Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grocery vent...

tag
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Grocery vent...

Just a money relationship vent.

Fed DH dinner and offered him a thermos of coffee for his 2 hour drive.  He declined the coffee.  Ok.  I am good with that.  Since had to buy gas, I gave him my credit card.

He reaches his destination - just about 2 hours down the road.  He cheerfully calls me up and says he stopped at a grocery store and bought m&m's becuase he had a craving for them.  He bought the BIGGEST bag of m&m's.  And a salad.  And oreo's for me.  (I did not ask for them or hint about them.  I don't buy them unless I am super sick.  For some reason that is the only thing that will stop the vomiting.)

I see DH the next day.  He still has my credit card.  His next sneaky grocery store visit, he claims he bought a 2 liter bottle of soda (I haven't seen it), 2 bags of Doritos, and some other misc things that learned about becuase I found the receipt.   

I am already sick over this.  I mean, really sick over this.  Totally killed our budget and our finances.  

I cash my personal check, pull cash for misc expenses this week.  When I said I was sick, I really was sick over this.  I asked him to go the grocery store becuase I am not doing well with the food I already have.  I said to take the cash out of my wallet to get the food.  Nope.  He takes the cc and charges up on it.  Again.  

$123.07 in new food charges.  I don't charge food on the cc unless I don't have time to get to the bank.  I don't know what's gotten into him.  Normally, he's very good about NOT using the cc and NOT buying junk food.

We have food at home.  Food he loves...food he likes...and he's of the  mental attitude that food is a nutrition source, and it doesn't matter if you like it or not.  You eat it for substance.

Food budget - $450

Spent - $659

Ok, I am done venting for now.  I can handle a little over budget, since there is wiggle room in the gas budget, but not this much overage!  Smiley Mad

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Grocery vent...

It is good to vent and I can understand.  But it was just a one time thing so give him a break...Unless he makes a habit of it, then it is a big problem IMO...

Message 2 of 12
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Sounds like my boyfriend on a lesser scale...he LOVES food (especially take-out, I have spent so much effort to get him to cut down to take-out to once or twice a week). Anyway, I'm sorry he's charging up your cards and it bothers you. But it seems like it REALLY bothers you so maybe have a talk with him about it? (And get your CC back!)

Also, I'm guessing you don't share finances/bank account? Tell him he can use his extra money for his junk food after he's contributed to all the expenses (rent/mortgage, any other payments you two might share, bills, etc) and when he runs out, then he can't buy Doritos 'til next paycheck!

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 3 of 12
Fox342
New Contributor

Shoot him.

Fox

"The borrower is slave to the lender."
(EQ: 820) (TU: 827) (EX: 815)
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Fox342 wrote:

Shoot him.

Fox

@Hahahaahahahaha.. You do have a sense of humor you know @ Fox.  Funny..

Message 5 of 12
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Lol - yes - then my food bill really would have gone down!

He has his own credit cards.  We use mine for most purchases for the points.

We do share bank accounts.  I know, it's rare.  And normally, he is and I are same page about finances.  I do the budget, I pay the bills, I keep him in the loop, we make financial decisions together...so his little expensive food detour was very out of character for him and came at a bad time.  

And our history is that we spend whatever on food.  There is a budget amount and we try to stick to it, but we seldom go hungry.

Just bad timing....

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You know, a couple of months ago I read all the way through your thread on saving 100k. Remarkable! A time or two, however, it seemed as if your DH balked at a money saving idea. Wondering if this recent anomaly with him isnt simply a rebellion-of-sorts?  

Message 7 of 12
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

You know, a couple of months ago I read all the way through your thread on saving 100k. Remarkable! A time or two, however, it seemed as if your DH balked at a money saving idea. Wondering if this recent anomaly with him isnt simply a rebellion-of-sorts?  

^^^I think Quiet has a point here. A little m&m rebellion.  Plus, I don't know what it is with long drives and candy, but I find that I really have to exert extra effort to not pick up some candy when I am driving a few hours. I always attributed it to wanting a little sugar rush to keep from getting tired behind the wheel.

I would let it pass, unless you see the behavior crop up again in the future. Then it might be time to sit down and have a heart to heart.

Message 8 of 12
too-much-time
Frequent Contributor

Sugar and processed food are addictive. Do you know anyone who would binge on broccoli or apples?

Message 9 of 12
barbaralee
Established Contributor

I've been binging on fresh corn on the cob and broccoli these last few months, but I am pregnant, and it's what I have been craving. I've also had these terrible cravings for lettuce, but it has to be heart of the lettuce, the really thick pieces that everybody else seems to dislike. An iceberg sawed in half has been my saving grace. Smiley Very Happy Of course this is all offsetted by my sudden desire for slurpees. Smiley Sad

To the OP, I can understand your frustration. We have a strict set amount for groceries, and don't like to deviate from it. I find that money has a way of slipping through the cracks when we do the mindless stopping-at-the-grocery-store-just-because-it's-convenient shopping sprees. We're usually pretty good at sticking to it, but my hubby has a bad habit of not eating if it means he will have to spend money. It's not uncommon for him to go 12 hour shifts with nothing to eat but peanut butter and crackers because he's too lazy (cheap?) to buy himself a sandwich. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.