Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feel bad for my bf

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Feel bad for my bf

I was recently approved for a 16k usbank card. My bf has better cards from better lenders like American Express.

He thought since I was approved for 16k, then he would easily get the platinum card to cover his 3k balance transfer and he was only approved for 800. He just called and when they told him the limit, he asked for 5k so they will go back and review it. Supposedly the computer just gave him 800.

Just feel bad for him and I feel bad using my card now to meet my bonus because he keeps rolling his eyes and complaining when I use mine to pay for things.

I was surprised he only got 800 since he has an SPG, American Express platinum and nice chase cards. My nicest cards are my Dividend and Discover. Lol
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Feel bad for my bf

I think the term "better" is in the eye of the beholder.  US Bank frequently hands out low limits(particularly if you are not a customer).  I can't tell you how many threads that I have read where people have received the Cash+ card with a $500 limit.  That is regardless of how much you make.  Usually a call generates positive reconsiderations on the low limits.

You didn't mention your BF's scores or current UTI.  This could be a factor as well.  Depending on the credit limit where the $3k is coming from, putting 3k on a 5k card will move your scores in the wrong direction.  I would have asked for $12k ......or $16.1k just so my limit will be higher than yours Smiley LOL

Message 2 of 11
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I was recently approved for a 16k usbank card. My bf has better cards from better lenders like American Express.

He thought since I was approved for 16k, then he would easily get the platinum card to cover his 3k balance transfer and he was only approved for 800. He just called and when they told him the limit, he asked for 5k so they will go back and review it. Supposedly the computer just gave him 800.

Just feel bad for him and I feel bad using my card now to meet my bonus because he keeps rolling his eyes and complaining when I use mine to pay for things.

I was surprised he only got 800 since he has an SPG, American Express platinum and nice chase cards. My nicest cards are my Dividend and Discover. Lol

Welcome @Anonymous!  As the post above noted, there could be so many different possible reasons as to why this happened.  Without knowing the details of your boyfriend's profile vs yours, it would be hard to gauge.  There is also the "YMMV" (your mileage may vary) part of this that could be a factor.  Each profile and application are different.  Then, enter in a computer brain that generates its own info and all kinds of results can occur.  I don't think you should feel bad though.  Seriously, for all you know the computer erroneously gave you that Credit Limit lol. Don't be hard on yourself.  

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I totally feel your situation and your bf's. The stars have to align at times and what just dawned on me was no one knows us/You/Him and our intent with credit. Most importantly our character... We're good people trying to make ends meet, taking care of family etc... In the old days, they knew you and your family by name and the banker worked with you to understand the situation. Nowadays, we're all just a bunch of numbers trying to meet the closest hash marks for risk managers to assess your risk and their returns... Welcome Aboard myFICO! Smiley Happy BTW Congrats on your Approval!

Message 4 of 11
CashBackQueen
Frequent Contributor

Credit can be a mysterious thing. Well, congrats on both of the approvals any, fingers crossed that his will grow Smiley Happy
BK7 DC 1/2/18 • Progress as of 5/10/22:

TCL: $89,350 • If it ain't got rewards, I don't want it Smiley Wink
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Pull the new credit card out with style, spin dance move and swipe, blow the smoke off the "barrel", and holster the card safely back in your wallet... just to rub it in

Message 6 of 11
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

if you feel bad now, in 6 months don't go applying for one of his upper tier cards or you will really feel bad when your SL is much higher than his current limit.   ;-p

US Bank isn't the easiest to get, if your above 700 EX score and good income, Amex is quite easy to get. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 7 of 11
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you feel bad for him because he didn't get a limit similar to yours or do you feel bad for him because he's handling it like a child?

Also, as already echoed here, the whole notion that American Express/Chase is somehow better is fluff. If someone is happy with a Venture or It card and it suits their needs, why should they doubt themselves to get a card that doesn't fit their needs? People seriously need to stop letting their credit cards (or clothing/Instagram page/etc) determine their self-worth.

Message 8 of 11
Lucifer
Frequent Contributor

@iced wrote:

Do you feel bad for him because he didn't get a limit similar to yours or do you feel bad for him because he's handling it like a child?

Also, as already echoed here, the whole notion that American Express/Chase is somehow better is fluff. If someone is happy with a Venture or It card and it suits their needs, why should they doubt themselves to get a card that doesn't fit their needs? People seriously need to stop letting their credit cards (or clothing/Instagram page/etc) determine their self-worth.

Totally agree with everything said here......    

In fact, it might be a little unhealthy for both of you(and/or the relationship) to have this end up as some superiority/inferiority thing - particularly since the whole CL thing can be so whacky and unexplainable at times. 

Stay Liquid My Friends...

Starting Score: F8 3xx
Current Score: F8 800+
Goal Score: F8 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 11
FlaDude
Established Contributor

@Lucifer wrote:

@iced wrote:

Totally agree with everything said here......    

In fact, it might be a little unhealthy for both of you(and/or the relationship) to have this end up as some superiority/inferiority thing - particularly since the whole CL thing can be so whacky and unexplainable at times. 

I'll chime in with another agreement with this. If BF is acting childish over something so trivial, do not expect him to improve with age.

Scores: March 21 FICO 8: EX 810, TU 808, EQ 813
AoOA: closed: 36 years, open: 25 years; AAoA: 11.8 years
Amex Gold, Amex Green, Amex Blue, Amex ED, Amex Delta Gold, Amex Hilton Surpass, BoA Platinum Plus, Chase Freedom Unlimited, Chase Amazon, Chase CSP, Chase United Explorer, Citi AA Plat, Sync Lowes, Sync JC Penney - total CL 145k
Loans: Chase car loan (35k/6yrs 0.9%)
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.