cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much influence do you think parents should have on your financial life and until what age?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How much influence do you think parents should have on your financial life and until what age?

While i do think the parents should have direct control over a minor child living under their roof. I also believe that they should be in teaching mode during the last two years of residency. Far too many kids are unrepared for what the real world has to offer when it comes time for them to venture off. Whether it be finances or their ability to feed/cloth themsleves all on their own, w/o needing to go home every week to eat and get laundry done etc. I've seen this so many times. A parent that does everything for a child all their life shouldn't be all that surprised when they need to come back home.

Message 11 of 25
iced
Valued Contributor

Re: How much influence do you think parents should have on your financial life and until what age?

@Anonymous wrote:

While i do think the parents should have direct control over a minor child living under their roof. I also believe that they should be in teaching mode during the last two years of residency. Far too many kids are unrepared for what the real world has to offer when it comes time for them to venture off. Whether it be finances or their ability to feed/cloth themsleves all on their own, w/o needing to go home every week to eat and get laundry done etc. I've seen this so many times. A parent that does everything for a child all their life shouldn't be all that surprised when they need to come back home.

I think a lot of parents do teach their kids about finance or other common-sense items (feed/clothe), and this isn't the problem per se. The problem is that most parents themselves suck at finance or those common-sense items, so they end up teaching their kids to also suck at finance or common-sense.

Dunning-Kruger (I've referenced that way too much here lately) rears its head again. I've personally seen parents who are clueless nitwits speaking with confident authority to their children, imparting patently bad advice. After all, if the parents have no savings, live paycheck-to-paycheck, and spend irresponsibly, do we really expect them to teach their children how to have savings and not live paycheck-to-paycheck?

Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Will post that some of the same questions and comments existed back in the 1950s and 1960s. It seems like many matters we hear lots of talk but no action. People have asked that one of our high school classes would include personal finance and even how to run a checking account. But alas, here we are 2019 and the same things repeat!

Interesting points brought up! Smiley Sad

Message 13 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Since both my children are in their 30's and 40's, my policy on involvement in their financial affairs is simple - I ask nothing and I say nothing, until I am asked. This has been my policy since they turned 18.

Message 14 of 25
Trudy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

While I appreciate my financial independence, I see that some people prefer their parents having almost absolute control over their financial lives, and some parents preferring it that way as well. What are your thoughts about that? When do you think that people should start taking care of their own finances and banking accounts?

A simple answer without all the grey areas is, when you move out.  As soon as you feel you can say "I'm grown and you can't control what I do".  Then go be grown in my opinion and take care of yourself financially.  Parents tend not to want to see their children suffer or fail and will often come to the rescue no matter what age.  Those one off "helps" may be a little different but without a contract and ability or willingness to pursue action if defaulted it should afford the lender to control something.  But that's not the way it is.

As many stated, parents should lay the foundation so their children are prepared to be financially responsible by age 18. When still financially supporting a child/adult child then they should have some control or be involved depending on the situation.

But also stated here is the bigger problem of parents not having a sound financial ground or knowledge to impart. I think this forum is evident that many did not learn these things in our late teens or early 20's and even later. And its ashame there has been little to no improvement for decades in addressing this credit health in the education system. After all, most of us planned to grow up and by a car and home at some point.

I recall in my early 20's, own apartment (roommate) I asked my father to co-sign on a car loan. What he told me that day still kind of stings "You have shown that you are not responsible, you're a deficit". He didn't say it with malice and both parents were/are kind and supportive my entire life. He was just really disappointed. The sad thing is it was true. Although I was currently paying my bills, I had proven I didn't manage my money well. Now if I wasn't "creative (not illegal)" they would have definitely let me use their cars if they weren't using them, even live with them. But although it still took some time (too long) to learn, the tough love move motivated me to be independent. Not always financially sound but I survived it and learned valuable lessons. My parents didn't have much but we never went without. Hell, I was in my late 20's before I realized we were likely lower middle class and not upper middle class. That's how well they provided financially, emotionally and even socially.  But the let me go be "grown" when I claimed to be.

The truth is they didn't know anything other than "pay your bills on time". And had I followed that I would not have needed so many lessons. But for those of us much older than 20 something, you understand 20 something doesn't always possess enough life experience to make the best decisions while are brains are still developing. No offense to 20 somethings. Many of you are doing much better than I and definitely have more tools, although still not enough provided in school. To this day my parents don't know how this credit thing works other than paying bills on time but to my knowledge they've never been in a bad credit situation.  But they always had the biggest part of the FICO pie taken care of.

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm 26, I learned ZERO money management skills from my mother. She is HORRIBLE with her credit til this day at age 56. She Carrie's balances on ALL her cards and then blames the CC companies for "bringing colored people down" smh 🤦🏾‍♀️ yeah idk where to begin with that one. I usually just ignore her. She thinks she has to cut up her cards and blames them on her shopping addiction thinking they're targeting her. She has HORRIBLE credit but her oldest card is from the 80s and it's still open and she has it cut up and never uses it but maxes out all her rest. She also doesnt pay her Bill's even though she gets VA disability and had a good 70k a year job that she quit. She lives in Hawaii and doesn't even have her own apartment cause she got evicted.

I however, have been obsessed with saving money and having good credit for as long as I can remember. I got my first card at age 19 (Victoria secret) and it's still open. My credit is "fair" but also pretty bad. Mainly because I let an ex bf take advantage of me and I got a motorcycle loan for him in my name and he never made the payments he was also on my cell plan and never made his half of the bill while I was in boot camp. When I got out I switched carriers and he never gave me back my phone. So my credit score dropped from the 700s to the 300s. 2 years later it's in the 600s but with 15k (NFCU loan) defaulted and 1.8k (verizon) people dont want to trust me with credit.

I wish I could slap 23 year old me in the face and never put crap in my name for anyone again. Once my credit gets right and my kids are older I plan to make them an AU on one of my cards (VS perhaps) so they can get their foot in the door with good credit. Something my family never would or could do for me.
Message 16 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I usually just ignore her. She thinks she has to cut up her cards and blames them on her shopping addiction thinking they're targeting her.

Well, according to the older guys where I work, it is the credit card companies trying to trick you. "They raised my credit card limit from 5k to 15k! I caught them, though! I called them and told them you put that right back to where it was! That's how they get you! No thank you!" *six other older guys in the room agree*

(Legit quote)

I think one of them may have had a heart attack if I pulled out one of my Amex cards...lol

Message 17 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I mean, credit card companies never put a knife in front of you to buy those expensive clothes, or cars, or (insert any expensive asset that depreciates quickly) That is one reason why sometimes it costs me to understand people that think credit cards and banks are evil. The live from making money out of your money, ok, but if you fil bankrupcy they are loosing a lot of money.

Message 18 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe the standard rule until a child is not considered a minor, so in this case - 18 years of age.

You should always teach your children about finances and credit at an early age. School doesn't teach you any of this and that's why it's so important.

Message 19 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't give an accurate answer because I don't have children of my own.

My parents are both immigrants to the US and I was left on my own financially speaking. I am also naturalized like them and got my green card at 5 y/o. I began working around the age of 13 (under the table) and naturally blew all of my money until I was around 17. After then, I realized the importance of budgeting, saving, and investing but I was not taught these things by my parents. My parents do not have any sort of credit either. They had a hands off approach to parenting which got me into a lot of trouble and enrolled me in the "school of hard knocks" after a few bad hospital visits. I had to realize that I need to get it together.
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.