure!

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kudos to You!!!

I learned a long time ago that I didn't necessarily need the big fancy jewelry to make me happy. I personally love going on cruises and vacations and I would much rather have a nice 50 dollar "fake" engagement ring on my finger than a 5000 dollar real one and eating ramen noodles and spam for a year. 

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it's important to recognize that this tradition of extremely expensive offerings for a hand in marriage came from dowries, a man was purchasing a woman.

Doing away with it, mutually, is fantastic.

No offense to anyone who adores this tradition, of course, and if you have disposable income, it may seem like pennies to the rest of us. It's all relative.

Message 7 of 17
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it's important to recognize that this tradition of extremely expensive offerings for a hand in marriage came from dowries, a man was purchasing a woman.

Doing away with it, mutually, is fantastic.

No offense to anyone who adores this tradition, of course, and if you have disposable income, it may seem like pennies to the rest of us. It's all relative.

Truth. For people who have tons of disposable income, it may be nice to spend it on fat rings, big weddings or Lamborghinis, but feeling pressure to spend money on unsubstantial things like jewelry or weddings is a danger sign to me. Going into debt for things like that, as so many people do now, seems downright insane.

OP, I'm glad you and your DBF are on the same page. You sound like you're off to a great start.

I would also be watchful because there's a fine line between being intelligently careful about money and being a penny pinching cheapskate. The first is a wonderful, wise thing. The second can be a nightmare.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gunnar419 wrote:

OP, I'm glad you and your DBF are on the same page. You sound like you're off to a great start.

I would also be watchful because there's a fine line between being intelligently careful about money and being a penny pinching cheapskate. The first is a wonderful, wise thing. The second can be a nightmare.

I hear ya and I agree.

We're trying to find the right balance through this period where money is extrmely tight for us. It's been a year since the car accident that caused him to lose his job and be unable to work for a good 10 months or so, and he's never had to live on a tight budget before so it's been interesting, to say the least. I will say there are times these days we just absolutely have to be "penny pinching cheapskates" to avoid going under, as my disability only allows me to work odd jobs and the past several months I have had out of pocket necessary medical expenses that exceed the total amount I get from all income sources combined. (It was pay for it to happen or die.) Yet we still need to eat, and my car needs gas and an oil change and a headlight replaced before anything "fun" can be budgeted in.

It's interesting, too, to have conversations on where to spend any "extra" (sorta?) dollars. Really helps that both of us are pretty self-aware and comfortable talking about mental health needs. Sometimes a "luxury" thing is what is absolutely necessary for sanity at that time, so I personally count it as a health expense. E.g. he has a strong history of going out to the movies as being a "safe place" when seriously overwhelmed, so I found a budget theater that only costs $2-$3/person. We still can't afford to go very often at all, but when needed, it's there, sitcky floor and all. Smiley LOL

Hopefully we'll be abe to relax a bit more soon once either a job or the insurance payout comes through. You're right, it's pretty miserable living like this, and I know people who do it even though they have plenty of money! But we are in looooooorve so we don't care. Kinda. Smiley Tongue

Today is my birthday - his was last week. We aren't doing gifts. But, I am going to wear his necklace today. Smiley Happy It's an honor to walk through such a long, hard rough patch with a person you trust implicitly by your side. I think we're almost out the other side.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

A great relationship in the making here on and out.  We actually take it further in our case.  We don't do gifts at all and haven't done it for years and we love it this way.  Maturity in a relationship is a wonderful thing. It is about having good communication, being compatible financially and intellectually among other things.  You seem to have a very good guy so take good care of him and treat him like the king he is. [ I mean king in a jovial waySmiley Happy]

I definitely will! Smiley Happy

For us, we don't tend to do gifts on traditional dates like birthdays, anniversary, Christmas, or Valentine's. We do, however, fantastically enjoy gifting each other out of the blue, when inspired/able. I agree compatibility is key. We've been together for nearly 2 years now and never did anything special for valentine's or anniversaries or anything. I'm just the type that doesn't pay much attention to that. He typically mentions it as a "significant' date is approaching, and the main thing that shuts him up is when I say "Babe, what all those people want on valentine's and anniversaries and such is the same kind of amazing affection, connection, and care that you give me loads of EVERY SINGLE DAY. I am not being short-changed here!"

He still grumbles about intentions to take me out on fancy date because I "deserve it", and then he goes and applies for jobs instead like he know he should LOL.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.