Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My husband doesn't care about credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My husband doesn't care about credit

I would do an AU on someone that was interested in rebuilding or a newbie that needs a quick-start. 

However, I would give pause to give such a gracious gift to someone that doesn't care. 

I would ask him to visit some of these boards and learn the ramifications of credit and how it impacts your life. 

Here are some of my own personal scenarios. 

8 1/2 years into my employment I had to reapply for my job.  I worked for the joint venture daughter of the Mother Company. 

Me just coming off of divorce was mortified.  I thought I did not have to worry about my credit being looked at by my employer unless I was leaving and going for another job.  Low and behold I had to reapply and have my credit pulled for doing the same job, in the same building etc. 

What about if you have children or want children.  Having good credit can help facilitate those expensive times. 

IE Dental, College, braces, weddings etc. Even having pets. 

Medical and Dental issues arise i know this because I just had an emergency that led to an inpatient ... many times you can't even rent a car or a hotel room without a credit card on record. 

Not only mortgages but renting ! Also just having utilities these days .. they look at your credit. 

I understand he does not want to go into credit card debt.  But he must give his credit score the respect that it deserves. 

My ex husband was very good at credit, but even after the divorce he had a new gf with kids... and yet he slipped up and somethings that were still tied to me .. ie I did a quick quit deed let him have the home... he was to refinance for a loan modification but it took forever and there were late pays.. 30/60/90 to 120 ..finally the home went into loan mod just before a foreclosure .. so I was off the hook .. but my credit took a dive. 

Then he already moved out and he ended up with foreclosure anyway.. which was fortunate to escape.. but that is my only baddie on my credit report .. even the best of credits can take a dive.  

Unfortunately there is no separation of Church and State when it comes to Marriage.  Its a contract somewhat like a business in some ways. 

You are financially bound on so many levels.  Money is a huge culprit in many divorces.  In my case it was video games.  If he is not interested in working as a team moving along in life that is concerning.  It is understandable if someone credit is dinged and damaged through job loss, medical or uncontrollable circumstances.  But just because I don't care cause I have cash.  Well that is unacceptable to me.  In that case I would say Dear Husband... I love you !  I will stay with you !  But we need to divorce because I can't be tied to an anchor financially.  This way his credit does not jeapordize you. But that is just me. 

I would not accept a marriage proposal from my boyfriend because I was mortified by my low credit and possibility of anything coming after me .. after my divorce.   He knew why my no.  But also it was so hard and expensive to untwist things.  Hell I was put on someones credit as an AU and they were disputing and late with pays and utilizaition was like 90%.  I was not even married and only on as an AU and the CC was getting creative and dinging me.  Saying it was my debt.  I had to fight to have it corrected.  So don't be thinking that you are married and you can keep everything separate.. cause debtors get creative and vicious.  

You really need to have a pow-wow sit down with him. Money/Credit is a foundation for your future together.  

If its okay he does not care and you think you can circumvent and navigate the waters of building your own financial security then no worries. 

But I get the feeling you do care about your white picket fence and future together.  I would suggest marriage counseling if he does not take your concerns seriously. 

Best of Wishes. 

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

PS I understand the credit realm is overwhelming.. but him not caring to take an interest is one thing... but not allowing you to be the brains of the financing is another disturbing thing.  Definitely, would look into marriage counseling.  I think that could help.  Many 

Message 12 of 15
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@tacpoly wrote:

If he wants to buy a house as well and doesn't have the entire cost saved up, then he'll soon realize that whatever he thinks about credit, he will have no choice but to participate.  Sometimes you just have to let people learn a lesson when they're good and ready. 

Personally, I wouldn't attach my credit to anyone who shows that much disregard for theirs. 

+1

This may not help him, but it may actually come back to bite you unfortunately

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit is also cheap financing. Much cheaper than equity. I have a car loan at $20,000, 1.9% APR that I could pay off tomorrow. But I've had that money and more invested earning 8% or so, so why would I do that? I have friends making money hand over fist with their own businesses they started with cash, instead of paying their student loans, car loan, and mortgage.

No one needs credit but it makes crises safer, and it makes saving and investing easier. Too many people miss out on great opportunities so they can act self-righteous and brag about how mature they are. There's no bonus points for making things harder than they have to be! Not smart!
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't say my husband doesn't care about credit, he just has no time to do all the "bill paying".  I did help him get exceptional credit and great limits on the cards he has.  I did the app'ing, he did the calling, etc. when he got the card.  His score is higher than mine only because he has his credit longer and has not app'd for anything for a while.  But if left to pay his bills himself, he would have awful credit!  He does what he does as far as business goes and I help with business bills, trying to get info for maintenance contracts and take care of all of our bills at home.  It's a 50/50 thing for men & women.  I know my mom didn't do anything with bills.  Only my dad.  My daughter is kind of the same since she's been married.  Knows nothing about bills lately.   Will get a cc but hubby pays everything for her.  Everyone is different.  I did educate my hubby on credit and how it works.  Maybe you can do the same?  Hubby used to say the same thing.  Pay for everything and we own it and have no bills.  Then came the desire to build our dream home and he realized that we needed credit.  Got our house, then a car loan and some cc's.  Then things took off from there.  Good luck.   

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.