Did you mean: 

I hate to tell my husband no but...

tag
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I hate to tell my husband no but...

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@FrugalRican wrote:

It's a "guy" thing. I do this all the time, even though my name suggests differently.

It's hardwired into me to ooh and aah over the latest gadget, car, TV, etc...

But after a day or two of thinking about it, the feeling usually subsides.

If it's summer, I just go outside and grill something and it seems to sooth the manly tension of wanting to purchase something new and shiny.

Specially if a home is involved in the not-so-distant future.

Grilling as an antidote for app fever!!! I love it. Smiley Very Happy

I think I just figured out the next amenity to add to the Garden Club clubhouse over at the Credit Cards board!!! Smiley Wink LOL!!!

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 11 of 18
FrugalRican
Blogger

Was joking with my mother about this over the phone, and she told me she went through a similar situation with her boyfriend.

He's trying to build his own house to rent out or for them to move in but he saw a car he wanted.

What did she do?

They took a small weekend getaway and she rented that specific car so they could drive to and from their destination.

After 2 or 3 days of driving it, the itch was gone. She figured she might have spent a few bucks doing that, but it saved them a bunch of money overall from him buying on impulse. Few days later, he had gotten over buying the car.

I told her that had the potential to backfire ridiculously. She just answered that it only backfires if you do a test drive, give them 2 or 3 days, and the feeling of excitement goes away once you realize it's another vehicle. It made sense.

My DGF would have just sent me to grill something.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 12 of 18
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@FrugalRican wrote:

Was joking with my mother about this over the phone, and she told me she went through a similar situation with her boyfriend.

He's trying to build his own house to rent out or for them to move in but he saw a car he wanted.

What did she do?

They took a small weekend getaway and she rented that specific car so they could drive to and from their destination.

After 2 or 3 days of driving it, the itch was gone. She figured she might have spent a few bucks doing that, but it saved them a bunch of money overall from him buying on impulse. Few days later, he had gotten over buying the car.

I told her that had the potential to backfire ridiculously. She just answered that it only backfires if you do a test drive, give them 2 or 3 days, and the feeling of excitement goes away once you realize it's another vehicle. It made sense.

That makes perfect sense...  I love the ideas i get on this forum...  For me, I'm the one that loves shiney new cars. I love cars. They are great. A nice car is a wonderful thing to have...  I've been trying to get Joey to take me to go see the new Volvos'  He won't budge... we aren't buying til 2016...  but I just want to go pet a shiney new car Smiley Wink

On the flip side, my current 2008 volvo is paid for, his 2008 dodge nitro is paid for.  We just have an explorer sport trac left with 19k financed for 35 more months at 4% courtesy of NFCU.

The next car, I hope is with cash... or at least one of those 0.9% financing for 36 months deals.   I could live with that quite well Smiley Happy

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 13 of 18
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@webhopper wrote:

@FrugalRican wrote:

What did she do?

That makes perfect sense...  I love the ideas i get on this forum...  For me, I'm the one that loves shiney new cars. I love cars. They are great. A nice car is a wonderful thing to have...  I've been trying to get Joey to take me to go see the new Volvos'  He won't budge... we aren't buying til 2016...  but I just want to go pet a shiney new car Smiley Wink

On the flip side, my current 2008 volvo is paid for, his 2008 dodge nitro is paid for.  We just have an explorer sport trac left with 19k financed for 35 more months at 4% courtesy of NFCU.

The next car, I hope is with cash... or at least one of those 0.9% financing for 36 months deals.   I could live with that quite well Smiley Happy

I went and looked at the shiny new Volvo C70s and S60s... Did not test drive as I had my daughter and her friend with me. Omg they are gorgeous cars.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tell him that he can buy his car some other time but now your priority is to buy a house.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Irfan     

I love cars too specially porches, carrera gt, BMW, Mercedis just name it...

It s just that a guy with a shiny car is like a firefly at night.......

House ofcourse is needed but a hot modified ferrari is something that cannot be described.......it just takes the breath away..

My personal favorite is mazda rx8 upgraded version but alas i dont have the money to buy it........

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ir7777,

Well actually there are times when running a family gets pretty togh and also our desires pulls us into more trouble. The idea is keeping firm to your goal and also pulling your partner out of his fantasy world to the reality..This might seem rough but to keep a balanced life free of debts this is mandatory. Goodluck

Message 17 of 18
cmthomas06
Regular Contributor

I totally agree with your mentality! If a new car isnt a necessity, then wait until you have your house! Dont feel like you are being too pushy or limiting (mother-like)... afterall, this is YOUR life too! Your future house if for both of you to enjoy and grow in; however, if the new car is purchased then this dream may take much longer to achieve. You will be the one taking the hit. 

Stand your ground and explain that once the house is purchased and you guys are settlled in, then he can get his dream car. 

Ex 752 (Amex) Tu 758 (Walmart) Eq 703
Goal: 750+ on all
Current Cards: Cap1 Cash Back; Chase Freedom; Chase Amazon; Citi Thank You; Citi Forward; Discover iT; Amex Zync; GE WalMart; BoA 3-2-1
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.