Did you mean: 

Holding Off A Commited Relationship

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Holding Off A Commited Relationship

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If money is keeping from a committed relationship what else will it do? Avoid going to the hospital and having a life saving operation because you don't want to pay the deduct? Walk to work every day? Work all the holday overtime?   All the money in the world is not  going to buy you happiness and companionship  when you get older.   You cannot take it with you.  I have seen others in the same line of work as DW and myself do everything to cut corners and cheat their employees.  They have terrible reputtions as etxreme   tightwads. Interesting enough I think karma comes back on them because we out sell and out net them every year and several have folded and we took over their business clients. 

Dw and i simply ask how we would like to be treated. 

Hey now, some of us pay a premium to live somewhere where we can walk to work (and everywhere else we need to go) every day!

I actually knew some one that walked over 5 miles a day each way to work because they would not spend the money for car or bike,  come snow or rain or gloom of night they walked.  When I lived in the big city I lived 2 blocks from the train station and did walk some time depending on weather.  But you know what I mean who walk miles for no reason

Message 31 of 38
iced
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@iced wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If money is keeping from a committed relationship what else will it do? Avoid going to the hospital and having a life saving operation because you don't want to pay the deduct? Walk to work every day? Work all the holday overtime?   All the money in the world is not  going to buy you happiness and companionship  when you get older.   You cannot take it with you.  I have seen others in the same line of work as DW and myself do everything to cut corners and cheat their employees.  They have terrible reputtions as etxreme   tightwads. Interesting enough I think karma comes back on them because we out sell and out net them every year and several have folded and we took over their business clients. 

Dw and i simply ask how we would like to be treated. 

Hey now, some of us pay a premium to live somewhere where we can walk to work (and everywhere else we need to go) every day!

I actually knew some one that walked over 5 miles a day each way to work because they would not spend the money for car or bike,  come snow or rain or gloom of night they walked.  When I lived in the big city I lived 2 blocks from the train station and did walk some time depending on weather.  But you know what I mean who walk miles for no reason

I walk miles for no reason! Smiley Happy

I used to do customer visits around the world, and I would intentionally pick a hotel 1-2 miles from the offices just for the walking. Yes, it took me about 30 minutes each way, and yes I could have just taken a cab and expensed it, but I wanted to walk. Walking is healthy, and that's all the reason I'll ever need. I try to average 10k steps a day, and during vacations it ticks up to about 15k steps a day.

Message 32 of 38
jlitnns
Established Contributor

You know when you know, you know. 

Message 33 of 38
Kree
Established Contributor

I used to walk 1.5 miles to and from work each day to save money.

Then my company started paying for busfair and I now ride that most days, unless its really nice out

Message 34 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DollyLama wrote:

Dumpster diving for dinner just took on a whole new meaning in dating. 

I think this may be one of my favorite posts of all time Smiley Very Happy

Message 35 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess it's all about prioritizing. Once you find the person that will take the second place in your priorities' list (with you being on the first), the question of money will not be that crucial. Also, if you find someone who really is your "soulmate", you both will have a responsible attitude towards money. You won't have to worry about that.

Message 36 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Do any of you hold off being in a commited relationship because

you simply don't want to spend money on that other person whoever it may be?.

Personally finances mean more to me then being in a commited relationship also if children are born, adopted that's

even more of a commitment and costs so much money but I'm practical about the times we all live in please share. Smiley Wink

This is pretty vague.  Do you not want to buy an engagement ring or are you living in your parents basement and don't want to move out?  

Message 37 of 38
fezwhy
Regular Contributor

One of my biggest rules when dating is personal finance.  There are those that don't know how to fix things, those that don't care and those that want to improve it.  Anyone that doesn't care is someone I generally stay away from.

Every person I have dated has had problems with credit and finances.  However with my help we were able to resolve all of them except for one of whom didn't care and we broke up.  Sometimes they just need that extra push of encouragement.  I definitely don't go into a serious relationship with someone totally financially irresponsible.  Sure I have made mistakes, but I made a point to fix all those things.

I admit I stayed with someone for almost 7 years that was utterly and totally financially irresponsible.  By the end of the month she had no clue where the money went.  When I tried to help and budget she hid her bank statements and checkbook from me...  Bad sign right there.  In the end it ruined my credit and took me 8 years to rebuild, rebound to be able to buy a house and car again. Nip it in the bud right away before it's too late!

Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.