Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Credit Union

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Navy Federal Credit Union

Hi,

I’m a NFCU member and have a great relationship with them. A family member asked me to refer them, but I’m not sure if they are financially responsible so I’m hesitant. I’ve worked hard to rebuild and don’t want to mess up a good thing. What’s the best way to handle without offending my family member? Will their account status impact my relationship with NFCU?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Credit Union

If family member is outside the eligibility, there is your out.

• Parents
  • Grandparents
  • Spouses
  • Siblings
  • Children (including adopted and stepchildren)
  • Grandchildren

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope. I’m the link only left now.
Message 3 of 12
AllZero
Mega Contributor

There's your solution.

To answer your question, I don't think their account status will impact your relationship with Navy.

Maybe your family member can use your experience to help rebuild/build their profile?

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is what I was hoping to hear! I’m all in because I’ve definitely been helped along the way and am still being helped.
Message 5 of 12
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Only way it could impact you is if it were a joint account. Which, I'm sure you will not do. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 12
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

I agree with Allzero your profile and credit won't be impacted as long as you are not joint on the application. I wouldn't recommend being a Joint applicant...
Message 7 of 12
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@gingerflower wrote:
I agree with Allzero your profile and credit won't be impacted as long as you are not joint on the application. I wouldn't recommend being a Joint applicant...

Even if OP did open a joint account with said family member, that still wouldn't make the family member a member of NFCU. It's in their policy. Anyway I don't think OP was referencing a joint account, just a "way in" for said family member.

But yes OP,  rest assured, you can't sponsor them even if you wanted to unless they're directly related as mentioned above. Smiley Wink

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think your relationship will be impacted not unless you add them to your account.  In this way there will be impact on you.  But to be sure I would call and ask customer service then make your decision.

Message 9 of 12
gingerflower
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous I have referred  pretty much of my family members and today they are all thankful! bcuz now there credit is well established! 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.