Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friendship gone WRONG

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Friendship gone WRONG

Hello Fico freinds, 

Hope everyone reading this had a great but most importanly safe holiday.

Couple months back i signed for a car loan for my "best friend", turns out he was late 7 times on the car payment. 

I was not aware of this until i wanted to get myself a car. Dealer told me that my credit score went dowwwwwn to 620.

I'm wondering if  there's  a way i can prove that i wasn't the one making the payments for the loan. 

I LOVE to turn this nightmare over to my so called friend.      

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Friendship gone WRONG

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello Fico freinds, 

Couple months back i signed for a car loan for my "best friend", turns out he was late 7 times on the car payment. 

I was not aware of this until i wanted to get myself a car. Dealer told me that my credit score went dowwwwwn to 620.

I'm wondering if  there's  a way i can prove that i wasn't the one making the payments for the loan. 

Sorry but you won't be able to do that. If you guaranteed it, you're responsible.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 19
Gunnerboy
Frequent Contributor

I suggest sitting down with your so called best-friend to clarify expectations.  If BF wants no part of paying for the loan, then you'll need to catch up on the late payments.  You might want to look into refinancing.  Tough lesson.

"Not everyone who helps you is a friend, and not everyone who challenges you is an enemy."
Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is obvious why your friend needs a cosigner because of things like this.  I hope you don't get stuck with all the payments.

Message 4 of 19
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

You co-signed for it which means you accepted responsibility if the other person failed to repay.  That’s the whole point of a co-signer. Unfortunately there’s probably not much you can do except not co-sign any future loans. I know. Hindsight’s 20/20. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 5 of 19
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@pinkandgrey wrote:

You co-signed for it which means you accepted responsibility if the other person failed to repay.  That’s the whole point of a co-signer. Unfortunately there’s probably not much you can do except not co-sign any future loans. I know. Hindsight’s 20/20. 

Sorry, but I have to add to Hindsights: Get better friends. What kind of person gets his "best friend" to co-sign for a car loan and never bothers to make a payment and never lets their friend know they're wrecking their credit so they can't now get a car on their own. If it were me I'd convince my "friend" to loan me the keys so I can drive the car to the convenience store and get a couple six packs of beer, and then never return. Now you have your new car, just need to catch up the payments and tell your "friend": Get a life.

Message 6 of 19
iv
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello Fico freinds, 

I'm guessing that you didn't/don't realize what co-signing actually means?

The whole point of having a co-signer is that BOTH of you are individually on the hook for the payments - that's why the lender is more willing to make the loan... they can go after you BOTH for the payments.

So... "proving that you weren't making the payments" would NOT help your case here - having shared access to the online portal for the loan and either ensuring that your "best friend" paid on time, or paying it for them would have been the only way to avoid this. (Well, or refusing to co-sign in the first place!)

You also may not realize that this can go beyond just some late payments - if your "friend" defaults on the loan, the lender could try to collect any remaining balance from you, even after repo-ing the car. You'd have the lates, a repo, a collection, and might be out-of-pocket to pay it off.

Friends don't let friends co-sign... for other friends!

(Family, maybe, sometimes, but try to avoid that, too.)

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:847 TU9:847 EX9:839
EQ5:797 TU4:807 EX2:813 - 2021-06-06
Message 7 of 19
SBR249
Established Contributor

Sorry to hear but there really isn't much you can do unless you are also listed as a co-owner on the title. If that were the case, you could possibly use legal means to compel a sale or buy-out. 

I hate to beat a dead horse, but there isn't much you can do to get your name off the loan. The point of the bank requiring a co-signer to make a loan at the terms given is so they can hold both people responsible for the loan. If they allowed the co-signer to bail at the first (or 7th) sign of trouble, then there wouldn't be much point to co-signing a loan. At this point if your name isn't on the title and your friend is a persistent deadbeat, then there's a good chance that you'll be forced to pay toward an asset that you won't even own to the benefit of your friend. You have my sympathies, but from a legal standpoint, you have very little recourse due to the nature of the contract you signed. 

Message 8 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Dont cosign for anyone even family. Your credit is yours and if anyone should mess it up let it be you alone. Sorry to hear of this.
Message 9 of 19
TheVig
Regular Contributor

Another example of co-signing gone bad. Another example of somebody’s stink becoming someone else’s stink.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.