cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU is NOT the industry standard! Duh..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: NFCU is NOT the industry standard! Duh..

Thank you for delievering such a useful information!

Message 11 of 25
Azuieldrago
Frequent Contributor

Sounds like you damaged his ego. Get him a few jars to open, something high to grab for you and something manly for him to do. 

30 day post DC
60 days post DC
94 days post DC

INQUIRES

Store Cards
Message 12 of 25
iced
Valued Contributor

@Hut1 wrote:

Piggy backing off my recent approval thread: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/NAVY-WHAT-2nd-CC-amp-PC-Who-forgot-to-lock-th...

Of course, I called my DH to tell him about the PC since he's an AU on that account, but I also mentioned I was approved for the cash rewards. My wifey-sense started tingling, so I asked him why he's annoyed. He denied any anoyance at first, but eventually admitted to it, and here's his why....

"I see you just applying for more and more cards and making these moves to build your credit & I'm stuck over here not being able to do anything since I just took out a car & personal loan. I feel like I'm the one with all the debt, while you're over there with this squeaky clean file."

Okay, dear. Your greivance is acknowledged. Now allow me to point out a few things:

1. DH: 750+ FICO, Me: 690 FICO
  2. DH: 25 yr AAoA, Me: 4 yr AAoA
  3. DH: thick file, Me: thin file
  4. DH: 0 derogs, Me: 5 late payments

If I recall correctly, within 30 mins of my 1st CC approval ever which happened to be a Navy Go @ $15K, my DH called and asked for a CLI on his CC from $15K -> $25K. So, this isn't really about who carries more financial burden..this leads me to believe that my DH has created (in his mind) a competition between NFCU and the two of us on who they 'value' more. I had to explain to my DH that NFCU is NOT the banking/lending standard by showing him thread after thread of NFCU low FICO approals of $10K+ while also reminding him that both his and my SL's with other lenders (Chase, Cap1, etc.) are/were $6K and under. I think he understands now that NFCU doesn't love me more just because I now have one more high limit CC than him.

I say all of this to say please don't base your expectations of credit offerings on what NFCU has offered you. They are a generous oddball that no one can keep up with which makes them highly coveted. Don't let them spoil you to thinking it's normal. 

Also, when breaking the news of a new massive SL approval to your S/O, make sure you have tropical flavored skittles nearby as a peace offering. You're welcome. 

I would go one step further and say NFCU is a generous oddball coveted by (re)builders. People not needing or interested in (re)building aren't going around looking for ways to "get in" with them as they already have equal or better options. I always thought they were just a CU for military families, nothing more and nothing less.

I suspect NFCU's popularity around here is more about people reading posts and following in others' rebuilding steps than anything else. There's a thousand ways to get decent loans and credit cards, but many forum readers just do the same 5-6 tricks that are well-documented, like reading the strategy guide to a beat a game.

Message 13 of 25
Hut1
Established Contributor

@iced wrote:

@Hut1 wrote:

Piggy backing off my recent approval thread: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/NAVY-WHAT-2nd-CC-amp-PC-Who-forgot-to-lock-th...

Of course, I called my DH to tell him about the PC since he's an AU on that account, but I also mentioned I was approved for the cash rewards. My wifey-sense started tingling, so I asked him why he's annoyed. He denied any anoyance at first, but eventually admitted to it, and here's his why....

"I see you just applying for more and more cards and making these moves to build your credit & I'm stuck over here not being able to do anything since I just took out a car & personal loan. I feel like I'm the one with all the debt, while you're over there with this squeaky clean file."

Okay, dear. Your greivance is acknowledged. Now allow me to point out a few things:

1. DH: 750+ FICO, Me: 690 FICO
  2. DH: 25 yr AAoA, Me: 4 yr AAoA
  3. DH: thick file, Me: thin file
  4. DH: 0 derogs, Me: 5 late payments

If I recall correctly, within 30 mins of my 1st CC approval ever which happened to be a Navy Go @ $15K, my DH called and asked for a CLI on his CC from $15K -> $25K. So, this isn't really about who carries more financial burden..this leads me to believe that my DH has created (in his mind) a competition between NFCU and the two of us on who they 'value' more. I had to explain to my DH that NFCU is NOT the banking/lending standard by showing him thread after thread of NFCU low FICO approals of $10K+ while also reminding him that both his and my SL's with other lenders (Chase, Cap1, etc.) are/were $6K and under. I think he understands now that NFCU doesn't love me more just because I now have one more high limit CC than him.

I say all of this to say please don't base your expectations of credit offerings on what NFCU has offered you. They are a generous oddball that no one can keep up with which makes them highly coveted. Don't let them spoil you to thinking it's normal. 

Also, when breaking the news of a new massive SL approval to your S/O, make sure you have tropical flavored skittles nearby as a peace offering. You're welcome. 

I would go one step further and say NFCU is a generous oddball coveted by (re)builders. People not needing or interested in (re)building aren't going around looking for ways to "get in" with them as they already have equal or better options. I always thought they were just a CU for military families, nothing more and nothing less.

I suspect NFCU's popularity around here is more about people reading posts and following in others' rebuilding steps than anything else. There's a thousand ways to get decent loans and credit cards, but many forum readers just do the same 5-6 tricks that are well-documented, like reading the strategy guide to a beat a game.

Agreed to a certain extent. I agree that most civilians who have no military affiliation have never heard of this CU and thanks to this board, they've seen the light.

I disagree that it's only star quality appeals to credit (re)builders. NFCU is more than just a one trick pony to my family, DOD employees and many other members. They've refunded me several thousand dollars within hours of fraud, notified us via personal call when fraud was suspected, offered us the lowest rates we've found with vehicle loans with checks cut that were in my possession the very next day by noon, preapproved our home loan within 24 hours, and offered us a no interest paycheck loan every time the government shut down. Not to mention their customer service is top notch and available 24/7. 

As far as I'm concerned, all myFICO did was spotlight an amazing CU and to that we say, you're welcome. 😊

download

Message 14 of 25
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I just had something similar happen with my wife. She's getting upset that I'm being approved for every card I apply for and she took shots at me. Made me feel stupid for telling her all happy.

Later she tried to apologize so I got up off the couch and said, "don't hate the ficoer, hate the game." Walked off to the room to watch Netflix that I paid for with my new card.

Message 15 of 25
iced
Valued Contributor

@Hut1 wrote:

@iced wrote:

Agreed to a certain extent. I agree that most civilians who have no military affiliation have never heard of this CU and thanks to this board, they've seen the light.

I disagree that it's only star quality appeals to credit (re)builders. NFCU is more than just a one trick pony to my family, DOD employees and many other members. They've refunded me several thousand dollars within hours of fraud, notified us via personal call when fraud was suspected, offered us the lowest rates we've found with vehicle loans with checks cut that were in my possession the very next day by noon, preapproved our home loan within 24 hours, and offered us a no interest paycheck loan every time the government shut down. Not to mention their customer service is top notch and available 24/7. 

As far as I'm concerned, all myFICO did was spotlight an amazing CU and to that we say, you're welcome. 😊

Highlighting my own post above to set context here.

- Refunding money in fraud transactions? Good job, just like other major banks. For me personally, Chase has gone one step further and blocked the fraud before the bad guys could even get the goods. They also call and text instantly upon fraud, my choice (I've chosen text, but have used voice in the past). If it's a false positive, they clear it and the charge goes through in 10 seconds. To be fair, I can't compare CU to CU here because I don't use any CU for credit card transactions as none offer anything close to a viable rewards program compared to the UR/MR ecosystems.

- Lowest auto rates? DCU also has 2.49%, as do several other CUs right now. All cut checks quickly. DCU (and Chase) also pre-approved my mortgage request within 24 hours.

- Haven't had a problem with customer service, and I can only presume there's 24/7 offerings out there though I've never had to make use of them.

I'm not trying to rain on the NFCU picnic that some like to attend here. I'm just saying it's not some unique snowflake that offers unparalleled everything to those who are members. Reading these forums, you'd think there's only two types of people in the world:

- Those who love NFCU and think it's the greatest!

- Those who don't know what NFCU is yet, but once they do, they'll think it's the greatest!

I'm simply saying there's a third category: Those who know what NFCU is and recognize it's a CU, similar to other CUs, with similar offerings to other CUs. Talking it up like it's the greatest of greats just entices FOMO in some to the point they'll try to get a military connection, no matter how tenuous, just to not miss out. The reality, though, is they're not really missing out because there's equal or better options out there they can take advantage of.

Message 16 of 25
MsSWS
Valued Member

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I just had something similar happen with my wife. She's getting upset that I'm being approved for every card I apply for and she took shots at me. Made me feel stupid for telling her all happy.

Later she tried to apologize so I got up off the couch and said, "don't hate the ficoer, hate the game." Walked off to the room to watch Netflix that I paid for with my new card.

😭😭😭 "Dont hate the ficoer, hate the game"😆🤣😂😭LOL!! GO GETCHO BUTT BACK ON THE COUCH!! 

EQ:632 (10/28/19)
TU:670 (10/28/19)
EX:659 (10/28/19)
Georgia's Own Classic Visa Secured (2016 ) $200sl, Graduated unsecured (2017) $500cl,(2019 cli $1,500
TJX Retail (7/19)$800sl TJX Upgraded Mastercard(03/20)4,000cli
Quicksilver One(7/19)$500sl (01/20)cli of$250$750cl
BOA Cash Rewards (part secured 99/500)(9/19)
NFCU Cash Rewards
(10/19)$13,100sl.+6,000cli(02/20)$19,100
NFCU More Rewards American Express(2/2020) $20,000sl
Discover It(02/20) $5,000sl

Message 17 of 25
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@MsSWS wrote:

😭😭😭 "Dont hate the ficoer, hate the game"😆🤣😂😭LOL!! GO GETCHO BUTT BACK ON THE COUCH!! 

I tried to help her, but she's doing her own thing. Used to tell people my credit wasn't great when it came up, now she's the one. She can stay on the couch.

Message 18 of 25
MsSWS
Valued Member

@MsSWS wrote:

I tried to help her, but she's doing her own thing. Used to tell people my credit wasn't great when it came up, now she's the one. She can stay on the couch.

Lol... Smh.. I understand.. Your credit profile looks good, I hope she soon follows suite!! Best Wishes. I'm so happy to have found the knowledge here. 

EQ:632 (10/28/19)
TU:670 (10/28/19)
EX:659 (10/28/19)
Georgia's Own Classic Visa Secured (2016 ) $200sl, Graduated unsecured (2017) $500cl,(2019 cli $1,500
TJX Retail (7/19)$800sl TJX Upgraded Mastercard(03/20)4,000cli
Quicksilver One(7/19)$500sl (01/20)cli of$250$750cl
BOA Cash Rewards (part secured 99/500)(9/19)
NFCU Cash Rewards
(10/19)$13,100sl.+6,000cli(02/20)$19,100
NFCU More Rewards American Express(2/2020) $20,000sl
Discover It(02/20) $5,000sl

Message 19 of 25
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@Hut1 wrote:

Huh? For years I have been hearing radio ads and seeing NFCU ads while watching football and hockey. Navy Federal aggressively markets itself locally and nationally. If civilians who have no military affiliation haven't heard of NFCU it is because they don't watch TV or listen to the radio. 

As I live in southern Colorado and Colorado Springs is home to the Air Force Academy and where many retired military live would explain why there is so much local advertising for NFCU.

Go Navy.jpg

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.