cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much influence do you think parents should have on your financial life and until what age?

tag
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: How much influence do you think parents should have on your financial life and until what age?

While I'm still in my mid-20s and have no kids of my own, I can speak for the way I was raised. My two parents are very different in handling their credit. My dad is irresponsible with money (on top of not making enough) and has filed BK twice, while my mom is great at budgeting and paying bills on time. She even manages to save despite not making much either. Neither one really talked to me about credit, mostly cause neither knows much about it other than to pay your bills on time. I basically learned all this credit stuff myself through trial and error and of course with the wealth of knowledge here. I'm still learning every day, and it's thanks to this forum that I've been able to rebuild and improve my score. I took the good I saw at home and ignored the bad as far as how my parents collectively managed their finances.

As far as my opinion on parents managing their kids' money, I'm with the majority. Support them and guide them while they're still under your roof, but stop at 18 unless there is some medical/disability reason to continue past 18. I like the idea of parents who lay the groundwork and sit down and have a finances talk with their children, and once their kids move out they stay out of their finances unless they ask for advice (but still that doesn't mean take over the kids' bank accounts/budgeting). When I have kids, that's the approach I want to take.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How much influence do you think parents should have on your financial life and until what age?

Parents should work on their children`s independence!

No matter how old are they. Child should realize that they have pay for their demands on their own and parents are not eternal

Message 22 of 25
wantitgone
Contributor

I had terrible examples. My SD lost the house he inherited after his parents died because he trusted my mom to pay the mortage only she didn't, she blew the money. She was (and still is) terrible w/ money; he still helps her out even though they're divorced. Either way, I knew nothing about money but tried my best on a measly income to build up my credit. I did, until I got into a car accident; that was credit ruin #1. Took me 3+ years after that to even get Fingerhut to give me a small account but I did! And everything was going great... until life hit hard and I had to file BK. I learned nothing about money from my parents except what NOT to do... and I did all right until, well... I didn't.

My son is almost 11. I've just got him Current, which is a debit card with his name on it controlled by me. I can set up an allowance, but also grant money any time by his request or for him doing extra chores, etc. He knows about money, that things he wants or needs aren't free (for me), and I want him well prepared for adulthood, unlike me. I plan on adding him to one of my CCs when he's a bit older to give him a jumpstart but I don't really plan to be included in on his financial situation once he's got a job, unless he asks for my input or help. All I can hope is that everything I teach him will be used well and that he'll never find him in a similar position to me, ever.

FICO 8 on 5/31/19 ~~ EQ: 608, TU: 545, EX: 585
BK 7 DC 7/9/19
FICO 8 on 01/31/2023 ~~ EQ: 693, TU: 677, EX: 678

NFCU CLOC $1,000

Apple Card 4,500
Williams Sonoma $1,250
NFCU CashRewards $2,500
NFCU Flagship $12,100
Navy Federal Platinum $25,000
PenFed Pathfinder $12,500
Kemba CU Platinum $3,500
Amazon Store Card (Synchrony) $1500
Paypal Credit $850
Capital One QS $2,000
Capital One Spark $2,000
Overstock Store Card $2,150

AAoA: EQ - 7y9mo, TU - 7y8mo, EX - 5yr7mo (as of 01/31/2023); INQ are 2 EQ, 6 TU, and 5 EX.

New Auto Loan with NFCU (May 2022): 32k for 3.49%/60 months

My DPs: as of January 2023, I am full-time employed, 55k/year, 2 federal consolidated loans plus 3 new student loans, had perfect payment history with 0 derogs until 90 day lates prior to filing BK in March 2019.
Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think once a person turns 18 years old which is legally considered being an adult, should a child no longer be financially dependent on their parents/guardians. I just turned 30 and have not been financially dependent with my parents since then. Still had to follow their rules under their roof until I moved out at 21.

Message 24 of 25
wa3more
Established Contributor

This is a tough one.  My only comment is that parents should help educate their kids financially to be independent and save for long term. Teach them basics. Because our higher education system lacks any type of preparation in this regard for the real world. 

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.