Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Helping kids get their credit started.

tag
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

Helping kids get their credit started.

6 months ago I added DS (23) and DD (18) to my QS as AUs so that they could start building credit.  At that time we pulled all 3 CR from annualcredittreport.com and both had a collections on thier report.   Disputes got the collections report removed. 

Yesterday we pulled CCT on both and their scores are higher than mine.   Since DS has been recieving Prequals from Cap one he apped their and got a Platinum MC with a SL of $1000.  Not a great card but it gets him started with credit of his own.    DD had been getting prequals from Discover so over there we went and she got a Discover it Chrome for Students with a SL of $1250.  Hers is better because she gets the higher SL and rewards.  

With using my QS they have taken different approaches to how they use it.  DS has been chargeing $100-$300 a month and making two payments a month, DD has put two reccuing subscriptions on it and maybe a tank of gas each month then she makes 1 payment for her small amount owed.

Both ways of handleing it work and they seem to be doing it right.

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Medic981
Valued Contributor

Re: Helping kids get their credit started.

Sounds like they are both off to a great start!

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 2 of 20
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

They are both off to a great start! Way to go

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 3 of 20
blindambition
Senior Contributor

That’s great. Congrats. On their way and showing their responsible.
Times have changed. I remember booths setup at college with banks giving money like candy. The journey is much harder to begin.
Message 4 of 20
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@blindambition wrote:
Times have changed. I remember booths setup at college with banks giving money like candy. The journey is much harder to begin.

I remember those days as well. That is where my credit troubles began. I was uneducated as to the importance of credit scores and was pretty loose with paying back CCC. I am glad the FTC has limited how CCCs can market to college students and those under 21. 

Perhaps there should be a Credit Education Safety Course before you can get a CC akin to the Hunter Safety Course required before you can get a hunting license.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 5 of 20
MakingProgress
Senior Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

I wish I still had the card I got at that booth.  It would be 35 years old now, but alas it went away in my BK in 2005.

FICO 8 Starting Score

Current Scores

Garden Goal is All Reports Clean – Achieved 11/26/20
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is awesome and it sounds like your kids are off to a great credit start. I have added my 17 y.o and 13 y.o to my AMEX platinum card and have set a monthly spend limit. My 13 y.o. does not use her card, but the 17 y.o. is learning to manage her $200 and use her paycheck to pay it off. I like that I can track her spending and talk to her about paying it off. Since its AMEX I am getting her in the habit of paying off each month and not carrying a balance. When she turns 18 next year we will pull her CR and see where she stands then have her apply for her own card.

Message 7 of 20
WD2005
Contributor

I added my 18 year old as an AU on a few of my cards. He was able to get approved for a Discover It Student card after a few months. I keep utilization under 5% on my cards. He started with a $1K limit in August and has managed to up the CL to $2300. He finally has credit scores too as of this month. His TU and EX Fico 8's are in the 730s according to Discover. 

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WD2005 wrote:

I added my 18 year old as an AU on a few of my cards. He was able to get approved for a Discover It Student card after a few months. I keep utilization under 5% on my cards. He started with a $1K limit in August and has managed to up the CL to $2300. He finally has credit scores too as of this month. His TU and EX Fico 8's are in the 730s according to Discover. 

I also started with Discover It right when I turned 18! In just two years they had raised my limit from 1500 to 7000 (w/o any cli). I'm sure thats coming to him as well. They seem to love younger users.

Message 9 of 20
fezwhy
Regular Contributor

You are on the right track.  My son is 14 and he is slowly learning about budgeting and building credit.  Why or why not to do certain things.

I sat down with him and showed him all my monthly bills so he can see where the money goes.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.