cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My friend asked for help...but then laughed when I gave him the answer...

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
New Contributor

My friend asked for help...but then laughed when I gave him the answer...

...and I feel way more insulted than I should be.

 

My friend asked why he was denied for Apple Card and how he can get approved.  Long story short, my friend is a complete idiot with money. 19 years old already with late payments on credit report, scores in low 500's.

His debts are $11,000 personal loan that was used to buy a (now totaled) car. 

$2000 student loan, currently deferred

$624 cap1 credit card, $500 limit, around 70 days late, opened in April.

 

I told him that immediately the capital one card needs to be paid to be current and under the limit, and to continute making at least the minimum payment each month until paid off, and to use the insurance check to pay off the personal loan.  Continue to make on time payments on the CC so the score can improve.

 

When I told him this, he pretty mich smirked and legitimately thinks that it's no big deal.  At the end of the day, it's his life, his credit, his money, and doesn't affect me but I feel really insulted that he asked for help, then laughed at me afterwards and said that "he's got other things to spend money on"



Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Valued Contributor

Re: My friend asked for help...but then laughed when I gave him the answer...


@jimmy2000 wrote:

...and I feel way more insulted than I should be.

 

My friend asked why he was denied for Apple Card and how he can get approved.  Long story short, my friend is a complete idiot with money. 19 years old already with late payments on credit report, scores in low 500's.

His debts are $11,000 personal loan that was used to buy a (now totaled) car. 

$2000 student loan, currently deferred

$624 cap1 credit card, $500 limit, around 70 days late, opened in April.

 

I told him that immediately the capital one card needs to be paid to be current and under the limit, and to continute making at least the minimum payment each month until paid off, and to use the insurance check to pay off the personal loan.  Continue to make on time payments on the CC so the score can improve.

 

When I told him this, he pretty mich smirked and legitimately thinks that it's no big deal.  At the end of the day, it's his life, his credit, his money, and doesn't affect me but I feel really insulted that he asked for help, then laughed at me afterwards and said that "he's got other things to spend money on"


I highlighted the important information to explain his behavior, and to the best of my knowledge only time will cure the affliction. I have a long held belief that brain cells grow at a much slower rate than other body part cells do, but I have no direct evidence to support that theory. I do have tons of circumstantial evidence though including countless youtube posts of them eating tide pods or similar activities. If you discover a better explaination, I am all ears.

TU fico08=823 10/28/19
EX fico08=813 10/16/19
EQ fico08=823 10/04/19
EX fico09=810 10/02/19
EQ fico bankcard08=844 09/24/19
Message 2 of 25
Regular Contributor

Re: My friend asked for help...but then laughed when I gave him the answer...

You've said it all.  Your friend is a "complete idiot with money" and is "19."    He didn't want a real answer that required change.  He wanted you to give him an answer that required nothing but an easy quick fix to get the shiny new credit card.    So there's no reason to take offense.    He's  immature.

Open Credit Cards:
Green Dot Primor Secured (5/18) - $450 CL
Capital One Platinum (8/18) PC'd to Quicksilver (9/19) - $600 CL
Capital One QuicksilverOne (3/19) - $1500 CL
Merrick Bank DYL VISA (6/19) - $700 CL - (Doubles to $1400 CL 12/19)
Discover it Cash Back (9/19) - $1000 CL

Experian FICO Score - 8/2018: 528
Experian FICO Score - 9/2019: 647
Message 3 of 25
Valued Contributor

Re: My friend asked for help...but then laughed when I gave him the answer...


@jimmy2000 wrote:

...and I feel way more insulted than I should be.


Don't be...  you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it think.

 

EQ8:850 TU8:850 EX8:850
EQ9:850 TU9:850 EX9:850
EQ5:809 TU4:789 EX2:819 - 2019-09-06
Message 4 of 25
Regular Contributor

Re: My friend asked for help...but then laughed when I gave him the answer...

Age has nothing to do with it.

Some people are dumb@$$es, and others are not.
We see plenty enough threads in this forum in regards to relatives such as uncles & siblings in their 30s, 40s, and 50s in complete financial chaos & denial about it.

Some people are willing to listen/actually want help. Others...well, sometimes you just gotta let nature take its course.


@Jimmy2000
I think you know well enough who between you and your friend is the dumb one...
You may want to slowly distance yourself from him. At the very least, don't talk too much about your finances & savings. Keep it at, "yea, man, it's tough out here making a living. Just keeping my bills paid and the lights on."

You know his financial background...you know he is NOT good for a loan. So don't lend him money. The time is going to eventually come. If you ever give him anything, be sure it is a small enough amount that it won't effect yourself in anyway and don't actually expect to be repaid. If you do, take it as a pleasant surprise...but don't think that's reason to start lending him larger amounts.

Don't get frustrated by being patient. He's probably going to look fun & flashy with "those better things he has to spend money on." But...it'll only be for a few more years. You can see he is just overextending his access to credit. He's about to run into a brick wall of not being able to get a new credit card or loan. Owing tons of money. And just being miserably burdened with overwhelming debt for the 20 years.

Message 5 of 25
Valued Contributor

Re: My friend asked for help...but then laughed when I gave him the answer...


@Rebuilt wrote:

Age has nothing to do with it.

Some people are dumb@$$es, and others are not.
We see plenty enough threads in this forum in regards to relatives such as uncles & siblings in their 30s, 40s, and 50s in complete financial chaos & denial about it.

Some people are willing to listen/actually want help. Others...well, sometimes you just gotta let nature take its course.


@Jimmy2000
I think you know well enough who between you and your friend is the dumb one...
You may want to slowly distance yourself from him. At the very least, don't talk too much about your finances & savings. Keep it at, "yea, man, it's tough out here making a living. Just keeping my bills paid and the lights on."

You know his financial background...you know he is NOT good for a loan. So don't lend him money. The time is going to eventually come. If you ever give him anything, be sure it is a small enough amount that it won't effect yourself in anyway and don't actually expect to be repaid. If you do, take it as a pleasant surprise...but don't think that's reason to start lending him larger amounts.

Don't get frustrated by being patient. He's probably going to look fun & flashy with "those better things he has to spend money on." But...it'll only be for a few more years. You can see he is just overextending his access to credit. He's about to run into a brick wall of not being able to get a new credit card or loan. Owing tons of money. And just being miserably burdened with overwhelming debt for the 20 years.


Now, his friend may still be stupid when he is 60, but until I start seeing a bunch of youtube video's where the geriatric crowd is doing the tide pod challenge or some other life threatening, rude, or obnoxious acts and loading their video on the net, where proof of their stupidity will be forever, I will believe age is a factor.

TU fico08=823 10/28/19
EX fico08=813 10/16/19
EQ fico08=823 10/04/19
EX fico09=810 10/02/19
EQ fico bankcard08=844 09/24/19
Message 6 of 25
Frequent Contributor

Re: My friend asked for help...but then laughed when I gave him the answer...

I don’t know if it’s so much age directly as it is experience. Everyone has a need to grow up at a different pace. Hopefully, when he has the need for things like financial stability, family, buying a house, buying a car, etc he will see the error of his ways. 

Personal Credit -
AMEX: Platinum, Green, Cash Magnet, Schwab Investor
PNC: Cash Rewards, Points
NFCU: Flaghship Rewards, Cash Rewards, More Rewards, CLOC
PSECU: Founders
BB&T: Spectrum Cash Rewards
CapOne: Quicksilver
Discover: IT Chrome
Synchrony: PayPal 2%, PayPal Credit
Barclays: Uber
Store Cards: Target
AU Cards: Citi Rewards+

Business Credit-
AMEX: Blue Business Plus, Amazon Prime, Simply Cash Plus
Message 7 of 25
Established Contributor

Re: My friend asked for help...but then laughed when I gave him the answer...


@sarge12 wrote:

@Rebuilt wrote:

Age has nothing to do with it.

Some people are dumb@$$es, and others are not.
We see plenty enough threads in this forum in regards to relatives such as uncles & siblings in their 30s, 40s, and 50s in complete financial chaos & denial about it.

Some people are willing to listen/actually want help. Others...well, sometimes you just gotta let nature take its course.


@Jimmy2000
I think you know well enough who between you and your friend is the dumb one...
You may want to slowly distance yourself from him. At the very least, don't talk too much about your finances & savings. Keep it at, "yea, man, it's tough out here making a living. Just keeping my bills paid and the lights on."

You know his financial background...you know he is NOT good for a loan. So don't lend him money. The time is going to eventually come. If you ever give him anything, be sure it is a small enough amount that it won't effect yourself in anyway and don't actually expect to be repaid. If you do, take it as a pleasant surprise...but don't think that's reason to start lending him larger amounts.

Don't get frustrated by being patient. He's probably going to look fun & flashy with "those better things he has to spend money on." But...it'll only be for a few more years. You can see he is just overextending his access to credit. He's about to run into a brick wall of not being able to get a new credit card or loan. Owing tons of money. And just being miserably burdened with overwhelming debt for the 20 years.


Now, his friend may still be stupid when he is 60, but until I start seeing a bunch of youtube video's where the geriatric crowd is doing the tide pod challenge or some other life threatening, rude, or obnoxious acts and loading their video on the net, where proof of their stupidity will be forever, I will believe age is a factor.


Thats natural selection in action.  It isn't that people get smarter as they get older, its that the biggest idiots die off first, so the averages go up.

Message 8 of 25
Regular Contributor

Re: My friend asked for help...but then laughed when I gave him the answer...

First off, don’t feel insulted. You gave good advice, he just didn’t really want to hear it

 

second. Tell him it has nothing to do with Apple/GS...  lots of other companies will deny him a CC as well! 

 

He will likely figure it out some day. But you gave the advice he needed to hear.  That is all you can do. 

July 31/2019. EX-712. EQ-704. TU-726
Aug 23/2019. EX-709 EQ-710 TU-731
Oct 25 2019. EX-715 EQ-712 TU-734
Message 9 of 25
Regular Contributor

Re: My friend asked for help...but then laughed when I gave him the answer...


@sarge12 wrote:

@Rebuilt wrote:

Age has nothing to do with it.

Some people are dumb@$$es, and others are not.
We see plenty enough threads in this forum in regards to relatives such as uncles & siblings in their 30s, 40s, and 50s in complete financial chaos & denial about it.

Some people are willing to listen/actually want help. Others...well, sometimes you just gotta let nature take its course.


@Jimmy2000
I think you know well enough who between you and your friend is the dumb one...
You may want to slowly distance yourself from him. At the very least, don't talk too much about your finances & savings. Keep it at, "yea, man, it's tough out here making a living. Just keeping my bills paid and the lights on."

You know his financial background...you know he is NOT good for a loan. So don't lend him money. The time is going to eventually come. If you ever give him anything, be sure it is a small enough amount that it won't effect yourself in anyway and don't actually expect to be repaid. If you do, take it as a pleasant surprise...but don't think that's reason to start lending him larger amounts.

Don't get frustrated by being patient. He's probably going to look fun & flashy with "those better things he has to spend money on." But...it'll only be for a few more years. You can see he is just overextending his access to credit. He's about to run into a brick wall of not being able to get a new credit card or loan. Owing tons of money. And just being miserably burdened with overwhelming debt for the 20 years.


Now, his friend may still be stupid when he is 60, but until I start seeing a bunch of youtube video's where the geriatric crowd is doing the tide pod challenge or some other life threatening, rude, or obnoxious acts and loading their video on the net, where proof of their stupidity will be forever, I will believe age is a factor.


Hmm, maybe not Tide Pods...but I've seen enough political debates posted onto YouTube to assure you there are plenty of documented morons in their 60s. There are plenty throughout government.

Flint, Michigan water supply is still lololololol quality.

Heck, I full well recall the last recession...and all those bailouts...don't see how the youngins had anything to do with that.

 

"Hello, this is the IRS. You owe us $20,000 dollars. You must send it in the form of Amazon and Apple gift cards. Failure to comply will result in us taking your home."

I'm pretty certain it isn't the youngins falling for that one...only the oldies.  Smiley Wink

 

I'll stand by my statement that age isn't too indicative of financial responsibility. 

 

Side note: considering the alarming amount of mercury inside the food the average person consumes,  I don't see why a Tide Pod is front and center news.

...guess it must be the mercury.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.