Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping a first home separate....

tag
martinsoka17
Contributor

Re: Keeping a first home separate....

@sunshine24 wrote:

Affordability is an issue for me, as we live in a very expensive real estate area. If something happened to him, I will probably be struggling with the home we purchase together and I don't want to have to worry about his other property and tenants. We have agreed to each pay half of the home we buy together. He (or his tenants) will pay 100% of whatever he owns separately and I am not involved or on the deed. This is how he wants to handle it. He does feel the the marital home should be the only jointly owned property, which I am ok with. We live in a community property state so I don't really know if it's all pointless anyway. Even if my name is not on the deed of his first property, since we're in a community property state, am I on the hook anyway?

In the state I live in, if something was brough to court or the legality was in question, the court essentially goes back prior to the marriage and establishes a date of which everything accrued after that specific date is what's call "Marriage Property" (this is in real estate law, btw). If you lived in my state, and he purchased and closed on the home before you two were married, AND he has NEVER paid any part of the mortgage with funds from a joint account (very difficult to prove), and upon his passing, if there is nothing written in his will regarding the property, it goes into estate. They would contact his next of kin (you) regarding how to pass along the property. From there you would not necessarily be financially responsible for it, however it would be up to you to decide what to do with said property. My best advice is to contact a REAL ESTATE attorney or an attorney who is familiar with real estate law in your area. Real estate law is a whoooole different ball game from everything else. 

Starting Score: 523

Current Scores: EQ: 705 TU: 757 EX: 764

Goal Scores: 800 across the board

in the garden until 2019!
Message 11 of 12
Startome
Regular Contributor

Re: Keeping a first home separate....

@martinsoka17 wrote:

@sunshine24 wrote:

Affordability is an issue for me, as we live in a very expensive real estate area. If something happened to him, I will probably be struggling with the home we purchase together and I don't want to have to worry about his other property and tenants. We have agreed to each pay half of the home we buy together. He (or his tenants) will pay 100% of whatever he owns separately and I am not involved or on the deed. This is how he wants to handle it. He does feel the the marital home should be the only jointly owned property, which I am ok with. We live in a community property state so I don't really know if it's all pointless anyway. Even if my name is not on the deed of his first property, since we're in a community property state, am I on the hook anyway?

In the state I live in, if something was brough to court or the legality was in question, the court essentially goes back prior to the marriage and establishes a date of which everything accrued after that specific date is what's call "Marriage Property" (this is in real estate law, btw). If you lived in my state, and he purchased and closed on the home before you two were married, AND he has NEVER paid any part of the mortgage with funds from a joint account (very difficult to prove), and upon his passing, if there is nothing written in his will regarding the property, it goes into estate. They would contact his next of kin (you) regarding how to pass along the property. From there you would not necessarily be financially responsible for it, however it would be up to you to decide what to do with said property. My best advice is to contact a REAL ESTATE attorney or an attorney who is familiar with real estate law in your area. Real estate law is a whoooole different ball game from everything else. 

+1

Current: EQ FICO 0, TU FICO 0, EX FICO 0 | Starting Score: 0 (08/21/2013)

Starting total revolving credit: $0 | Current total revolving credit: $1600.00

Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 3-4 TU Unsure EX Unsure | Most Recent: 8/19/2013

2013 Goals:
1,000.00 Emergency Fund
1,000.00 Emergency Fund, AGAIN
Mechanically Sound Car
Unsecured Card

Fifth Third $300
U.S. Bank Harley Davidson $300
Capital One Platinum $500
2nd Capital One Platinum $500

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.