Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I had to have "the talk" with my 17 year old son

tag
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: I had to have "the talk" with my 17 year old son

Suze Orman annoys the heck out of me in a lot of ways, but it's hard to beat her Young, Fabulous and Broke.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 11 of 15
lithium78
Established Contributor

I wish my parents had been able to educate me about personal finance, but they have always been a mess themselves.  Really, there should have been classes in this in high school.  I wasted so much time with trigonometry that could have been spent learning how to handle the real world instead.  smh

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 15
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@lithium78 wrote:

I wish my parents had been able to educate me about personal finance, but they have always been a mess themselves.  Really, there should have been classes in this in high school.  I wasted so much time with trigonometry that could have been spent learning how to handle the real world instead.  smh

Me too!

My mom is one of those "Don't worry about the bills, God's gonna take care of everything" people. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 13 of 15
FrugalRican
Blogger

Sad part is I probably would have skipped that class.

My father used to be one of those "Spend it today, we might not get a tomorrow" kind of person.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 14 of 15
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I talk financial planning on a daily basis with my 11 yr old...  Shes started asking questions now, like "how do checks work, will I need them one day?"  "How does a credit card work?" What's interest? 

I love it lol.  

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.