Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do other do it

tag
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

How do other do it

My DW and I are close no doubt but both very independent........I am AU on some of her cards and likewise she on mine.  She just decided she wanted a Sam's Club MC and applied and was approved for 8K.   She could have just used mine or I would have made her an AU........don't have any problem with this but just curious as to whether other couples have the same or similar cards.  I have an array of Chase cards as she does but they are all different products.  

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How do other do it

Definitely separate cards in my case, almost always.

My partner and I have mostly independent cards. I do have him added as an authorized user on my Chase Freedom because there was a $25 bonus when I applied for adding an authorized user (plus he needs to boost his credit even more than I do). The only other exception is that he's an authorized user on my Sallie Mae because he doesn't have one yet (he's applied twice) and because I never hit the gas cap on my own, so he uses the Sallie Mae for gas and then pays me back minus 2.5% (so we both get 2.5% back on his gas transactions.) If we do end up tying the knot, things will probably be more fluid between us, but it's pretty separate right now.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

In 20 or 30 years when I finally marry my girlfriend, I hope we keep our finances somewhat seperate. I would prefer that she doesn't know exactly how much money I make or spend for fear of her ending her attempted contributions along the/our financial way. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 9
TravellingNomad
Established Contributor

Boss and i have our separate cc's, but im getting the short end of the stick because i pay her card bills lol. But i don't mind it though...majority of her swipes are for the household. The only cc we have the same are the CSP and BofA Alaska Air. I had her as an AU on CSP originally but when she saw it, she wanted her own. With Alaska Air card, it made sense each of us have it for the companion fare (family of 4)...to save on airfare. I am an AU on her Best Buy store card.

Message 4 of 9
aav
Established Contributor

We have separate credit cards except his citi card is somehow tied to my credit. Found that out when my utilization went way up. Since then he's gotten others cards ans sock drawled the citi. He pays all the bills (with my substantial contribution) and my spending is mostly for the HH and personal stuff. He doesn't worry about utilization and I keep mine at 3 to 4% he's quick to throw down a card when someone (family and/or friends) needs something. I'm way more cautious. So definitely different spending habits. 

EQ - 834 TU - 823 EX - 822
Amex NPSL Amex BCP - 25,000, Amex EDC - 12000, Diner's Club Premier -35,000, Ritz Carlton - 22,500 Discover 25,100, Chase Reserve -31,000 Total Rewards 13200, Barclay 10000 Citi Diamond P 8,900
Message 5 of 9
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Wife and I have all different cards but have each other as AU on each and every one.  We went to buy a car and the finance guy asked if we "shared" credit lol.  We've always been this way though, it just works for us.  I make the money, we both spend it and she tracks it all.   

Message 6 of 9
tacpoly
Established Contributor

We use the mine/yours/ours system.  My husband and I have the cc's we came into the marriage with separately.  Then we have two shared accounts: one for everyday spend (2% cash back) and one for travel (no foreign transaction fees).  We have individual checking and savings (again the ones we came into the marriage with) and a joint checking/savings.  For frivolous purchases, I use my cc and pay from my checking account.  For household purchases, I use the shared cc.  Hubby deals with all the household bills (and his bills) because he has a spreadsheet he uses to track them. 

Message 7 of 9
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Having the same cards seems so redundant, doesn't it? Life is too short for that. DW and I would rather spend the extra time on the beach, lol.

Message 8 of 9
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

My husband and I definitely have separate cards and credit.  Recently, while shopping for a house, I found this forum and added him and my kids as AUs (on a couple of cards) to help their credit scores.

I keep the AU cards in my possession and take them out when we're dinning or shopping together. They charge the meal or whatever on their AU card, but I pay it off.

BTW, I even purchased our house using only my credit and income.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.