Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I hate to tell my husband no but...

tag
casmith1980
Established Contributor

I hate to tell my husband no but...

My husband and I are currently in the process of saving for our home purchase (hopefully mid to late 2013) and on a whim he decided to wanted to test drive the new Challenger.  Of course - he LOVED it...without trying to sound like a "mom", I had to keep reminding him that in 3 years he can buy that darn car - but right now our priority is owning our home. 

I know a lot of people won't agree with my mentality, but I look at car payments as a necessity (I know, I know!).  I like to drive a nice car...and so does my husband but I'm trying to limit us to ONE car payment, not TWO.  Hopefully his short term memory loss kicks in and he'll forget about the Challenger Smiley Wink

If only we could live in a bubble for a year and ignore temptations!

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15
Anticipated discharge 3/10/15

Goal: 700 by 3/2017
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: I hate to tell my husband no but...

I fully understand your husband's desire. My own wish is the Dodge Charger.  Smiley Happy But I have solidly committed myself to paying down all of my other debts to 0$ before I assume a car payment. I just bought my first home a little over a year ago and ran up some bills with remakes and remodels to make it mine. Trust me, if you can just show him the numbers of how you can get to your new home if you avoid the car payment then he will probably be along for the ride. Myself, I have put all of my debts on a spreadsheet and track the balances once a month so I can see the progress. So far this year I have paid off 3500 and hope to have that number to 8000 by the end of the year. Total debt payoff is about 30 months and I have promised myself, then it's new car time. But who knows, by then the fever may have cooled and I'll find a different priority.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 18
casmith1980
Established Contributor

I've shown him my extensive excel spreadsheet that I track his debts and our progress...he knows how important it is, I just have to keep reminding him.

by this time next year, I will have ALL of his debts paid off (including his truck).  The only debt I'll have going into the homebuying process is my car payment Smiley Happy  Really looking forward it!

Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15

Message 3 of 18
marty56
Super Contributor

@casmith1980 wrote:

I know a lot of people won't agree with my mentality, but I look at car payments as a necessity (I know, I know!).  I like to drive a nice car...and so does my husband but I'm trying to limit us to ONE car payment, not TWO.  Hopefully his short term memory loss kicks in and he'll forget about the Challenger Smiley Wink

I'm a guy, I like my toys but I agree 100% with you.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 18
IOBA
Senior Contributor

casmith1980 - oh girl, you gotta try buying a car - a nice car - with cash.   Go the no car payment route...  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stay focused!

On the bright side, at least he has nice taste in cars.

Message 6 of 18
FrugalRican
Blogger

It's a "guy" thing. I do this all the time, even though my name suggests differently.

It's hardwired into me to ooh and aah over the latest gadget, car, TV, etc...

But after a day or two of thinking about it, the feeling usually subsides.

If it's summer, I just go outside and grill something and it seems to sooth the manly tension of wanting to purchase something new and shiny.

Specially if a home is involved in the not-so-distant future.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 7 of 18
casmith1980
Established Contributor

cash for car would be ideal! I don't know what I'd do without a payment lol if we had our house, I'd probably let him buy it but we need to stay focused right now. after he test drove, I made him go look at model homes to get his priorities back in line lol (it was beautiful though...SRT8 bumble bee edition) no clue if that's the right edition but it looked like a bee lol
Filed BK 12/5/14
341 meeting 1/9/15

Message 8 of 18
IOBA
Senior Contributor

casmith1980 - you can do it!   And I think your redirect of DH was great!  Smiley Happy    And once you buy a car, paying cash, I don't know if you can ever go back to car payments again!

I started off with my first car kinda cash.   One of those here's a check and here's another one but hold it for a month things.  After that, car payments...next four cars...then I did here's a check, two credit cards, and a check to hold for a month.  The last two vehicles - cash.   It will always be cash from now on, even if part of it goes on a cc.   The cc will be paid off within the cycle though.  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 18
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@FrugalRican wrote:

It's a "guy" thing. I do this all the time, even though my name suggests differently.

It's hardwired into me to ooh and aah over the latest gadget, car, TV, etc...

But after a day or two of thinking about it, the feeling usually subsides.

If it's summer, I just go outside and grill something and it seems to sooth the manly tension of wanting to purchase something new and shiny.

Specially if a home is involved in the not-so-distant future.

Grilling as an antidote for app fever!!! I love it. Smiley Very Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.