Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Men, I have a question.....

tag
Sheisaking
Contributor

Re: Men, I have a question.....

@Anonymous-own-fico wrote:

If someone is responsible with credit cards, he’s more likely to talk about them. If he’s reckless or against them and uses a debit card, chances are he doesn’t know enough about credit or may have run into a financial pothole. So if you sense resistance, there may be more to it than the privacy issue; after all, doesn’t steady dating include getting to know each other? At some point down the road, an issue not easily touched on could be a signal of trouble, and who wants to marry into that?

Exactly!! I'm slowly learning that not everyone feels the way you do though. Thank you for the feedback. 

Starting Score: 400s
Current Score: Equifax: 676, TransUnion: 710, Experian: 721
Goal Score: 750 or higher

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 38
ACsteel
Frequent Contributor

I think this is a two way street, as I too get curious about a woman's financial status but want to be tact about asking questions related.

The way I do it, I make a joke about being in the golden years and then ask about retirement ideas. If you can gather the person has the ability to be successfully saving for a retirement\savings goal, that is a good lead that they have some financial stability. If not then you can kind of assume they are living check to check or in some kind of debt.

Income is a very personal inquiry and I think that should never be discussed, and for the most part I find it irrelevant; it is more important what their expenses are versus their income, if they are in the "green" meaning their total expenses/debts per month are significantly less then their earnings, they are in a pretty solid financial state.

Message 12 of 38
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

@ACsteel wrote:

it is more important what their expenses are versus their income

It hasn’t gotten any easier though. So as FICO agrees with you, companies have increasingly looked into whether employees with lower credit scores are more likely to steal from them, but studies show they are not. They did find however that credit scores are correlated with less desirable personality traits; ranking high on the scale of conscientiousness apparently isn’t the same as being a good person! How’s that for a Monday morning wake-up call? Smiley Surprised

Message 13 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got divorced nine years ago.  A few months ago, I got remarried.  I own a home and two cars in a fairly affluent community.  So may people assumed I had money in the bank and good credit!  Not so much!  After my divorce my credit score dropped down to 520.  This happened mostly because the equity on my house took a hit when my ex took her piece out.  So my "debt to income ratio" didnt look so great.  

American Express took my card away simply because of that debt to income ratio, not because I was late with payments.  Visa dropped my limit from "no limit" to $300!  

What a mess!  Today, my score is back up to 727.  I have an American Express in my pocket and a Visa card that has a $5000 limit that i barely use.  etc..etc...

My point is this:  You can probably tell more about his financial state by keeping your eyes open for the cards in his wallet and the way he lives.  

Is he easy on the topic of money?  Does he ever talk about investments?  Or simply;  does he seem like a sensible guy?

I can tell you this:  During those years that I dated there were a few people who had the wroing impression about my financial state.  And yes, goldiggers abound out there!

Either way;  It would be a real turn off if someone flat out asked me what my credit rating was!  

If he is a sensible guy, it will show up in more ways than one.  Good luck!  

Message 14 of 38
Sheisaking
Contributor

@ACsteel wrote:

I think this is a two way street, as I too get curious about a woman's financial status but want to be tact about asking questions related.

The way I do it, I make a joke about being in the golden years and then ask about retirement ideas. If you can gather the person has the ability to be successfully saving for a retirement\savings goal, that is a good lead that they have some financial stability. If not then you can kind of assume they are living check to check or in some kind of debt.

Income is a very personal inquiry and I think that should never be discussed, and for the most part I find it irrelevant; it is more important what their expenses are versus their income, if they are in the "green" meaning their total expenses/debts per month are significantly less then their earnings, they are in a pretty solid financial state.

Thank you for your feedback!

Message 15 of 38
Sheisaking
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I got divorced nine years ago.  A few months ago, I got remarried.  I own a home and two cars in a fairly affluent community.  So may people assumed I had money in the bank and good credit!  Not so much!  After my divorce my credit score dropped down to 520.  This happened mostly because the equity on my house took a hit when my ex took her piece out.  So my "debt to income ratio" didnt look so great.  

American Express took my card away simply because of that debt to income ratio, not because I was late with payments.  Visa dropped my limit from "no limit" to $300!  

What a mess!  Today, my score is back up to 727.  I have an American Express in my pocket and a Visa card that has a $5000 limit that i barely use.  etc..etc...

My point is this:  You can probably tell more about his financial state by keeping your eyes open for the cards in his wallet and the way he lives.  

Is he easy on the topic of money?  Does he ever talk about investments?  Or simply;  does he seem like a sensible guy?

I can tell you this:  During those years that I dated there were a few people who had the wroing impression about my financial state.  And yes, goldiggers abound out there!

Either way;  It would be a real turn off if someone flat out asked me what my credit rating was!  

If he is a sensible guy, it will show up in more ways than one.  Good luck!  

Thanks for the tips. I will definately keep an eye open and look for signs.

Message 16 of 38
spydergto
Regular Contributor

alot of good points were already made. lol i had to google conscientiousness. I was wondering though how long you had been dating him. as mentioned earlier you should just pay attention to the finite details. what cards is he using to pay for those dinner dates ? how is he living ? does he share an apartment with roommates etc. Also bringing topics up about your own sitch helps. If he is responsible he will be willing to compare and or bring other information to you such as if you mention wanting to get a lower intrest rate on such and such if he pays attention to details like that he will tell you. such as I just noticed my credit union is now offering 1.78% intrest on auto loans while when i refinanced i got 1.99% and yes i got kinda butthurt on that. :3 . If he is financially responsible you will see things like his cell phone is through a major carrier and is never cut off or temp suspended due to non payment of bills. A really bad sign is things like working out payment details to pay monthly cellular bills. 

if you have been dating him for a while you can always mention living together too because that comes hand in hand with working out finances. along time ago I lived in a bad area where people could even get pre paid electricy. huge point there if they can not even get services. Some people dont need to make six figures to be able to handle the financial balance. as long as they keep the green green and not fall into the red they can always do better later. 

but if your asking and worried i think it better to just watch and pay attention to the small details first before approaching the subject if your concerned on how he might react. personally my friends complain because its apparently all i think about. everything i do is a decision on how it might effect my scores. I use the debit card first until the cash is almost empty then use the CC for gas for a week until the check comes in then pay in full every time. you have to watch for responsible behavior. does he buy stuff on CC's in high amounts and if so if he can consistently do that over and over he is either paying it in full , or not. the results will show in time when either he still has a card in 6 months or they cancel it and he no longer has the card and is now avoiding phone calls.

Ex 750 10/22/2013 Eq 651 11/09/2013 TU 721 12/9/2013

5/14/14 Equifax – 673 Experian – 744 Transunion – 722

already bought the house! closed with a great deal all thanks to information i learned here!
Message 17 of 38
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Sheisaking wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Heard this topic being discussed on the radio a few weeks ago (when is it OK for a woman to ask a guy about their income/credit). VERY mixed, polarizing views on the subject by both men and women who called in, so definitely seems like something that needs to be navigated with caution.

Me? I'd welcome it even on the first date, even though I have extremely average credit right now. OK, not on the first date, but definitely a few months in, no problem. I think finances are very important in a relationship- not necessarily in terms of how much you make, but do you have a handle on yours? I think it's pretty smart and prudent to figure out whether someone is financially mature (or can be) before deciding whether to commit to them potentially for the rest of your lives. Don't they say that most marraiges fail at least in part due to arguments about money?

Also just wanted to add that although I focused on credit and responsible money management, asking about income would be OK too. I never understood why it's so taboo to bring up this kind of stuff earlier in relationships. How is it any more superficial to worry about your partner's finances than it is about their face, their height, their weight, the clothes they wear, etc? As long as you remain faithful to each other and are both genuinely happy, I just don't see the problem.

Interesting point of view. I personally feel the same way, but I know the topic can be touchy. What I was looking for is how the average man feels about it. You definitely helped with your response. Thank you.

Grin, nothing really to add other than to state the opinions found on this forum will be far from average on this topic.

I would have zero issue even if a woman brought it up on a first date with me, none whatsoever and I'd even welcome it as it saves me the awkwardness of trying to figure out how to bring the subject up; income is usually fairly easy to figure out assuming they're employed within 10K give or take, but fiscal responsibility is hard.  End of the day at some point I'm going to want to swap Experian reports before we take that final leap of faith: sad and unromantic as it is, finances are just too damned important to ignore in a relationship.

        
Message 18 of 38
compassion101
Established Contributor

Tell him how proud you are about paying bills on time and maintaining a good credit score and saving money (or whichever of those things are true).  Ask him how important those things are to him, and offer to help him improve his credit score if he would like. You should be able to take the conversation from there.

Message 19 of 38
masscredit
Valued Contributor

I've dated a lot of women and never had that question come up. Didn't really think of it as a priority on my end and I guess none of them thought the same. You can kind of get a feel for things as you get to know someone. For example, if they don't have much money on them or... start asking to borrow money here and there. Then that will tell you a few things. Doesn't mean that they are a bad person though.  Even good people have financial issues.  Men with kids are more likely to have financal problems than women with kids. Men usually give up about 1/3 of their pre-tax income to child support while women collect that money an aren't taxed on it. So a man can have a good job and be financally responsible but child support can be dragging them into financial ruin.

Or, there might be other things that can lower a financially educated/responsible person's scores. My life was financially great 10 years ago. Now, I'm a few years into rebuilding. I'm the same person either way, just have lower scores and a lot less cash on hand. 

We all have baggage. Some have a few carry on bags while others have enough to resemble an airport terminal. 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.