cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get my mom to stop carrying a high APR balance with Synchrony?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How can I get my mom to stop carrying a high APR balance with Synchrony?

It's possible that she's buying items that come with 0% terms though. Often times they will run promo offers for 3-6 months interest free on certain items charged to your HSN card.  Do you know if she's actually paying that 30%?

All you can do is suggest, you can't force people to save Money.

Message 11 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It's possible that she's buying items that come with 0% terms though. Often times they will run promo offers for 3-6 months interest free on certain items charged to your HSN card.  Do you know if she's actually paying that 30%?

All you can do is suggest, you can't force people to save Money.

She is paying 30% and not doing any deferred interest. 

A bit over $200 bucks this year gone which I guess isn't bad. I look at it tho as taking two benjamins and flushing them down the toilet. 

Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

My mother just opened a QVC Q-Card after being targated with a $1800 pre-approval and a $20 off offer. She took it and has already run a balance up on it. 

She did this after getting a Chase freedom unlimited pre-qualfiied offer and said she didn't want that. 

So, Doesn't want to take a credit card out with 22% and rewards but takes a QVC one out with 28% interest and no rewards. I give up. I want to call my mother stupid but i can't do that.  

She also is asking me how I got WF to pay me money for using their card. 

Message 13 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sometimes people have no logic to their actions, it is what it is. I'm not sure you'll ever convince her of "your" way of thinking. Especially since she's older. 

In her mind, or at least from what I've read "Shopping Clubs" seem to attract her more. 

Message 14 of 23
wa3more
Established Contributor

Good luck with this. I'm living this nightmare with my wife and mother in law. Wife has been doing this for 32 years despite my input. Just won't listen. I've given up.

Message 15 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I finally broke though. I think telling her to look at her statement and look at the line that said total interest charges for the year of 2019 she finally understood my point of several hundred benjamins's were flushed down the toilet. 

She's been paying the QVC card balance in full each month and been really paying down the HSN card. Down the point the HSN card is only like 5 bucks a month in interest vs what it was before. She's moved all new purchases for these places back to debit. 

Trying to get her to get a real credit card despite being physcially spammed with offers 24/7 but still doesn't want to go down the road. Maybe it's for the better?

Message 16 of 23
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

Good job!!  Nice of you to help mom avoid all the weird interest charges on the shopping channel cards. Maybe after she pays off the HSN card she will consider a real credit card. It's always nice to have a real one just in case something comes up. 

Great work. Good on you!!

Message 17 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't necessarilly say that not using them in favor of debit card is the right answer, a person can still use them and PIF. I would ratehr have only my CC info stored on their site than my debit info. Just me though.

I do agree though, getting a Rewards card of some ind would be more beneficial. 

Message 18 of 23
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think I finally broke though. I think telling her to look at her statement and look at the line that said total interest charges for the year of 2019 she finally understood my point of several hundred benjamins's were flushed down the toilet. 

She's been paying the QVC card balance in full each month and been really paying down the HSN card. Down the point the HSN card is only like 5 bucks a month in interest vs what it was before. She's moved all new purchases for these places back to debit. 

Trying to get her to get a real credit card despite being physcially spammed with offers 24/7 but still doesn't want to go down the road. Maybe it's for the better?

She probably doesn't want a regular credit card because she's afraid she'll run up the balance, as evidenced by her home shopping. Sometimes people get store cards because they know they cant use it anywhere else and they believe it will help to control their spending.

Message 19 of 23
JeffMO
Regular Contributor

Any updates on your progress @Anonymous ? This is a curious read

Capital one 500, Discover 11.1k. UMB Signature visa 18.5k, DW UMB card Auth user 16K. Citi Costco anywhere 26.6k, Amazon Prime 22.3K
BH/Comenity Photo 10k Lowes advantage 35k
AAOA 2y4m, oldest 5 years. 0 collections. 125k income, Util 1% inq 1/12. 1/24. 30/60/90 = 0, No derog's, clean file. Rebuilding started 4 years ago.
Starting Score: 560
Current Score: 795
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.