cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU is NOT the industry standard! Duh..

tag
Hut1
Established Contributor

NFCU is NOT the industry standard! Duh..

Piggy backing off my recent approval thread: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/NAVY-WHAT-2nd-CC-amp-PC-Who-forgot-to-lock-th...

Of course, I called my DH to tell him about the PC since he's an AU on that account, but I also mentioned I was approved for the cash rewards. My wifey-sense started tingling, so I asked him why he's annoyed. He denied any anoyance at first, but eventually admitted to it, and here's his why....

"I see you just applying for more and more cards and making these moves to build your credit & I'm stuck over here not being able to do anything since I just took out a car & personal loan. I feel like I'm the one with all the debt, while you're over there with this squeaky clean file."

Okay, dear. Your greivance is acknowledged. Now allow me to point out a few things:

1. DH: 750+ FICO, Me: 690 FICO
  2. DH: 25 yr AAoA, Me: 4 yr AAoA
  3. DH: thick file, Me: thin file
  4. DH: 0 derogs, Me: 5 late payments

If I recall correctly, within 30 mins of my 1st CC approval ever which happened to be a Navy Go @ $15K, my DH called and asked for a CLI on his CC from $15K -> $25K. So, this isn't really about who carries more financial burden..this leads me to believe that my DH has created (in his mind) a competition between NFCU and the two of us on who they 'value' more. I had to explain to my DH that NFCU is NOT the banking/lending standard by showing him thread after thread of NFCU low FICO approals of $10K+ while also reminding him that both his and my SL's with other lenders (Chase, Cap1, etc.) are/were $6K and under. I think he understands now that NFCU doesn't love me more just because I now have one more high limit CC than him.

I say all of this to say please don't base your expectations of credit offerings on what NFCU has offered you. They are a generous oddball that no one can keep up with which makes them highly coveted. Don't let them spoil you to thinking it's normal. 

Also, when breaking the news of a new massive SL approval to your S/O, make sure you have tropical flavored skittles nearby as a peace offering. You're welcome. 

download

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU is NOT the industry standard! Duh..

LOLOLOL I love this so much!

Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Girlzilla88  It sounds like he has credit limit envy.   Different cc like different types of profiles.   When I did the rebuild after the 2008/2009 fall out, I rebuilt DW first it has about 14 cards hence thick .  Mine has   about 7 cards.  DW  scores run about 770-800 now mine 790-820 now.   Most of our cards do not overlap.   Using the same income DW Amex limit is $18,000 and 14.xx apr. mine $10,000 20.xx apr.   DW just got a fantastic plan it  offer from Amex of 0% apr  $0 fees for $15,000  for 24 months.   For the most part all of DW cards have higher limits than  mine, mine  tend to be middle of the road  But we use the same income.       It really does not matter in our case as money comes out of the same pot our business. For most couples I believe it would from the same account also.

DW and I personally love NFCU.   We have our 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited  through them at 2.99%.   It was super easy and great rate/  

Message 3 of 25
Itgem679
Regular Contributor

@Hut1 wrote:

Also, when breaking the news of a new massive SL approval to your S/O, make sure you have tropical flavored skittles nearby as a peace offering. You're welcome. 

I LOVE Tropical Skittles! That would put me in a happy mood almost instantly, too... Smiley Happy

Gardening until 2023. Current scores (11/2022): Ex: 757 Eq: 757 Tu: 757
CLs: (As of 12/2022)
First Tech World Mastercard: $10k
American Express: $1K
AAdvantage: $2.8K
Wells Fargo Platinum: $4.6K
Discover It (blue): $4.5K
Discover It (red): $4.5K
~6 other cards with limits under $2K
Auth'd user on 1 Capital One card.
All balances stay under 5%.
Message 4 of 25
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

@Backwoods nice 

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hut1 wrote:

"I see you just applying for more and more cards and making these moves to build your credit & I'm stuck over here not being able to do anything since I just took out a car & personal loan. I feel like I'm the one with all the debt, while you're over there with this squeaky clean file."

This made me chuckle 😂

Dont be too hard on him....in his defense, we all do it at times especially on this site. 😂

Message 6 of 25
Hut1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Hut1 wrote:

This made me chuckle 😂

Dont be too hard on him....in his defense, we all do it at times especially on this site. 😂

In his defense, he would be correct. Lol. My credit was never good enough to put items in my name & still get a decent rate. Hence, the reason I'm over here building like a mad (wo)man. Smiley LOL I just gave him some tropical skittles & his mind wandered off in bliss. 

download

Message 7 of 25
Hut1
Established Contributor

@Itgem679 wrote:

@Hut1 wrote:

I LOVE Tropical Skittles! That would put me in a happy mood almost instantly, too... Smiley Happy

See?!?! I know what I'm doing. Smiley Very Happy

download

Message 8 of 25
Hut1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Girlzilla88  It sounds like he has credit limit envy.   Different cc like different types of profiles.   When I did the rebuild after the 2008/2009 fall out, I rebuilt DW first it has about 14 cards hence thick .  Mine has   about 7 cards.  DW  scores run about 770-800 now mine 790-820 now.   Most of our cards do not overlap.   Using the same income DW Amex limit is $18,000 and 14.xx apr. mine $10,000 20.xx apr.   DW just got a fantastic plan it  offer from Amex of 0% apr  $0 fees for $15,000  for 24 months.   For the most part all of DW cards have higher limits than  mine, mine  tend to be middle of the road  But we use the same income.       It really does not matter in our case as money comes out of the same pot our business. For most couples I believe it would from the same account also.

DW and I personally love NFCU.   We have our 2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited  through them at 2.99%.   It was super easy and great rate/  

Bless my DH's heart, but he has a basic understanding of how credit works and even managed to have a successful business for about 5-6 years before joining the Navy. I tried explaining some lenders will like me and some lenders will like him and he just stared at me like I had two heads. Smiley LOL

download

Message 9 of 25
MsSWS
Valued Member

😂😆😁ABSOLUTELY! BEST POST EVER!! This was right on time!!!! Very real, relatable.Lmao. Where they do that at?? NFCU baby!
EQ:632 (10/28/19)
TU:670 (10/28/19)
EX:659 (10/28/19)
Georgia's Own Classic Visa Secured (2016 ) $200sl, Graduated unsecured (2017) $500cl,(2019 cli $1,500
TJX Retail (7/19)$800sl TJX Upgraded Mastercard(03/20)4,000cli
Quicksilver One(7/19)$500sl (01/20)cli of$250$750cl
BOA Cash Rewards (part secured 99/500)(9/19)
NFCU Cash Rewards
(10/19)$13,100sl.+6,000cli(02/20)$19,100
NFCU More Rewards American Express(2/2020) $20,000sl
Discover It(02/20) $5,000sl

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.