Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never co-sign a loan. Never, ever ever.

tag
lithium78
Established Contributor

Never co-sign a loan. Never, ever ever.

Just minutes ago I got a score watch alert.  The auto loan I co-signed for my ex-girlfriend seven years ago went negative.  It seems that she missed the very last payment and failed to tell me about it in time.  I wish I could go back seven years ago and warn the younger version of me never to co-sign a loan for someone.  Especially a girlfriend.  I wish I had known back then all the information I know about credit now.

As it stands, my EQ score just plummeted 35 points.  I was going to have a clear credit report by the end of the year, but now that is over and done with.  My only option for a mortgage is going to be sub-prime and I won't be able to afford the interest.  I feel like my dreams have just died.

So, anybody reading this, don't make the mistake I made.  Never co-sign for anybody.  Never, ever ever.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 65
64 REPLIES 64
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: Never co-sign a loan. Never, ever ever.

FWIW,

The younger you wouldn't have listened. It's pretty hard to win an argument against hormones. Smiley Happy

Have you tried contacting the lender, yet?

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 2 of 65
lithium78
Established Contributor

I just got the score watch alert a few minutes ago so the credit union is already closed for the evening.  I'm going to have to try contacting them tomorrow.  This is a disaster.  I had almost made it to freedom and she had to take the very last moment to screw me (and herself in the process.)

Message 3 of 65
GregB
Valued Contributor

I would agree x1000 about never, ever cosigning a loan.

I would collect the pertinent information regarding the likely difference in the loan that you will get on your house. Then notify your ex that you intend to demand payment for the difference. If you keep a $200K house for a full 30 year mortgage, the difference between 4% and 5% will be $43,000. The difference betwwen 4% and 6% would be $89,000.

Don't forget that you need to keep the lawsuit within SOL.

Message 4 of 65
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Even if you have to make the last payment, get it deleted.

Is it remotely possible that her car was taken in on trade and final payment was made but funded after the due date? She may not have intentionally screwed you but cut things too close.

Hopefully the CU is forgiving.

Message 5 of 65
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Ouch on the co-sign. We all learn the hard way. Smiley Sad

It sounds like the loan was with a credit union, right? Are you still a member there? If so, I would hope that serious groveling on your part (including making that last payment) might be enough to make them pull back the reported late.

Good luck! and keep us posted.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 65
lithium78
Established Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

It sounds like the loan was with a credit union, right? Are you still a member there? If so, I would hope that serious groveling on your part (including making that last payment) might be enough to make them pull back the reported late.

I'm hoping that the credit union will help me out, especially since I'm the co-signer not the primary on the loan.  Somehow, she managed to stretch the loan out an extra year without penalty but she still managed to screw up the very last payment on it.  The loan is now PIF, so I have that going for me.  I'm sending out a GW letter in the morning and I'm going to call the CU in the afternoon to see if they can do something.

This is so frustrating, because my credit report would have been 100% clean by the end of the year and now this happens and I had absolutely no control over it.  When  I called my ex-gf to discuss it, she seemed completely unconcerned that she had just tanked my (and her) credit score. 

Message 7 of 65
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Crossing my fingers, toes, and eyes!

Message 8 of 65
FrugalRican
Blogger

@lithium78 wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I'm hoping that the credit union will help me out, especially since I'm the co-signer not the primary on the loan.  Somehow, she managed to stretch the loan out an extra year without penalty but she still managed to screw up the very last payment on it.  The loan is now PIF, so I have that going for me.  I'm sending out a GW letter in the morning and I'm going to call the CU in the afternoon to see if they can do something.

This is so frustrating, because my credit report would have been 100% clean by the end of the year and now this happens and I had absolutely no control over it.  When  I called my ex-gf to discuss it, she seemed completely unconcerned that she had just tanked my (and her) credit score. 

You probably gave her a reason to go have a glass of wine.

Chin up, I'm sure this will get resolved and hopefully serve as a lesson for others.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 9 of 65
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

So it sounds like this was a 60 month loan originally, streched into a 72 month loan ?    I'm really sorry to hear about the late pay ~ hopefully the CU will cut you some slack on it.  I think the fact that it is paid should help as well.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 10 of 65
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.