cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New blog article: How Expensive Are Dogs, Really?

tag
Elizabeth_FICO
myFICO Employee

New blog article: How Expensive Are Dogs, Really?

Hello everyone! If there's a new blog article that I think you guys might like I plan on posting it in the Forums. I wasn't sure which category this should be in but I figured pet relationships are also relationships!

This week's article is: How Expensive Are Dogs, Really?

Let me know what you think about the article.

For more content don't forget to check out our blog.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

Re: New blog article: How Expensive Are Dogs, Really?

Really enjoyed this article! 

Yes! Those vet bills can hit hard. Before I was able to rebuild my profile and qualify for good cards, it was a massive struggle to pay a sudden vet bill. Even scheduled visits could be tough as well. 

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 2 of 9
FishingGuy
Frequent Contributor

Perhaps you should add blogs on.....  How Expensive Are Girlfriends, Really?  or..... How Expensive Are Wives or Children Really?
Where it lists, date night, dinners, shows, gifts vacations and so forth.  For those that are in the  second two categories, you can add beauty salons, health insurance, dental bills, clothing, schooling, college etc, etc, etc and the list can go on and on and on. 
Every relationship has a cost.... some more than others.

Message 3 of 9
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Great article, and quite accurate lol

The one comment by way of feedback would be to point out the normal initial expenses for veterinary care for a new puppy, there are a couple of puppy visits for shots and confirm proper deworming and if it was not adopted from a shelter just the spay|neuter can itself cost on the order of around $500.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 4 of 9
calyx
Super Contributor

I like the medical costs... for you.
New (not trained to walk on the correct side) dog managed to hit me from behind on the stairs and I damaged my shoulder grabbing the bannister and wrenching it to prevent a tumble.   A few months of PT was not cheap!  

One interesting point I always make for new owners is whether or not pet insurance is "worth it"  (and that seems to be a hot topic for a lot of people).   There are a lot of different plans with lots of variability out there, and a number of people have done cost analysis.  It basically comes down to YMMV, but for those who opt out of pet insurance (like me), it's critical to keep a savings account for emergencies (beyond just budgeting regular costs of care).    

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 5 of 9
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriosity ....how expensive is your dog??? (hehehehehehe) LOL

Message 6 of 9
unsungivy
Established Contributor

@calyx wrote:

New (not trained to walk on the correct side) dog managed to hit me from behind on the stairs and I damaged my shoulder grabbing the bannister and wrenching it to prevent a tumble.   A few months of PT was not cheap!  

One interesting point I always make for new owners is whether or not pet insurance is "worth it"  (and that seems to be a hot topic for a lot of people).   There are a lot of different plans with lots of variability out there, and a number of people have done cost analysis.  It basically comes down to YMMV, but for those who opt out of pet insurance (like me), it's critical to keep a savings account for emergencies (beyond just budgeting regular costs of care).    

That's... a thing? Smiley Surprised Wow. I'm a cat person, and she makes it a game to AVOID me as she dashes past. Never would have occurred to me that dog people TRAIN dogs to use a specific side of the stairs!

SD - Biz -
Message 7 of 9
calyx
Super Contributor

@unsungivy wrote:

@calyx wrote:

That's... a thing? Smiley Surprised Wow. I'm a cat person, and she makes it a game to AVOID me as she dashes past. Never would have occurred to me that dog people TRAIN dogs to use a specific side of the stairs!

@unsungivy - They're not trained to walk on a specific side of the steps, but they are trained to always walk on the left side of their walker.   Sometimes when we're not officially "walking" (hiking, out on walks, other leashed or class activities), one of them 'forgets' and likes to try to dash around my right.

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't think about it before, but it turns out that the appearance of a dog needs to be thought out and planned in the same way as the appearance of a child, because it is almost as expensive. Thanks for the important and useful information!

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.