Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How important is you spouse credit score

tag
college22c
Valued Member

How important is you spouse credit score

I'm in a relationship with my GF, and her credit scores are in the low 500 she owes multiple companies, and most of her accounts will never be paid off. My scores ( FICO) are near 700. Should I be worried about her past history with credit? 

Chase Freedom (5K) Discover It ( 5K) Discover it Miles ( 1,250K) Chase Sapphire (5K) Chase Amazon (2K) Quicksilver ( 3K) Quicksilver x2(4,300K) Venture Rewards (10k) Amex Green ( Charge) The home Depot (1K) Barclaycard Arrival (3,300K) BOA cash rewards (1,500K) US Bank Perks+ (1K) US Bank Cash ( 3K) Citi Bank Double Cash ( 1,200K)
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: How important is you souse credit score

Yes, you should be concerned.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 11
pakman92
Established Contributor

@college22c wrote:

I'm in a relationship with my GF, and her credit scores are in the low 500 she owes multiple companies, and most of her accounts will never be pai off. My scores ( FICO) are near 700. Should I be worried about her past history with credit? 

It is only important if you are trying to cosign a loan with her or tyring to get a mortgage together.  If you can get a mortgage w/o her income being factored in, it doesn't really matter.  

My Starting Score: EQ: 691 (11/30/11) TU98: 726 (11/30/11)
My Current Score: EQ: 779 (04/22/13) TU08: 835 (06/03/13)
DW Starting Score: EQ: 742 (03/02/12) TU98: 748 (03/02/12)
DW Current Score: EQ: 784 (03/11/13) TU08: 775 (06/03/13)
Message 3 of 11
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with both of the above.  While apping for a mortgage, if it's just on your income and you can qualify, it won't affect you.   But what kind of financial habits does she/he have that has gotten them into trouble?  Will this type of behavior continue?  If so, then yes it will affect you.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 11
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@pakman92 wrote:

@college22c wrote:

I'm in a relationship with my GF, and her credit scores are in the low 500 she owes multiple companies, and most of her accounts will never be pai off. My scores ( FICO) are near 700. Should I be worried about her past history with credit? 

It is only important if you are trying to cosign a loan with her or tyring to get a mortgage together.  If you can get a mortgage w/o her income being factored in, it doesn't really matter.  

I'd have a hard time disagreeing more.

In relationships, me problems always end up becoming we-problems. Even a person who does nothing when SO can't get credit still has to hear about it or deal with someone who probably feels not co-signing shows a lack of commitment/love.

Before anyone gets it twisted.... I'm not saying "Don't date someone with messed-up credit!". I've had messed up credit and worked it back to good with a lot of help from people here, like many others. I'm simply saying "If someone has messed-up credit and ain't working on it, you're eventually going to relationship problems."

Much as we hate to deal with it; The thought process that leads to irresponsible use of credit isn't limited to one area. I think we all grow up quite a bit during credit repair. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 11
Croselx
Contributor

It is important, on par with the 'money talk'. Strangely enough, from what I've seen, this rarely take place (the money talk also comes later down the road, talk about backwards).

I wouldn't marry someone with a lot of debt, unsolved collections, etc., because (like the poster above said) the me problems become we problems and then comes the arguments about finances and resentment.

As of Feb: AAoA 1 year, 10 months
CK TU: 740; Wal-Mart TU FICO: 721
CS EX: 715
8 CCs, 15 total accounts.
Negs on report: 1 30 day late aged 3 years
5 inquiries
Message 6 of 11
CashOnDelivery
Established Contributor

Re: How important is you spouse credit score

@college22c wrote:

I'm in a relationship with my GF, and her credit scores are in the low 500 she owes multiple companies, and most of her accounts will never be paid off. My scores ( FICO) are near 700. Should I be worried about her past history with credit? 

It's definetly worth a talk. I was young and didn't make wise money decisions. My fiance at the time (now wife) had a talk and let me know that I need to be more responsible if we plan to be together long-term. I was upset at first, but I realized she was right. Besides that talk, I also realized that I picked up my mother's bad spending habits at an early age. Although I don't 100% blame my mother, but I feel the "way" to manage money from watching her was not very smart. I wish you luck and I hope you make the best decision for you!

2010: 475 EQ 2011: 503 EQ 2012: 600 EQ2013:632 EQ
Starting Score: 634 EQ-3/13/13
Current Score: 706 EQ-8/29/13 703 EX-7/12/13 705 TU-8/9/13
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 11
aces33
New Contributor

My advice would be talk to her just to see where her mind is financially. This talk could save you literally thousands of dollars in interest alone.  Tell her to clean up her report by herself and do the work it takes to keep it clean and learn how to budget correctly.  Because if you dont do it now and you marry this girl she'll somehow , without even letting you know , get the idea this is your responsbility.

Message 8 of 11
tammyjk
Regular Contributor

You need to talk about your financial relationship early.   If you cant discuss financial matters now, what will happen down the road?  All of these things include your goals and were you want to be in 5 or 10 years.  My husbands credit was terrible and we had a rocky start with those dicussions.  But we did and I have helped him clean up his credit.  He felt it was hopeless and didnt even try for so long until I showed him it was possible.  Some things like defaulted student loans seem impossible but they arent.  We rehabbed his and his credit improved. 

Perhaps you could start out talking about your goals together? 

Message 9 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Old thread, but...

To me, the score per se isn't important. It's what causes the score to be where it is.

A low score might be low due to a one-time disaster, or old misery that is now being worked through and dealt with.

OTOH, a low score might be the result of continuing fecklessness, to use an old-fashioned term: continual late payments with no apparent concern or resolve to change things, new collections, etc.

If it's old stuff that reflects history only and is not recurring, I'd be glad to know and wouldn't worry. (Although I'd keep an eye on things, lol.) But if it's new/ current/ ongoing, there'd be all sorts of bells going off. Is this someone who can't or won't deal with the dull but important everyday chores of life? If so, will they be equally unreliable about sharing the electric bill, doing the dishes, walking the dog, and changing a diaper? It's one thing to raise children who are actually children. It's another to live with an adult who acts like a child.

Actually, this is the real purpose of credit scores for lenders, too: flagging people who have had some sort of difficulty managing their debts and/or money and who are therefore riskier to lend to than others might be. Supposedly the lenders would take a more careful look at those with low scores before offering credit, although the reality these days is that they'll just deny and move on.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.