cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many men here have fiance's/wives with better credit than you?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How many men here have fiance's/wives with better credit than you?

My gf has better credit than I do by about 30-40 points. I'm not upset or jealous because once we got serious I asked if she didn't mind me helping. She had one credit card she never used and the only other two things on her credit were two vehicles one for her the other she consigned for her sister. First thing we did was kick her sisters loan to the curb and have her apply for a refinance in her own name. She paid late sometimes and it ended up affecting her score. The other thing we did was apply for two credit cards and I told her how to use them responsibly and how to manage the debt etc. 

im currently working on mine as well but I started with baddies she mostly started with a think file so her score skyrocketed while mine has slowly improved. It doesn't bother me because I feel like I've helped in it. My only hope is to eventually get to her same level so that credit will never be a determining factor if we can do something or not. 

Message 21 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually only recently have credit and that's because of my student loans. I didn't need student loans when I first starting going to college but now for these last few semesters I do. Of course, I didn't have any credit because 1) no one gives people credit that don't have credit and 2) I didn't need no stinkin' credit; so my mom cosigned the student loan and we both have been making payments on it. A few months later, I am thinking of switching cellphone providers and wanting to get the latest iPhone. I see that in order to make payments and get the $50 everything plan it would be best to just make payments on the phone...but in order to do that: you need credit. So, my fiance tells me to check my credit score and lo and behold I actually had a decent score. He even remarked it was higher than his, and this is the guy who has been building his credit for a couple years. He was really proud and happy for me, actually.

Not having credit was a bit of a sore spot for me, especially when retail workers would ask if you wanted to apply for a store credit card. I usually would just laugh at them because I had been there, done that, been denied. Or the always fun "don't call us, we'll call you" response (when they mail you a rejection letter). So it was kind of nice to actually have a mediocre score instead of none.

It's kind of dumb to think one sex should have a better score than the other, don't you think?

TL;DR: I do have better credit than my soon-to-be husband. (if you couldn't guess, I am female)

Message 22 of 42
MTSN
Regular Contributor

My girlfriend has well over 800s on all 3 of her scores, and I'm in the mid 700s now. I'm actually quite proud of her and not jealous at all. I also understand that there is a big difference between our credit files - she has 1 student loan, 1 store credit card, 1 bank credit card. I currently have a mortgage, 1 store credit card, 6 major credit cards, a car loan, etc. and in the past I've had and paid off 10 auto loans, 3 student loans, LOCs, 3 motorcycle loans, and several credit cards. I think my credit report shows 40+ accounts of differing type and age and hers shows 5. So even though her credit score is phenomenal, it's based on far less information. We are both in our mid 30s, so it's not like either of us are new to credit. She's just less risk averse, and I'm not Smiley Happy Either way, I think having a spouse or partner with better credit is absolutely great and should be inspirational, and it will only help you when it comes time to buy a house together!

Message 23 of 42
ZsRebuilding1
Established Member

Just to make sure the mold is good and broken:

I'm the breadwinner in my household ( Female here) and my wife has WAY better credit than I do. Arguably, she has a bit of a thin file, but her scores are still way better than mine.  While I do place a certain amount of credit scores = provider for the family, her scores don't make me feel inadequate. Just that I need to work harder so I can provide better things for her and our daughter. She is also older than me and the homemaker. She's had more time to learn from her mistakes, while I have had to wise up if I ever wanted to move out of a rental and into our own house.

There. Just in case we were confused about fico's demographic. Smiley Happy

Starting Scores: TU: 499 EX: 521 EQ: 519
Current Scores: TU: 616 EX: 576 EQ: 585
Starting Goal: 680 across the board
Message 24 of 42
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MTSN wrote:

My girlfriend has well over 800s on all 3 of her scores, and I'm in the mid 700s now. I'm actually quite proud of her and not jealous at all. I also understand that there is a big difference between our credit files - she has 1 student loan, 1 store credit card, 1 bank credit card. I currently have a mortgage, 1 store credit card, 6 major credit cards, a car loan, etc. and in the past I've had and paid off 10 auto loans, 3 student loans, LOCs, 3 motorcycle loans, and several credit cards. I think my credit report shows 40+ accounts of differing type and age and hers shows 5. So even though her credit score is phenomenal, it's based on far less information. We are both in our mid 30s, so it's not like either of us are new to credit. She's just less risk averse, and I'm not Smiley Happy Either way, I think having a spouse or partner with better credit is absolutely great and should be inspirational, and it will only help you when it comes time to buy a house together!

You are an example of how and why it works ... congrat!

Message 25 of 42
Vegas247
Established Contributor

@ShinBeats wrote:

I was young and dumb, made mistakes...blah blah, you know the story. Grew up, fixed what I could, and I'm now on my way to good credit.

Both of my parents are definitely up there, but my dad's score is better than my mom's. I just always felt it was out of place for the woman to have a better score than the man as the men are supposed to be the providers and breadwinners of the household.

So..how many of you guys out there have gfs/fiance's/wives with better scores? Does she make you feel inadequate?

I agree men are supposed to be the providers and bread winners of the family only if you agree to be skinny, no wrinkles, don't argue back and serve me with a smile.

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 26 of 42
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

My credit is significantly better than my husband. He doesn't feel inadequate. Credit scores do not equate to being the breadwinner. I know plenty of people with lower scores that make tons more than I do. Scoring is a reflection of financial behavior with debt. Someone could simply have no debts to report and have a lower score with tons of cash in the bank and huge income.

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 27 of 42
jbsea
Established Contributor

my dw has a better score then me but my goal is to catch her by the end of the year if not out right pass her.  she has a thin file with no credit cards ( she is a au on all of mine now ) but I think that I can still catch her if I can get the last couple of baddies off of my cr.

Amex Gold / Amex Platinum / Amex Marriott Brilliant/ Amex BCP/ Capital One Venture (AU) / Capital One Savor One/ Discover / NFCU Cash Rewards / BOA Unlimited Cash Rewards / NFCU GO Rewards (AU) / Amex EDP / NFCU Flagship Rewards / Chase Freedom (AU) / Capital One QuickSilver / Citi Costco (AU) / Amex Delta
Message 28 of 42
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

@tonyaether wrote:

My credit is significantly better than my husband. He doesn't feel inadequate. Credit scores do not equate to being the breadwinner. I know plenty of people with lower scores that make tons more than I do. Scoring is a reflection of financial behavior with debt. Someone could simply have no debts to report and have a lower score with tons of cash in the bank and huge income.

This just absolutely rubbed me the wrong way.  I mean, are we living in the 50's here?!  Having a good credit score and/or being the breadwinner is not solely male territory.  It's not like "here's a Y chromosome and with it comes the responsibility to be the breadwinner in your household."  No man (or person, for that matter!) should feel inadequate because their credit AND/OR their income is below their spouse or SO.  As long as they contribute in whatever way is appropriate for the relationship (which can be determined only by people involved IN the relationship), it's all good.  In this day and age, I can't believe this even needs to be said, but apparently it does.

For the record, my credit has gone from slightly below my SO to a bit above (differed by as much as 40 points depending on which CRA you considered), and my income has done the same over the years.  Neither scenario altered our relationship in the slightest.  And my slightly larger income doesn't make me the "breadwinner", it just means I happen to make slightly more.  No big deal.  The decision-making process for major expenditures hasn't been altered by that change through the years.

Message 29 of 42
Tonya-E
Established Contributor

@disdreamin wrote:

@tonyaether wrote:

This just absolutely rubbed me the wrong way.  I mean, are we living in the 50's here?!  Having a good credit score and/or being the breadwinner is not solely male territory.  It's not like "here's a Y chromosome and with it comes the responsibility to be the breadwinner in your household."  No man (or person, for that matter!) should feel inadequate because their credit AND/OR their income is below their spouse or SO.  As long as they contribute in whatever way is appropriate for the relationship (which can be determined only by people involved IN the relationship), it's all good.  In this day and age, I can't believe this even needs to be said, but apparently it does.

For the record, my credit has gone from slightly below my SO to a bit above (differed by as much as 40 points depending on which CRA you considered), and my income has done the same over the years.  Neither scenario altered our relationship in the slightest.  And my slightly larger income doesn't make me the "breadwinner", it just means I happen to make slightly more.  No big deal.  The decision-making process for major expenditures hasn't been altered by that change through the years.

Understood disdreamin. I think the OP states that he believes men should be the breadwinner in a relationship. It bothered me a tad but not really because I know there are some men out there that still believe in that mentality. Being a breadwinner, whether I agree or not, is still a belief system to some (even some women). So I figured to each his own. I just wanted OP to know that a credit score and being a "breadwinner" are two completely different animals. I know stay at home spouses that have higher scores than the working spouse...

Wallet: Amex BCP-45k| Barclays Rewards MC-26.3k| Citi Thank You Preferred-27.5k| Citi Double Cash-14k| Target MC-11.5k| Walmart MC-7.5k| Chase Freedom Unlimited Signature-6k

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 30 of 42
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.