Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marriage

tag
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Marriage

So I will be getting married in the next 30 days or within. I'm question is what do I need to do regarding CCs and my SSN? Because my last name will be changing.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
MoreRewards
Established Contributor

Re: Marriage

Go to the SS office to get card with new last name. You need to inform CC so they can issue cards with matching last name. 

EQ 773 * EX 786 * TU 797
Message 2 of 13
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Alright. Then will My reports update once I got the SSN office?
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 3 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Skye12329 wrote:
Alright. Then will My reports update once I got theSSN office?

My understanding from family members that have been through a name change is that the reports will get the update from your creditors once they report with your new last name.  It basically works like an address change, if everything 'flows' correctly. 

If you are the 1-in-100000 that has an glitch, you can always send proof (copy of marriage license) directly to the credit bureaus, but that shouldn't be necessary unless something goes haywire.  Lot of folks get married across the country, and lot and lots of those do name changes, so the credit bureaus are used to working around it. 

I'm sure you'll be fine. Smiley Wink

P.S.  MoreRewards is right on the money... you need to get your file with the SSA updated, then you can move forward updating it everywhere else.  Fun stuff!

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

My understanding from family members that have been through a name change is that the reports will get the update from your creditors once they report with your new last name.  It basically works like an address change, if everything 'flows' correctly. 

If you are the 1-in-100000 that has an glitch, you can always send proof (copy of marriage license) directly to the credit bureaus, but that shouldn't be necessary unless something goes haywire.  Lot of folks get married across the country, and lot and lots of those do name changes, so the credit bureaus are used to working around it. 

P.S.  MoreRewards is right on the money... you need to get your file with the SSA updated, then you can move forward updating it everywhere else.  Fun stuff!

dang... thank god i didn't change my last name when i got married. imagine going through all that.... and get divorced later and have to change it all back Smiley LOL

Message 5 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@Skye12329 wrote:

dang... thank god i didn't change my last name when i got married. imagine going through all that.... and get divorced later and have to change it all back Smiley LOL

Red, you're pure evil... come over here and sit by me.  LOL  Smiley LOL

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife still hasn't changed her name with the social security office after 3 years and has had no problem changing her name on cards or bank accounts or getting approved for new cards and a mortgage with her married name and her cr's all show both names...the only thing she has to use her maiden name on is tax returns
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

Red, you're pure evil... come over here and sit by me.  LOL  Smiley LOL

I'm not evil... i'm just cynical thanks to failed marriage Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
My wife still hasn't changed her name with the social security office after 3 years and has had no problem changing her name on cards or bank accounts or getting approved for new cards and a mortgage with her married name and her cr's all show both names...the only thing she has to use her maiden name on is tax returns

Yeah, this will 'work', since even brick-and-mortar banks only need to see a copy of your marriage certificate, if they even ask for that much.  There's another thread going right now, though, with somebody that is dealing with a name mismatch (not due to marriage) and it can get messy. 

Your wife will probably be fine, but if she ever gets a passport (or renews an existing one) she'll definitely want to make sure all the records match, or just disregard her married name alltogether, since TSA is now connected to all the other databases (including SSA).  It would be a shame to be denied boarding an international flight because of a 'flag' on a passport caused by an alias.  Of course, just consistently using only her maiden name with government paperwork would work as well.

Just my 2¢ 

Message 9 of 13
yfan
Valued Contributor

@Skye12329 wrote:
So I will be getting married in the next 30 days or within. I'm question is what do I need to do regarding CCs and my SSN? Because my last name will be changing.

Well you got all the credit card advice from others, I'm just here to say Congratulations!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.