Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have this friend....

tag
800who
Regular Contributor

I have this friend....

My good friend from work.. he's a smart guy... in some aspects. I've been working with this guy closely for over a year now and we frequent do stuff outside of work as well as other co-workers. He got into a relationship last july/august (9-10 months ago) and he's a full time 21 year old worker and shes a 21 year old college senior graudating with $100k in debt  going into a retail job with no relevance to her degree what so ever(waste of a degree???). My friend is very clingy when it comes to his gf, he pays for EVERYTHING when it comes to the two of them. He has his own trailer and he's talking about moving her in and he's going to help her with her student loans. My girlfriend and I split everything just about evenly even though shes a junior in college and i'm a full time worker. I tell him that he shouldn't be taking on all her financial responsibilies because that's a heavy strain on him now absorbing the financial burden of two people. When I ask him about it, he constantly assures that's him being a "good boyfriend" and that's what boyfriends are supposed to do. I am predicting a not so happy ending result of that relationship. My friend is a very "proud" person, as well as a know it all/my way is the best way kind of person. I do acknowledge the fact that it's his life not mine and it doesn't affect me, and I do respect that, I guess I am concerned as I friend. Considering I am 20 years old and have never been in a relatinship to the point where finances are a shared part of the relationship, I am looking for everyone's opinion on what they think of my friend's mindset and his financial decisions towards his relationship.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I have this friend....

In my opinion - you’ve done your obligation as a friend by saying “hey, you might want to think about this.....”. It’s awesome you’re looking out for him. Now, it’s his business and not yours.

In the end, he’s going to make his decisions. And that’s the way it should be. We all make decisions that others might not understand.

Maybe he’s doing the right thing if they feel there is a serious future to their relationship. Maybe he’s doing the wrong thing if his motivation is misaligned. In the end, it’s his money. If you dwell on it, all it will do is drive a wedge between your friendship.

And that’s my 2 cents.
Message 2 of 24
hernaemm90
New Contributor

Ditto to the comment above. You've told your friend what you think. There is no need to keep repeating it to him
Message 3 of 24
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

Education is expensive, so are life lessons.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 4 of 24
800who
Regular Contributor

Thanks, I'm typically one for getting too involved in other people's business. I totally agree with you, gotta let people live their own lives how they wish to.

Message 5 of 24
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

I think you’ve done what you can. Now he just has to live and learn. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 6 of 24
Five6Two
Frequent Contributor

I was your friend several years ago. No matter what any one told me; best friends, coworkers, family - I did not listen. Always did my best to put my gf through private college and pay for everything while getting myself in debt. Relationship ended and while she offered to pay for some of the debt accumulated (au), she argued the other several thousands were my choice. My sister (an attorney) told me she was right and to do my best to get myself out of my own hole. I’m happily married to my DW now and she was very supportive but also brutally honest with me and helped me improve my money management.

Point is, your friend will have to learn the way they choose - which, if it involves emotions, will be the hard way.
Siggy under construction Smiley Happy
Message 7 of 24
800who
Regular Contributor

My current girlfriend seems to have a solid understanding of finances and the importance of them, she makes wise decisions, but I think if she started racking debt like crazy or tried to have me buy everything, it would definitely be a deal breaker. If I ever get a DW, she has to be on the same page as me financially.

Message 8 of 24
tcbofade
Super Contributor

@800who wrote:

My current girlfriend seems to have a solid understanding of finances and the importance of them, she makes wise decisions, but I think if she started racking debt like crazy or tried to have me buy everything, it would definitely be a deal breaker. If I ever get a DW, she has to be on the same page as me financially.

Every couple does it their own way.  Make certain that you have this conversation with whomever that lucky DW might be, and as long as the two of you communicate with eachother, you'll be fine.  Smiley Happy

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don’t listen to the others about this is all you can do! Insist he’s being an idiot. There’s nothing chivalristic about taking on someone else’s debt UNLESS he’s already married! I’ve been on that other side and wished someone would have made their relationship uncomfortable with me by getting through my thick head! At the end of the day we must all be accountable for our own finances/choices. Taking on the responsibility for someone else almost always doesn’t help the other person or the one offering the helping hand... regardless of motive!
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.